• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee train driver - Liverpool and Sheffield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigy

Established Member
I’m fairly new to this myself mate but from reading on here folk don’t often give hints/help on the type of questions on these online tests, pretty understandable really considering we are all applying for the same job (not wanting to give competition any advantage). The sjt I just answered honestly, I then got an invite to the 2nd part of the assessment. Like the above poster said it wasn’t particularly challenging it’s just probably designed to judge your speed and accuracy. Good luck
It’s largely because there’s no right or wrong answers in the SJT as such. It’s intended to be undertaken as you did, honestly. That’s the whole idea of it, to see what you’re decision making is like and whether you’re a suitable match for the role (could be any role). They often ask the same questions several times in a different way to check that you’re not just saying what you think they want to hear, too.

I’ve found from the numerous variations of SJT/E I’ve done over the years, that there often NOT a ‘silly’ answer as it were, and all are deliberately very similar. The scoring very much depends on what the trend is too as to whether you pass, and just because you don’t, doesn’t mean you’re not cut out for the job necessarily, it just means that the calibre of candidate were generally higher scoring than you. If you score an over all ‘C’ that might be sufficient on one attempt, if most others got CS and Ds, but not sufficient if the majority were exceptional and all got an A. Hope this makes sense.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi, not too sure if I failed the first assessment or whether the system has flagged me as being within the 6 months from when I got my rejection email last time? I got through both tests last time. I thought it was six months from the closing date of the last application but I could be wrong. Emailed them to find out anyway.

Orange08

Whats the ideal time to do the second test in? Matching the letters?
That will probably only become apparent once we see who has passed and failed. I probably cocked mine up. Think I had got about 31 done and still had well over 2 minutes left so I concentrated on accuracy on the remaining ones not really thinking how quick you do them could also have a bearing on if you get put through or now.

Flow1

That will probably only become apparent once we see who has passed and failed. I probably cocked mine up. Think I had got about 31 done and still had well over 2 minutes left so I concentrated on accuracy on the remaining ones not really thinking how quick you do them could also have a bearing on if you get put through or now.
What was the time limit on the test?

Orange08

If you looked at the top right of the screen the timer was counting down. It started to flash when you got under 2 minutes remaining I think. I only noticed it a few questions in and at that point it was still reading above 5 mins that’s only reason I guessed at maybe 6 mins.

TreacleMiller

Ive gone for this too, ideal for me.

1st assessment done SJT?. Second assessment was emailed immediately and completed.

Nothing since, but it was 1am. :D

Here cometh the inbox refresh days! :rolleyes:

Matt85

You should get an email pretty quick once you’ve done both assessments just saying they’ve received them.

Flow1

Ive gone for this too, ideal for me.

1st assessment done SJT?. Second assessment was emailed immediately and completed.

Nothing since, but it was 1am. :D

Here cometh the inbox refresh days! :rolleyes:
I guess we'll hear after the 8th June, closing date for applications? Still checking my email every day though

TheRailMan

Hi, not too sure if I failed the first assessment or whether the system has flagged me as being within the 6 months from when I got my rejection email last time? I got through both tests last time. I thought it was six months from the closing date of the last application but I could be wrong. Emailed them to find out anyway.
I’m in the same boat as you... got through both of them last time the jobs were advertised but only managed to get through the first one this time. No second assessment. Had an email today too saying I haven’t been successful

Last edited:

Soddit

Closing date for applications is today now instead of the 8th June.

I noticed this, I’ve just completed my judgement test but having an error come up for the numerical test. it won’t let me start it

anyone else having the same issue?

I’m in the same boat as you... got through both of them last time the jobs were advertised but only managed to get through the first one this time. No second assessment. Had an email today too saying I haven’t been successful

I know its frustrating, I emailed them and they said I had failed it but o well ill try again after 6 months have elapsed unless I am successful elsewhere. Would not mind having a go at trying to get into Cargo to be honest.

Flow1

I noticed this, I’ve just completed my judgement test but having an error come up for the numerical test. it won’t let me start it

anyone else having the same issue?
Did you manage to get on the second assessment?

Atishyou

Just curious if anyone knows which routes the driver signs for these two depots. Will a driver take the train from Liverpool all the way to Newcastle and Scarborough?

Sheffield currently sign 185s

And sign Cleethorpes - Manchester Pic mainline, diversions via Thrybergh, Rotherham Central and Woodburn jnc, Romiley.

To / from Crofton both via Doncaster and Swinton

Also Sheffield / Crofton - Manchester Pic via Huddersfield.

Manchester Piccadily - Manchester Airport

Manda2194

Sheffield currently sign 185s

And sign Cleethorpes - Manchester Pic mainline, diversions via Thrybergh, Rotherham Central and Woodburn jnc, Romiley.

To / from Crofton both via Doncaster and Swinton

Also Sheffield / Crofton - Manchester Pic via Huddersfield.

Manchester Piccadily - Manchester Airport

Would I be right in saying that Sheffield is one of the smaller TPE depots. The impression I get is Liverpool, Manchester and York are the biggest.

Cassy j

Where does training take place for sheffield ? Do they give you a hotel to stay in?

Atishyou

Where does training take place for sheffield ? Do they give you a hotel to stay in?

Think all classroom based training would be at Huddersfield and it probably depends on where you live with regards to vicinity to Huddersfield. Maybe ask some of the trainees in the current TPE training thread?

Last edited:

Moose27

Think all classroom based training would be at Huddersfield and it probably depends on where you live with regards to vicinity to Huddersfield. Maybe ask some of the trainees in the current TPE training thread?

Huddersfield for first bit of classroom, could be Manchester, Doncaster or Newcastle for others I’m lead to believe.

Manda2194

Hi guys. I was hoping to get some advice. I checked my profile last night on the application for the previous experience section and for some reason 2 out of the 3 jobs I described have come up as blank even though I know I filled it in. I was very close to the 5000 character limit in the first section so I don't know if that's the problem. Perhaps it was 5000 words for all jobs

Has anyone else experienced this and Its nothing to worry about or is it worth an email to HR to explain? I am certain it was filled in.

Status
Not open for further replies.