• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Virgin Trains East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kit.Frank

Remaining applications getting sifted tomorrow...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161106-114156.jpg
    Screenshot_20161106-114156.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 156

martin2345uk

Established Member
Good news. Wonder if they didn't expect as many applications as they ended up getting!

bugalugs

I received an email starting "I have been made aware that there has been a glitch with your 25% off code, apologies about that, however we have got it working now!".

After checking junk and trash folders and feeling like I may have missed something (although I was pretty sure that I hadn't), this is my only 'response' from them. I'm assuming that the fact it sounds like a second email is a mistake, and I should read it as a decline?

Apples&Pears

Yes if you go back earlier in the thread I also got this. I've queried it but I'm working on theory I've failed.

bugalugs

Yes if you go back earlier in the thread I also got this. I've queried it but I'm working on theory I've failed.

Thanks for the response. I tried to look back, but started to get a bit of a headache after reading 3 or 4 pages of some of the more recent posts that are a little less than positive :roll:

I'm fortunate in that I'm in a job within the railway that I enjoy, but driving (in terms of job security, satisfaction and the wages) would have been the icing on the cake.

Davebirty

Might just be me being a bitter rejected applicant but I wonder how many people got through to the online testing stage, and are actually thick as pig s@#t and have no interest in the job what so ever!! Instead just saw the £57000 pay packet!!! But they could right an awesome letter. That space could of gone to someone with actual interest!! ????????????????????????

martin2345uk

Established Member
Might just be me being a bitter rejected applicant but I wonder how many people got through to the online testing stage, and are actually thick as pig s@#t and have no interest in the job what so ever!! Instead just saw the £57000 pay packet!!! But they could right an awesome letter. That space could of gone to someone with actual interest!! ��������

But how could they tell someone with actual interest from someone without, in the very early stages?

marshyc

Might just be me being a bitter rejected applicant but I wonder how many people got through to the online testing stage, and are actually thick as pig s@#t and have no interest in the job what so ever!! Instead just saw the £57000 pay packet!!! But they could right an awesome letter. That space could of gone to someone with actual interest!! ��������

According to some who got through they didn't even write an awesome letter and their cv wasn't up to much either! I think it seems luck might have played a big part :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
But how could they tell someone with actual interest from someone without, in the very early stages?

I think that would come across in the letter in the answers to the questions and the cv would show any transferable skills etc. If they were looked at properly by people who knew what they were looking for.

Davebirty

I personally think everyone of us should of been put through the online tests. That would of been a much fairer way of sifting probably by half!!!

8J

I suspect a few but being bitter doesn't help you out and there are probably some excellent candidates for the job still in the process. Have you checked your spelling punctuation and grammar was right? As last time I checked you had to write a letter...

martin2345uk

Established Member
I received an email starting "I have been made aware that there has been a glitch with your 25% off code, apologies about that, however we have got it working now!".

After checking junk and trash folders and feeling like I may have missed something (although I was pretty sure that I hadn't), this is my only 'response' from them. I'm assuming that the fact it sounds like a second email is a mistake, and I should read it as a decline?

According to them on Twitter the "glitch" email does mean you've not been shortlisted :|

atochopefull

Think I messed up the test tbh! Missed about 3 and probably got about 2 wrong as well. So I'm not holding much hope.

How much practise did people put in before the test? Purchasing practise tests or using free online examples?

nom de guerre

With respect, an applicant who is - as you so charmingly put it - "thick as pig s@#t" is unlikely to be able to "right" an "awesome" letter [sic].

And it does reek slightly of sour grapes when the person criticising others' intelligence hasn't even bothered to spell-check their own contribution.

In any case, who's to say that a trainee driver motivated principally by money won't be equally as conscientious an employee as a colleague who has been a 'spotter since childhood? I've seen plenty of posts on here from drivers who openly admit that they had/have zero interest in trains.

martin2345uk

Established Member
How much practise did people put in before the test? Purchasing practise tests or using free online examples?

I used the practice one they supply and that's it. I was wary of over-practicing and then finding the real test different slightly. Which did actually happen anyway!

kickin aff

The company would never put every applicant forward for the online assessment. They have used a private company for the online test therefore VTEC will have a fee to pay for everyone who takes it.

FManc

I had done one or two practice tests on different websites. I only sat the practice test once and I got 1 wrong and missed 2 I think. I didn't want to over analyse it/over stress tbh so I then sat the test. What will be will be.

ballast rat

I think there seems to be a common misconception here that if you're not a spotter, or don't have an interest in trains then you're no good for the job and are in it for the money.

Well, from my experience TOCS and FOCS don't want spotters/cranks because the majority have a know it all attitude.

There...the can of worms has been opened ??????

Oh, by the way, I'm a driver, I go to work for the money and occasionally the job satisfaction. I deserve my position and I am good at my job. ??????

Belgarion

I think there seems to be a common misconception here that if you're not a spotter, or don't have an interest in trains then you're no good for the job and are in it for the money.

Well, from my experience TOCS and FOCS don't want spotters/cranks because the majority have a know it all attitude.

There...the can of worms has been opened ��

Oh, by the way, I'm a driver, I go to work for the money and occasionally the job satisfaction. I deserve my position and I am good at my job. ��

Agreed 100%. Me too

Brian88

I think they are more likely to take people with no experience. It's easier to teach from fresh than to remould somebody's bad habbits

bagazon

I tried the practice test and cannot do better than 5,6 or 7 mistaken , lol obviously I am the pig sh..t here...
But I cannot believe as well that some people do it for the first time with only 1 ot 2 mistakes unless you have a photo memory...
This test will reduce our numbers dramatically...
Good luck guys

TO THE MODERATORS :
Guys could you please start post my post without checking because I had enough posts now and sometimes they even do not go live at all...?!?
Thank you1

Status
Not open for further replies.