• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee train conductor TfW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jilly70

I’ve got to the scaat stage for trainee train conductor at TfW based at a station in England. I’m just concerned I don’t speak Welsh. Does anyone have any advice regarding this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I’ve got to the scaat stage for trainee train conductor at TfW based at a station in England. I’m just concerned I don’t speak Welsh. Does anyone have any advice regarding this?
Did the job listing specify a requirement to speak Welsh? If not, you have nothing to worry about.

Plodster

There are some people in this thread that might be able to help

Last edited:

AgentGemini

Where did you apply to? Crewe, Chester or Shrews?

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I applied for Crewe several months ago, but still not heard anything back from them.

Sheridan

It’s absolutely not a requirement. If it came down to you and a welsh speaker at the final stage and everything else was equal, there is a chance that language ability might come into play, but that’s some way off and I wouldn’t worry about it. If you perform best in the interviews and tests you will get the job.

Jilly70

Did the job listing specify a requirement to speak Welsh? If not, you have nothing to worry about.
No it didn’t specify but on the application it does ask you a few questions as to whether you speak/read Welsh

Where did you apply to? Crewe, Chester or Shrews?
Shrewsbury

It’s absolutely not a requirement. If it came down to you and a welsh speaker at the final stage and everything else was equal, there is a chance that language ability might come into play, but that’s some way off and I wouldn’t worry about it. If you perform best in the interviews and tests you will get the job.
Thank you

wobman

On Moderation
No it didn’t specify but on the application it does ask you a few questions as to whether you speak/read Welsh

Shrewsbury

Thank you
Don't worry about speaking Welsh, if you want to learn there's classes but the majority of staff don't speak it to be honest.

AgentGemini

Does anyone know if TfW contact those they've rejected at the sift stage or do they just leave them hanging...?

L401CJF

Established Member
Does anyone know if TfW contact those they've rejected at the sift stage or do they just leave them hanging...?
Yes they do but there is a huge backlog of candidates and they're taking on loads of trainees so the process is somewhat slower than usual. Don't be surprised if you're left hanging for 6months or more before being rejected or put to the next stage!

Welsh isn't a requirement as already mentioned but there is an option to learn it throughout the career if you're successful!

AgentGemini

But here's a thought. If two candidates have applied for the same vacancy, and one has already had the next stage approval (SCAAT) and another is left 'hanging' in 'Shortlisting Hell' surely TFW have already made their minds up and so, it doesn't look good for the candidate who's not had a response or invite surely?

L401CJF

Established Member
But here's a thought. If two candidates have applied for the same vacancy, and one has already had the next stage approval (SCAAT) and another is left 'hanging' in 'Shortlisting Hell' surely TFW have already made their minds up and so, it doesn't look good for the candidate who's not had a response or invite surely?
No because its not for the same vacancy as such. Each job listing for each location isn't for 1 course starting on one days. They're taking on multiple candidates for multiple courses taking place over the next couple of years. If they've got their numbers already for the first couple of courses for a location, anybody else in the running will be paused until nearer the time for the next courses.

Not necessarily bad news.

Status
Not open for further replies.