• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee drivers medical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
Hello all.

I have a medical upcoming and wonder if anyone has been through this with laser eye surgery.

I had it a few years ago. I have had no issues since.

I am aware that the ban on eye surgery has been lifted, will I require proof of said surgery at the medical or is simply stating I have had it enough for the doctor to go off before my eyesight is tested.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
When was the laser eye surgery ban lifted? Must have been pretty recent?

A couple of years ago. Its not exactly an outright lifting of the ban. More of a relaxing of the rules and allowing TOC's to set their own requirements. They can still say no if they wish I believe.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Was gonna say, could of swore I've still seen them asking about it on application forms.

It will always be there. If you have had it you must declare it but the TOC will then decide if they are willing to accept the risk. I believe you require additional medicals and there are still restrictions on the kind of Laser surgery you have.

A quick google will bring up vision standards for rail workers. There is a link somewhere on this forum with the restrictions and recommendations.

You can also now drive with a hearing aid !

Status
Not open for further replies.