• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Virgin Trains East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I'm thinking they might have only sent tests to borderline passes. Maybe I'll get a straight invite to assessment. That's optimism

I like your theory and hope you are right!!! Depends how many times you wrote amazing in your cover letter I think

Belgarion

I'm thinking they might have only sent tests to borderline passes. Maybe I'll get a straight invite to assessment. That's optimism

That just made me chortle and almost choke on my coffee. I think you defo should just go straight to assessment for being enthusiastically optimistic. Brilliant :lol::lol:

marshyc

I didn't really mention any skills in my cover letter :-/ and my CV is that of an office monkey so yeah I'm gonna say a large part of my getting through to the tests was luck!

I think there is something in this. It really doesn't seem like there's any consistency for people who are getting through. I have a good number of transferable skills and that was clear in my CV and in the opening paragraph of my cover letter. Who knows what they're looking for? :-?

Last edited:

Economist

I presume the optimistically scheduled assessment day for the 8th November has been postponed. I'm still pretty sure there'll be no more than 30-40 people each day on those 10 assessments. So, guessing slightly, but assuming the 15,000 applicants have been sifted and reduced to 1000 people sent the online checking tests, if you get in the top 30-40% score you'll be on an assessment day. Makes me feel a bit happier.

Working backwards they need 78 drivers. So, I reckon they'd invite between 150-200 to a DMI (MTR Crossrail were quoted in a magazine in interviewing 250-ish for 120-ish positions at Ilford). That is of course assuming that there is a DMI, their website didn't mention one.

Even if there's no DMI I'd say they'd need at least a few hundred for the psychometrics, which would mean over 500, possibly closer to 1,000 for the group assessments.

I don't know how they'll organise the group assessments but I'd say they'll be pretty huge.

choochoochoo

Established Member
I think there is something in this. It really doesn't seem like there's any consistency for people who are getting through. I have a good number of transferable skills and that was clear in my CV and in the opening paragraph of my cover letter. Who knows what they're looking for? :-?

That's what happens when you get generic HR staff shortlisting candidates for a technical position. Unfortunately, they're cheaper to employ than a technically minded person who can spot the talent. You need to spell things out in idiot-proof language to get noticed.

It was apparent that this was going to overrun as soon as you see the staff more interested in halloween decorations than sorting out a huge pile of applications. Priorities !!

And before anyone says I'm being bitter, I got my online assessments all done and am hopefully waiting for assessment dates. I don't hold out much hope of an assessment on the 8th !!

Coddy1983

Hi guys,well done to those who have managed to get passed the application stage.
Is it just me who hasn't heard anything back yet

Working backwards they need 78 drivers. So, I reckon they'd invite between 150-200 to a DMI (MTR Crossrail were quoted in a magazine in interviewing 250-ish for 120-ish positions at Ilford). That is of course assuming that there is a DMI, their website didn't mention one.

Even if there's no DMI I'd say they'd need at least a few hundred for the psychometrics, which would mean over 500, possibly closer to 1,000 for the group assessments.

I don't know how they'll organise the group assessments but I'd say they'll be pretty huge.

You get my hopes up further!

Any idea what the pass rate is for the psycometrics? When I originally did mine there were 15 of us at stage 1 (they'd asked 25 to attend but amazingly ten didn't bother!!!) and three of fifteen failed. Then on day 2 we were in groups of 6 of which no-one failed the computer bits, no idea about the MMI as one is informed by telephone at that stage. Therefore I'd say there was a better than 50% pass rate at the psycometrics, afterall these are not folk chosen at random, a "talent team(!)" will have identified people they think will pass.

To get an exact number the DMI would normally be done second, but in Virgin's case all that seems to be done first so they will be hedging their bets a bit. If they excede the stated quota I guess there will be the dreaded "talent pool" or they could just stick the excess up the West Coast I guess, lol.

bagazon

Hi guys

Instead of funny comments and bitter one's could you please tell me if you log in and do your practice test can you log out and come back for actual test later on?
Congrats to all invited to do the tests!
We have beaten 14000 according to comments here,so now the easiest part: to beat 2/3 of us and go to the assessment!
Good luck!

Tgh75

Heard back yday late afternoon. Didn't make the grade. Keep on keeping on.

class 9

I don't know whether there will be a DMI, as the Driver Managers were not even consulted about this recruitment drive and certainly haven't had any involvement so far .

martin2345uk

Established Member
Just completed the online test. Blimey it got a bit intense! I did the practice a few times but never once got a perfect score :(

So there we go, it's done but I'm not exactly hopeful that I did well enough to go through to the next stage.

marshyc

That's what happens when you get generic HR staff shortlisting candidates for a technical position. Unfortunately, they're cheaper to employ than a technically minded person who can spot the talent. You need to spell things out in idiot-proof language to get noticed.

