• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Yeovil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
I applied this morning. Does anyone know how many drivers they need?
It’s a new depot for SWR, so they will need a fair few. However they advertised only a couple of months ago for the same place and closed it quite quickly so maybe they closed too soon and didn’t have enough candidates apply or pass assessments?

I notice it says under contracted hours - 40.5? Anyone know if this is part of a new deal for SWR? They always used to be the standard 35 hours (of course it might be a clerical error....it wouldn’t be beyond the realms of possibility....).

Twotwo

It’s a new depot for SWR, so they will need a fair few. However they advertised only a couple of months ago for the same place and closed it quite quickly so maybe they closed too soon and didn’t have enough candidates apply or pass assessments?

I notice it says under contracted hours - 40.5? Anyone know if this is part of a new deal for SWR? They always used to be the standard 35 hours (of course it might be a clerical error....it wouldn’t be beyond the realms of possibility....).

40.5 during training lol which is baffling cause most training days is 9-2/3. Then 35 after qualified.

Stigy

Established Member
40.5 during training lol which is baffling cause most training days is 9-2/3. Then 35 after qualified.
Oh that makes sense.....I only read the hours in the box at the bottom of the page. Agreed about the hours of the training. Having said that, I have heard that SWR’s classroom training is longer days than most? I’ve never known training sessions to be any longer than 9-4 though...which would equate to 35 hours. Maybe they are only having a short course in comparison to other TOCs?

Twotwo

Oh that makes sense....but agreed about the hours of the training. Having said that, I have heard that SWR’s classroom training is longer days than most?

I'm not too sure, I know their quite big on the simulation software they use. Only thing I know about swr is that is takes forever to get passed out because of the lack of DIs. Also training salary of just under £25 k is quite poor. But I assume it goes up to the 33 as advertise after a year?

Stigy

Established Member
I'm not too sure, I know their quite big on the simulation software they use. Only thing I know about swr is that is takes forever to get passed out because of the lack of DIs. Also training salary of just under £25 k is quite poor. But I assume it goes up to the 33 as advertise after a year?
I edited my post above, but I heard about the DIs, that’s been ongoing for years really. The salary for training is higher than some other companies and as you say, it goes up to £33k. If it’s as it used to be, it goes up to £33k once you start your handling hours, then straight on the the full salary once qualified. They used to have a couple of increments from starting salary through to qualifying I believe.

1725RJ

Submitted my application form and managed to complete the multiple choice questionnaire. I’ve had the following response back:

“We're pleased to let you know that you have successfully passed your recent online assessment(s).

Whilst we endeavour to progress everyone who passes their online assessment to the next stage of the process, this is not always possible when we are dealing with high volumes of applications. On occasions like this and in the interests of fairness, we will only be able to progress those that fall within the top scoring bracket.”

Hmmmmm........

MiNi

Submitted my application form and managed to complete the multiple choice questionnaire. I’ve had the following response back:

“We're pleased to let you know that you have successfully passed your recent online assessment(s).

Whilst we endeavour to progress everyone who passes their online assessment to the next stage of the process, this is not always possible when we are dealing with high volumes of applications. On occasions like this and in the interests of fairness, we will only be able to progress those that fall within the top scoring bracket.”

Hmmmmm........
well done on passing the online assessment. Sometimes that is the hardest part.

1725RJ

Thanks but my taking from that email is that I didn’t quite reach the higher standard.
I should of received another email with a second assessment but didn’t. Very uncertain....

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks but my taking from that email is that I didn’t quite reach the higher standard.
I should of received another email with a second assessment but didn’t. Very uncertain....
That’s just a generic email. If you were out of the process at this stage, they’d have quite easily told you. Well done.

1725RJ

Hopefully you’re right :)
It mentioned a 2nd assessment that needed to be done within 48 hours that’s why I worried!

“Please note if you are applying for a Trainee Train Driver position and pass this assessment, you will receive another email shortly after completion inviting you to take part in a second assessment.

All assessments should be completed at your earliest convenience, and no later than 48 hours after submitting your online application.”

Stigy

Established Member
Hopefully you’re right :)
It mentioned a 2nd assessment that needed to be done within 48 hours that’s why I worried!

“Please note if you are applying for a Trainee Train Driver position and pass this assessment, you will receive another email shortly after completion inviting you to take part in a second assessment.

All assessments should be completed at your earliest convenience, and no later than 48 hours after submitting your online application.”
Yeah they will send the second one shortly. You have 48 hours from when you receive it. It’s a very straightforward one (match the numbers sort of thing...).

