• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee train driver interview Oxford

Status
Not open for further replies.

R2FUS

Hey Guys and Girls I have a possible final interview coming up for a trainee train driver role based in Oxford. Currently I'm based in Swansea and am looking to re-locate down to Oxford. Does anybody have any interview tips or information about the depot? Also maybe some good answers to the following question:

1. Have you done shift work before
2. Explain an emergency situation where you have been directly involved.
3. Why do you want to be a driver
4. If a work colleage had to describe you what would they say about you
5. Explain a time when you have worked in a team
6. Tell me what you know about the company
7. What is your sickness record
8.Have you had eye lazer surgery
9. How would you get to work at 3am in the morning!
10 have you ever worked alone or spent time on your own for long periods, ie. a hobby?
11. Give an example of a job you have done before that's similar to a train driver job?
12.Give an example where you have followed rules and procedures?
13.Have you studied for long periods of time and how have you dealt with it?
14.How do you feel about doing the same job over and over again?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andy-mc

Hey Guys and Girls I have a possible final interview coming up for a trainnie train driver role based in Oxford. Currently I'm based in Swansea and am looking to re-locate down to Oxford. Does anybody have any interview tips or information about the depot? Also maybe some good answers to the following question:

1. Have you done shift work before
2. Explain an emergency situation where you have been directly involved.
3. Why do you want to be a driver
4. If a work colleage had to describe you what would they say about you
5. Explain a time when you have worked in a team
6. Tell me what you know about the company
7. What is your sickness record
8.Have you had eye lazer surgery
9. How would you get to work at 3am in the morning!
10 have you ever worked alone or spent time on your own for long periods, ie. a hobby?
11. Give an example of a job you have done before that's similar to a train driver job?
12.Give an example where you have followed rules and procedures?
13.Have you studied for long periods of time and how have you dealt with it?
14.How do you feel about doing the same job over and over again?

congrats on the interview, unfortunately I'm unable to answer any questions on the depot and it is also a bit hard to help you answer any of those questions as they are very specific to your own personal experience and situation.
The best I can do is just offer you advice which is just to be honest and be yourself, interviewers can smell BS if you make anything up, have a look through the forums for any other tips

Good luck though

Last edited:

nick40uk

What do you want to know about the depot? I work at Oxford but in the carriage sidings as a shunter so I know some bits.

R2FUS

What do you want to know about the depot? I work at Oxford but in the carriage sidings as a shunter so I know some bits.

Hey Nick, Just some general stuff really like what units you currently maintain there? How many sets/units you fuel there a night? How many service roads you have? How big is the workforce including shunters,engineering and depot drivers. This might sound stupid but the postcode/location of the depot so I can look for Accommodation which is close to it. Any recommendations? Probably rent a room to start with if I'm successfull and then look at buying a property down that way. Any recommendations on good affordable areas and areas to avoid maybe.

nick40uk

Hey Nick, Just some general stuff really like what units you currently maintain there? How many sets/units you fuel there a night? How many service roads you have? How big is the workforce including shunters,engineering and depot drivers. This might sound stupid but the postcode/location of the depot so I can look for Accommodation which is close to it. Any recommendations? Probably rent a room to start with if I'm successfull and then look at buying a property down that way. Any recommendations on good affordable areas and areas to avoid maybe.

I'll PM you

FGW_DID

Established Member

Oxford "Depot" is a Train Crew Depot. It's just a collection of Offices at Oxford Stn.
There are units stabled in the carriage sidings at night where they are cleaned and prepped. Any driving required there is done by main line drivers, no depot drivers.

All engineering is carried out down at Reading Train Care Depot

As for accommodation, buying in Oxford, I hope you have lots of savings, big pockets, a mahoosive wallet or know the winning numbers to next weeks lottery!
I may be biased but look at areas to the North/ West of Oxford: Kidlington, Eynsham, Witney, Carterton. Have a look on Right Move to give yourself some ideas. (Postcode for Oxford Railway Stn is OX1 1HS)

R2FUS

Oxford "Depot" is a Train Crew Depot. It's just a collection of Offices at Oxford Stn.
There are units stabled in the carriage sidings at night where they are cleaned and prepped. Any driving required there is done by main line drivers, no depot drivers.

All engineering is carried out down at Reading Train Care Depot

As for accommodation, buying in Oxford, I hope you have lots of savings, big pockets, a mahoosive wallet or know the winning numbers to next weeks lottery!
I may be biased but look at areas to the North/ West of Oxford: Kidlington, Eynsham, Witney, Carterton. Have a look on Right Move to give yourself some ideas. (Postcode for Oxford Railway Stn is OX1 1HS)

I knew Oxford would be expensive. I'll check them areas out thanks

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Can anyone give me a list of the LTV depots? Would be grateful, forms part of my research for a Resourcing role I've applied for! Thanks

FGW_DID

Established Member
LTV Depots (Train Crew): Paddington, Reading & Oxford.
Engineering: Reading Train Care Depot.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Cheers, don't happen to know most of the rest do you?

That is the LTV depots!

Old Oak Common maintains the class 180s (operated by LTV) but is mainly associated with the HSS (High Speed & Sleeper) part of the business.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Sorry, bit of a misunderstanding, I meant the rest as in the depots that aren't LTV

FGW_DID

Established Member
Sorry, bit of a misunderstanding, I meant the rest as in the depots that aren't LTV

Engineering:
Old Oak Common
Reading TCD
Landore (Swansea)
Exeter
Laira
Long Rock (Penzance)

(North Pole, Stoke Gifford & Maliphant (Swansea) are the IEP depots but are Hitachi operated)

Train Crew: ( help me out here folks)
Paddington
Reading
Oxford
Bristol
Westbury
Fratton
Exeter
Swansea
Penzance
Par (noted from another thread :D)
Plymouth??

Last edited:

tlionhart

Engineering:
Old Oak Common
Reading TCD
Landore (Swansea)
Exeter
Laira
Long Rock (Penzance)

(North Pole, Stoke Gifford & Maliphant (Swansea) are the IEP depots but are Hitachi operated)

Train Crew: ( help me out here folks)
Paddington
Reading
Oxford
Bristol
Westbury
Fratton
Exeter
Swansea
Penzance
Par (noted from another thread :D)
Plymouth??

Gloucester ;)
And as your rightly say Plymouth has a train crew depot (HSS)

You could even add Redhill to the list too. A small handful of Conductors and Southern drivers based there drive the Redhill-Reading

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.