• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burt807

I was invited to the stage 1 assessment on 12th Aug but can't make it, so yes in a sense I'm still waiting for an alternative date.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
I am pretty sure they cannot disregard national industry level passes. Maybe you didn't pass to enhanced level they expected, but I can't imagine a scenario that they ask you to repeat tests that have been passed on expected level.
Some TOCs do indeed make you retake the assessments even if you have passed them before and they’re still apparently current (by current I mean within the limit that the TOC for which you’re applying accepts). I’ve heard GWR have done this before, and DB Cargo? GWR however accepted my scores? Most of my passes were getting quite old too, but well with the five year limit for GWR. Maybe if they were 4.5 years old it would be another matter? I don’t know.

TheAnswer89

Some TOCs do indeed make you retake the assessments even if you have passed them before and they’re still apparently current (by current I mean within the limit that the TOC for which you’re applying accepts). I’ve heard GWR have done this before, and DB Cargo? GWR however accepted my scores? Most of my passes were getting quite old too, but well with the five year limit for GWR. Maybe if they were 4.5 years old it would be another matter? I don’t know.

Well that might be the case, but I really doubt they would ask you to resit tests you have passed within a year or two. It's just waste of time and unnecessary stress put on a candidate.

Stigy

Established Member
Well that might be the case, but I really doubt they would ask you to resit tests you have passed within a year or two. It's just waste of time and unnecessary stress put on a candidate.
Maybe. Are they that bothered about stress to the candidate? Probably not as it’s a captive audience. It very much depends on their processes I guess.

Birtles8

I don’t suppose anyone has a contact number for the recruitment team just had a email to call but they seem to have put an incorrect number attached to it ?

mikeymikey

Yes happy to say passed all and now sitting in the talent pool, where are you in the process?

Sorry just realised you called me Ian, how did you get on are you also in the Pool ?
yes same as you I was at both your assessments. Did they give you any idea of when we may get on a course?

Birtles8

yes same as you I was at both your assessments. Did they give you any idea of when we may get on a course?
No indication of when a course may start I think many companies might be waiting to see what happens with Covid in the next few months, I guess just have to wait and hope be sooner rather then later.

LeonO

No indication of when a course may start I think many companies might be waiting to see what happens with Covid in the next few months, I guess just have to wait and hope be sooner rather then later.

I passed the computer tests and MMI last week, just waiting on DMI date now.

They said they’re looking to start the first school in October, with another starting every month or so. Also said they don’t expect anybody to be in the Talent Pool for the full 2 years, which was good to hear!

Birtles8

The existing trainee drivers aren't back yet with their instructors, they plan to have the trainees that have completed the classroom part next week. So everything is still being delayed due to covid unfortunately.
I think a few Tocs are in this position and are awaiting the last round of candidates to get back into cabs with there instructors, depends on Government guidelines changing

I passed the computer tests and MMI last week, just waiting on DMI date now.

They said they’re looking to start the first school in October, with another starting every month or so. Also said they don’t expect anybody to be in the Talent Pool for the full 2 years, which was good to hear!
I think they are saying you will only stay in for 2 Years not that you will be definitely in within that time scale

@Birtles8 @mikeymikey which depot did you apply for?
I have applied for Chester station

@LeonO Good luck with your DMI I’m sure it will be easy after getting through to this part, I had my DMI first.

Last edited:

mikeymikey

I think a few Tocs are in this position and are awaiting the last round of candidates to get back into cabs with there instructors, depends on Government guidelines changing

I think they are saying you will only stay in for 2 Years not that you will be definitely in within that time scale

@LeonO Good luck with your DMI I’m sure it will be easy after getting through to this part, I had my DMI first.
I also have applied chester Ian. We had 2 others with me and you do you know if they passed mmi?

LeonO

Thanks mate, appreciate it!

Jay.hgv

Is anybody else awaiting to hear regarding next stage for Chester ?

Evening, I think it was a month or so ago when I made the initial application. The advert expired on September 11th. Then they have been touch today about the assessments. Have they been in touch with you?
I literally just found this forum!

Birtles8

ok keep in touch on here any developements and I’ll do the same.
Will do fingers crossed we hear something soon, good luck

Evening, I think it was a month or so ago when I made the initial application. The advert expired on September 11th. Then they have been touch today about the assessments. Have they been in touch with you?
I literally just found this forum!
Yes passed the 2nd assessment day on the 3rd. Bet you are happy you have been put through well done good luck with the assessment.

Jay.hgv

Will do fingers crossed we hear something soon, good luck

Yes passed the 2nd assessment day on the 3rd. Bet you are happy you have been put through well done good luck with the assessment.

Yes I am really happy about it, from what I've read seems like a very long process. The email said if I am successful at this next stage with all the assessments then you have to go down to Cardiff for the computer tests? I'm going to work through the pack over the weekend and then the tests next week. Is there anything else I could do to best prepare myself?

Status
Not open for further replies.