• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Virgin Trains East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
5 secs to answer a question. Do they think people have super powers or something. :|

You're thundering down the ECML at 125mph or 55 meters per second. You see an adverse signal ahead how long do you have to react? Remember in five seconds you'll have covered 280m! Better start putting those brakes on soon...

HD-VTWIN

There is nothing that can be done by continually trying to ring or contact them for information. I waited 18 months before I got my chance.

In fact, during my training, the instructors told us of one individual who was taken out of the talent pool and formally written to asking him to stop contacting them!

There is absolutely nothing that can be done by contacting the TOC and you will never receive any information until they are ready to tell you, in which case you will be told very quickly.

Ever wonder why TOC's keep their HR and recruitment office numbers hidden as much as possible? To stop you pestering them!

In a 'previous life' when I joined the Merchant Navy, it was quite similar. I did all of the interviews etc and waited for months then out of the blue I got notice to go and within 3 weeks I was joining a ship in the West Indies. I did not feel the need to contact HR during the waiting period.

mmbeak78

Any one care to share what their rejection email says as I have received the glitch email but no email before?

Here you go (this is the second rejection email that I received this afternoon, which now includes the T&C's pertaining to the 25% travel discount):

Hello,

Thanks for putting your hat in the ring by recently applying for a role as an Azuma Driver! It’s fantastic that you were interested in joining the team.

I’m writing to let you know that, sadly, we won’t be taking your application further. We had a lot of very strong applications which made it a very tough decision.

We know that job applications can be a drag, so as a thank you for taking the time to put yourself forward, we’d like to invite you aboard one of our trains! This code – AzumaRec – lets you get 25% off bookings of Virgin Trains East Coast lowest Standard Advance tickets during November. Just check out the offer small print below then head to virgintrainseastcoast.com/thankyou through the link to buy your tickets. We hope you’ll be able to use your discount to enjoy some days out with us!

Go to offer
https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/thankyou

Thank you once again for wanting to join the team. We really do appreciate your time and wish you all the very best of luck with your job hunt!

The Virgin Trains Talent Team

25% discount terms and conditions
25% discount applies to our lowest Virgin Trains East Coast Standard Advance tickets only, for travel on Virgin Trains East Coast services until 24 February 2017
25% discount offer not valid for Virgin Trains services on the west coast.
Discount code can only be used when booking through the promotional link on the email or this landing page.
Max 4 tickets per person (max 2 adults, max 2 children, min 1 adult, min 0 children)
Discount code can only be used once.
Discount is not valid in conjunction with any other offers or discounts.
Tickets are subject to availability and there is very limited availability at peak times.
Excluded travel dates are 17 December 2016 to 2 January 2017, and 4 and 5 February 2017 inclusive.
Usual Advance terms and conditions apply.

atochopefull

I've had no communication in error or otherwise. Start to wonder whether my email was received in the first place?

ZackCulross

Here you go (this is the second rejection email that I received this afternoon, which now includes the T&C's pertaining to the 25% travel discount):

Hello,

Thanks for putting your hat in the ring by recently applying for a role as an Azuma Driver! It’s fantastic that you were interested in joining the team.

I’m writing to let you know that, sadly, we won’t be taking your application further. We had a lot of very strong applications which made it a very tough decision.

We know that job applications can be a drag, so as a thank you for taking the time to put yourself forward, we’d like to invite you aboard one of our trains! This code – AzumaRec – lets you get 25% off bookings of Virgin Trains East Coast lowest Standard Advance tickets during November. Just check out the offer small print below then head to virgintrainseastcoast.com/thankyou through the link to buy your tickets. We hope you’ll be able to use your discount to enjoy some days out with us!

Go to offer

Thank you once again for wanting to join the team. We really do appreciate your time and wish you all the very best of luck with your job hunt!

The Virgin Trains Talent Team

25% discount terms and conditions
25% discount applies to our lowest Virgin Trains East Coast Standard Advance tickets only, for travel on Virgin Trains East Coast services until 24 February 2017
25% discount offer not valid for Virgin Trains services on the west coast.
Discount code can only be used when booking through the promotional link on the email or this landing page.
Max 4 tickets per person (max 2 adults, max 2 children, min 1 adult, min 0 children)
Discount code can only be used once.
Discount is not valid in conjunction with any other offers or discounts.
Tickets are subject to availability and there is very limited availability at peak times.
Excluded travel dates are 17 December 2016 to 2 January 2017, and 4 and 5 February 2017 inclusive.
Usual Advance terms and conditions apply.

This gives me some glimer of hope, this is an email i received.

Hello,

I have been made aware that there has been a glitch with your 25% off code, apologies about that, however we have got it working now!

This code – AzumaRec – lets you get 25% off bookings of Virgin Trains East Coast lowest Standard Advance tickets during November. Just check out the offer small print below then head to virgintrainseastcoast.com/thankyou *through the link to buy your tickets. We hope you’ll be able to use your discount to enjoy some days out with us!

Go to offer

The Virgin Trains Talent Team.

Last edited:

nata

I applied on 11th for Leeds or Doncaster. Answered all 5 questions, stuck to 100 words for two of them. I'm a female working in a completely unrelated office based job, but I'd undertaken my own private ability testing last year as I want a career change, and train driving is a good match.