It was apparent that this was going to overrun as soon as you see the staff more interested in halloween decorations than sorting out a huge pile of applications. Priorities !!

And before anyone says I'm being bitter, I got my online assessments all done and am hopefully waiting for assessment dates. I don't hold out much hope of an assessment on the 8th !!

I think you're right. Not really fair but I guess life ain't really. I'm just dissapointed not to even get a shot at it when others have with, from their own admission, not the best cover letter and CV.

Good luck with your ongoing application.

Vik10

No in actual fact you said that cv's would have been flicked through by some office girl with no technical knowledge. Which in itself is a derogatory statement. You haven't been successful and your comment smacks of sour grapes.
And I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only person that was nervy about the online test as many of the other guys also said similar things. You also probably didn't need to tell me how important you were in your current role in your reply to me, but whatever makes you feel better...

See your doing it again, sour grapes!!! You really need to stop jumping to conclusions.
My original comments were made to start a debate on the recruitment process, like they did. Had a guy say the girls know what they are doing and looking for certain words, another asking did I put over my experience in my cover letter, another say his cover letter was not that good then comment that his CV was only a general office one, a good conversation what the forum is designed for. Then someone had to come on trying to patronise me with the idiotic stock answer post of with that attitude.
I gave a brief explanation of my current position to try and justify that I would not be where I was if I had such a bad attitude. My mistake as I don't need to justify myself to you.
Like I said if you're nerves aren't that good maybe driving a high speed train is not for you.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't know whether there will be a DMI, as the Driver Managers were not even consulted about this recruitment drive and certainly haven't had any involvement so far .

Like I have been trying to say, from what I have read on here not the best recruiting. But with 15000 applicants it was always going to be.
I have seen with my own eyes a pile of CV's thinned down by just looking at the addres, any from not the same town as the team leader doing the initial sift were binned without reading any of it.
Not fair at all but with a stack of CV's you can afford to do it your always going to end up with some suitable applicants and don't have to waste days reading CV's

Last edited:

martin2345uk

Established Member
Did anyone who took the checking test get any kind of email confirmation once they'd completed it..?

choochoochoo

Established Member
I think you're right. Not really fair but I guess life ain't really. I'm just dissapointed not to even get a shot at it when others have with, from their own admission, not the best cover letter and CV.

Good luck with your ongoing application.

Agreed. Definitely not the fairest recruitment program. But sadly they don't have to be fair.

I know other candidates with transferable skills who have had the PFO email from them, including Bus Drivers and Airline Pilots.

Thanks for good wishes, but I don't fancy my chances at the interview stage. Think they're looking for PR characters rather than reliable train drivers. Hopefully I get all the tests done and out of the way, so when another TOC advertises I won't have to do them again.

Jonno6699

Just completed the online test. Blimey it got a bit intense! I did the practice a few times but never once got a perfect score :(

So there we go, it's done but I'm not exactly hopeful that I did well enough to go through to the next stage.

Same here, good luck!
Didn't get a confirmation email, but did get the same email requesting to take the test that I originally had ?? So just ignored it, as the SHL home screen said I had no assessments outstanding.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Same here, good luck!
Didn't get a confirmation email, but did get the same email requesting to take the test that I originally had ?? So just ignored it, as the SHL home screen said I had no assessments outstanding.

Yeah same here, once I had registered with the testing people I got a second email asking me to do the test, the same as the first email.

Hope we don't have to wait tooooo long to find out if we screwed it up :)

Good luck to you too!!

Economist

As for the online test, when I did the same test for another TOC, I got something like 21/25 in my practice attempt and I reckon slightly lower in the real thing and passed. I would be inclined to think that 20+ is a decent score.

Slightly worrying if the DMs haven't been consulted about this programme though.

Last edited:
As for the online test, when I did the same test for another TOC, I got something like 21/25 in my practice attempt and I reckon slightly lower in the real thing and passed. I would be inclined to think that 20+ is a decent score.

Slightly worrying if the DMs haven't been consulted about this programme though.

Most railway recruitment works like that. Depots have a headcount. With the new services planned on the East Coast, HR will know how many drivers they need when and where. These will be advertised. HR (or the talent pool) then do the sift.

The DMI's first contact will be on the Virgin run assessment days. As you sit there on your group exercise and debate which member of a shipwreck you are going to eat first they'll be the people taking notes. If, as I would assume to be the case, there will be competency based interviews on these days, the DMI will sit in or carry out these. They'll then select the people they want to fund through the OPC tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.