Devon156

Thanks very much. Has anyone else had the same response?
I have not heard anything since I finished the first test after submitting my application. I have passed stage 1&2 with GWR so hopefully I will get an interview. Have you applied to be a train driver before?

1725RJ

I have not heard anything since I finished the first test after submitting my application. I have passed stage 1&2 with GWR so hopefully I will get an interview. Have you applied to be a train driver before?
Excellent. I gather you can transfer your results over from GWR?
Yes, I applied to another TOC historically.

Stigy

Established Member
Excellent. I gather you can transfer your results over from GWR?
Yes, I applied to another TOC historically.
The psychometric assessments can indeed be transferred (within a certain timeframe depending on the TOC/FOC), although some TOCs or FOCs still insist you retake them, which isn’t ideal. SWR should be okay though.

Anon87

Hi all,

I’ve applied for this one too. Previously applied for the GWR talent pool that got pulled a few weeks ago having passed the initial online tests - SJT and alphanumeric.

I’ve had it confirmed that the tests aren’t transferable between GWR and SWR though - a surprise given they’re both part of First Group.

1725RJ

Good luck to everyone!

Does anyone know where the Trainee Train Drivers course will be held? I’ve heard it’s Southampton.

Guess it’s a case of sitting tight and waiting for the next stage :)

Stigy

Established Member
Good luck to everyone!

Does anyone know where the Trainee Train Drivers course will be held? I’ve heard it’s Southampton.

Guess it’s a case of sitting tight and waiting for the next stage :)
It’ll be Basingstoke, unless it’s changed recently, all operational training is done there at the ROC.

1725RJ

Stigy thanks for the info. I know that some TOCS run a 9 month initial drivers course, I see it’s 12 months with SWR.

Twotwo

Stigy thanks for the info. I know that some TOCS run a 9 month initial drivers course, I see it’s 12 months with SWR.

Add a few months to that just incase. Not sure if it's still the same but there used to be a shortage of DIs which meant some drivers were waiting 15-18 months.

1725RJ

Blimey. Based on that, are they expecting trainees to live away from home for that period of time (just returning on weekends)?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Blimey. Based on that, are they expecting trainees to live away from home for that period of time (just returning on weekends)?
Stigy may be able to correct me, but I'm sure, as he's told me, that they consider Basingstoke to be central enough that it can be reasonably commuted to every day and no hotel accommodation is provided by SWR.
In any case, it'll only be rules (and possibly traction) that's carried out centrally. A bulk of your training is your practical handling and that will be done with a Driver Instructor at your home depot

vikingdriver

Stigy may be able to correct me, but I'm sure, as he's told me, that they consider Basingstoke to be central enough that it can be reasonably commuted to every day and no hotel accommodation is provided by SWR.
In any case, it'll only be rules (and possibly traction) that's carried out centrally. A bulk of your training is your practical handling and that will be done with a Driver Instructor at your home depot

Definitely no hotels on SWR (well not for the workers anyway). I used the travelling time to revise meaning what little time I did have at home could be spent with the family!

Stigy

Established Member
Correct, as Viking says, there’s no hotels on offer.

Yeovil Junction is about 90 mins from Basingstoke so I guess it’s about as far as one would reasonably want to travel in a day, but it’s one of those things unfortunately. I guess some of the Waterloo drivers or Weymouth drivers etc would struggle with this, especially if the 60 minutes to their home depot falls is 60 minutes the wrong side of Basingstoke!

SWR do have a hotel policy, but I’ve never known it used for routine operations training.

On the plus side, the travelling time payments would bolster the training salary (I assume they’d pay travelling time?).

vikingdriver

Correct, as Viking says, there’s no hotels on offer.

Yeovil Junction is about 90 mins from Basingstoke so I guess it’s about as far as one would reasonably want to travel in a day, but it’s one of those things unfortunately. I guess some of the Waterloo drivers or Weymouth drivers etc would struggle with this, especially if the 60 minutes to their home depot falls is 60 minutes the wrong side of Basingstoke!

SWR do have a hotel policy, but I’ve never known it used for routine operations training.

On the plus side, the travelling time payments would bolster the training salary (I assume they’d pay travelling time?).

I don't think we were paid travelling time back in 2012 but I may be wrong or it may have changed since. I gather GWR do pay travelling time so maybe it has changed since First took over.

joystick

You don't get travelling time pay , and you only get the full wage after you have learn't all routes.

Twotwo

You don't get travelling time pay , and you only get the full wage after you have learn't all routes.

On their job advert it mentioned the pay was 24k ish during training then increases to 33k during handling hours. Is that referring to the drivers hours? And then route learning is after they pass out? So from start to end how long does it roughly take to get the full wack of pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.