• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Bournemouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PickleTree

Oh yeah my bad, I was thinking of the TRP test. Cheers for the reply though, much appreciated.

Do you know how you failed on part 3? Was it hard or just moment of lack of concentration?
I personally have passed all the tests and the MMI so can’t answer why. However part 3 of this test is one of those that truly tests to see if you have the necessary skills. Multi-tasking etc.

Nevergiveup

Part 3 is definitely the hardest of all tests, I thought I had failed incase I missed some symbols whilst getting all tones right but I managed to pass it, probably needed to circle enough symbols to pass

Nevergiveup

I’m not exactly sure how lives work but I think it’s 2 lives for each tests and not just the whole assessment stage.. so if you fail TEA but pass it next time and fail on something I guess you’d still have another life on something else
I really don't know wether to apply again or not, just seems so remote a chance getting through every test & the MMI with no lives left??

PickleTree

I’m not exactly sure how lives work but I think it’s 2 lives for each tests and not just the whole assessment stage.. so if you fail TEA but pass it next time and fail on something I guess you’d still have another life on something else
Pretty sure it’s 2 lives irrelevant of what test you fail. So effectively once you have failed any of the psychometric tests including MMI that is 1 life down.

Nevergiveup

Ouch if that’s true then I’m doomed, as I lost one life and I still have to pass computer tests + MMI
Pretty sure it’s 2 lives irrelevant of what test you fail. So effectively once you have failed any of the psychometric tests including MMI that is 1 life down.

UPS1550

Apparently got all the symbols but didn't get enough correct answers for the tones, Im sorry but I really don't think you can judge wether someone is suitable for a job on a 2 minute test, Im a gas engineer so constantly doing several things at once while repairing boilers etc, they say on the application to show how your current skills make you suitable to the role but the tests just don't take any of this into consideration & the practice materials (dated 13/14) are a disgrace I hate to think how many people must have failed GB because they've practiced looking for letters instead of dots, nothing similar at all, the GLOP test (TRP1) was dated 2002 and the pictures on the sheet were all of American trains/ wagons, not sure how that's supposed to be relevant at all to the test??

Last edited:

Twotwo

Apparently got all the symbols but didn't get enough correct answers for the tones, Im sorry but I really don't think you can judge wether someone is suitable for a job on a 2 minute test, Im a gas engineer so constantly doing several things at once while repairing boilers etc, they say on the application to show how your current skills make you suitable to the role but the tests just don't take any of this into consideration & the practice materials (dated 13/14) are a disgrace I hate to think how many people must have failed GB because they've practiced looking for letters instead of dots, nothing similar at all, the GLOP test (TRP1) was dated 2002 and the pictures on the sheet were all of American trains/ wagons, not sure how that's supposed to be relevant at all to the test??

Tbf I thought part 2 and 3 was the easiest. Someone on here posted a technique which I used on the day which was to circle the double symbols then when you hear the tones, stop, count the tones, then continue circling and so forth. Which helped as I managed to pass it.

For me part 1 was hard trying to distinguish between the high and low tones.

Windymoors

On Moderation

Hahahahahaha - me and my buddy in the mess were just laughing at this one and had to sign up to reply- funny how people who are not good enough decide to slam the tests and how pointless they are- this is pretty insulting to the guys and gals who have practised hard to pass the tests and go on to be a driver- the GB practice tests are an APPRECIATION of the tests, it's not meant to give you the real thing- you obviously do not have the skill to pass to the next stage nor the attitude to progress. Sort your attitude out and rethink and give it another go- take self-responsibility for the failure and don't blame the system! Then you MIGHT have a chance....

PickleTree

Hahahahahaha - me and my buddy in the mess were just laughing at this one and had to sign up to reply- funny how people who are not good enough decide to slam the tests and how pointless they are- this is pretty insulting to the guys and gals who have practised hard to pass the tests and go on to be a driver- the GB practice tests are an APPRECIATION of the tests, it's not meant to give you the real thing- you obviously do not have the skill to pass to the next stage nor the attitude to progress. Sort your attitude out and rethink and give it another go- take self-responsibility for the failure and don't blame the system! Then you MIGHT have a chance....
I agree re the materials, it is very clear when you get sent the material that it is a representation of the tests and is not a copy of the actual test. Personally I found the materials extremely helpful, I did print off some bourdon tests from on here other than that I worked through what I had been sent.

Driver jobs are so competitive these tests are designed to see where people’s strengths and weaknesses are and how these might relate to the train driver role. When you are in the process it can feel frustrating I know as you feel they haven’t got to know you as a person but you can only complete each stage and hope you are what they are looking for.

Windymoors

On Moderation
I agree re the materials, it is very clear when you get sent the material that it is a representation of the tests and is not a copy of the actual test. Personally I found the materials extremely helpful, I did print off some bourdon tests from on here other than that I worked through what I had been sent.

Driver jobs are so competitive these tests are designed to see where people’s strengths and weaknesses are and how these might relate to the train driver role. When you are in the process it can feel frustrating I know as you feel they haven’t got to know you as a person but you can only complete each stage and hope you are what they are looking for.

This is correct. Essentially, they are looking for a robot- someone who can follow processes as instructed, adapt to new processes (without forewarning) and critically, take self-responsibility- if you cock up in the driving grade- I strongly advise you to admit it...or......you'll be in a lot of bother....don't go shouting and crying blaming something else......if you can't follow processes (even when given a strong hint of what is coming up!) and you cannot evaluate your own failure and build on it- then....you might not cut it. NONE of the new tests are representative of driving a train- that is not what they are designed to do- if they were representative of it they would lock you in a room for 6 hours have you stare at a blank wall and stamp your foot every 60 seconds....

Twotwo

In part 3, I am sure there are no high tones, and the tones sound in isolation, not as part of a slow sequence.

Can't remember if the tones was high or low or both, but I guess that's irrelevant information as you are counting all the tones.

DunfordBridge

That is right. You hopefully count all the tones.

Going back to part 1, the sequence always starts with a low tone which is just as well, because the low tone is not as deep as it could be.

Nevergiveup

All the tests are not that difficult if practiced properly, I found them all so easy and the assessor actually helps a lot in explaining what needs to be done you just have to listen and follow instructions! As for MMI I think that could be the hardest of all

PickleTree

Can I ask anybody on here that applied for this vacancy, how many online tests did you have to complete as part of the initial application?

dctraindriver

Seriously I’d reconsider your attitude towards the test. You didn’t score highly enough on one test. That’s life. It happens to others however many get through it all, some use the wealth of experiences of others who share what the tests entail. All the info is somewhere in this forum, but alas it wasn’t to be.

Don’t feel sorry for yourself, take some responsibility for the fact you didn’t get the required mark, give it your all for your final chance to pass.

Its not the companies fault you didn’t pass, it’s yours.

Lenny_U

Applied back in Jan. I have already passed all the psychometric tests and the MMI with another FOC to an advanced standard so I am hoping I might only have to have a DMI if I get picked!
Hi, I have also applied back in January, didn't hear nothing till now!!!! I too passed all the other tests with another TOC , and recieved email from them around 3 weeks ago stating that I've passed online test and next stage will be an interview. But again haven't heard nothing since then. Have you recieved any email from them?

Status
Not open for further replies.