Not heard anything at all. Was just going with the flow, I know my chances are low, but this most recent discount email has me on edge!

Now wondering if my application just didn't get through at all.

I applied on 11th for Leeds or Doncaster. Answered all 5 questions, stuck to 100 words for two of them. I'm a female working in a completely unrelated office based job, but I'd undertaken my own private ability testing last year as I want a career change, and train driving is a good match.

Not heard anything at all. Was just going with the flow, I know my chances are low, but this most recent discount email has me on edge!

Now wondering if my application just didn't get through at all.

Have you received the email or not?

They seem to be getting nearer Leeds area now I know around 15 people that have applied and none had heard until 3pm yesterday and now 7/15 have a rejection!!

Craig26

Got a feeling that the glitch email might just be that a glitch email sent out in error...I hope. Thanks for the information

Hopeful2015

This gives me some glimer of hope, this is an email i received.

Hello,

I have been made aware that there has been a glitch with your 25% off code, apologies about that, however we have got it working now!

This code – AzumaRec – lets you get 25% off bookings of Virgin Trains East Coast lowest Standard Advance tickets during November. Just check out the offer small print below then head to virgintrainseastcoast.com/thankyou *through the link to buy your tickets. We hope you’ll be able to use your discount to enjoy some days out with us!

Go to offer

The Virgin Trains Talent Team.

By the way they are wishing you the best of luck in your job hunt I reckon that's a no im afraid

mmbeak78

By the way they are wishing you the best of luck in your job hunt I reckon that's a no im afraid

While that's certainly a possibility (the email may have been wrongly sent out to unsuccessful candidates prior to getting the rejection email), I wouldn't give up hope until you actually get the rejection email.

Last edited:

Ewie13

I genuinely can't think of a job I'd actually give my right arm for. Lol

I can.... product tester in a right arm cyborg laboratory .....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
This is an open question to everybody really..... would there be this much interest and overwhelming desire to be a train driver if it paid as national minimum wage and the benefits were that of a unskilled job?

Is it a dream job or a dream salary? How many applicants can put hand on heart and say they'd do it for a 60% pay cut?

Hopeful2015

This is an open question to everybody really..... would there be this much interest and overwhelming desire to be a train driver if it paid as national minimum wage and the benefits were that of a unskilled job?

Is it a dream job or a dream salary? How many applicants can put hand on heart and say they'd do it for a 60% pay cut?

I'd do it for my wage now. Which is less than half the full salary of a driver.

SkinnyDave

Established Member

I took a sizeable pay cut to go driving so I would answer that I am not in it for the money although I would not do it for minimum wage either.
Being able to go to your work, do your job and the end of the shift that is you done for the day means a lot more to me!
It can get boring and samey quite a bit but I would not change it for anything else.

martin2345uk

Established Member
I've just been invited to take the assessment!
Genuinely surprised as with hindsight my cover letter was not great. Maybe they've literally picked people at random!

Ewie13

I took a sizeable pay cut to go driving so I would answer that I am not in it for the money although I would not do it for minimum wage either.
Being able to go to your work, do your job and the end of the shift that is you done for the day means a lot more to me!
It can get boring and samey quite a bit but I would not change it for anything else.

I can fully relate Skinny Dave, I am willing to take a pay cut to be a driver. I do enjoy what I do, it's just not what I want to do....

Sam Slade

No prior experience required, don't need a degree or similar qualification, don't need to be an internal candidate to be successful, large salary.

Are your motives nothing to do with money? Are you like a Miss World contestant?...." I want to travel the world and help the elderly and sick " :D

Swampster

I've just recieved my thank you for applying email AGAIN and a checking test link AGAIN.

Now the question is do you do it again? You might get a better score, you might not... the dilemma :roll:

As for whether I'd have applied if the salary was much lower, then honestly.. yes I would have! When I made my application I actually had no salary expectations or idea of what they were going to be paying.. for me it's about a change of career, new challenges and a hankering to do something that life in general has previously got in the way of me pursuing previously.

To qualify that however... I wouldn't be changing career for a minimum wage! I assumed it'd be around what I am already earning or better... :)

Last edited:

dugster70

What a ridiculous post that's like saying would a brain surgeon work for minimum wage errr no

I've just been invited to take the assessment!
Genuinely surprised as with hindsight my cover letter was not great. Maybe they've literally picked people at random!

Pleased for you well done hope you do well!!
Where did you apply for?
What a ridiculous post that's like saying would a brain surgeon work for minimum wage errr no

I agree with you

atochopefull

Invited to take the test. Email received at 1655hrs. Commiserations to those who have been unlucky. Those who have got this far, I feel, still have a very long way to go. Says I need a mouse to do the test. Anyone done it without a mouse? Is it impossible to do without a mouse?

5thrail

Invited to take the test. Email received at 1655hrs. Commiserations to those who have been unlucky. Those who have got this far, I feel, still have a very long way to go. Says I need a mouse to do the test. Anyone done it without a mouse? Is it impossible to do without a mouse?

I did with mousepad. Really not that mouse dependant as all choices in a vertical line. Do the practice and see how you get on and where to place cursor before you start. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.