• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Drivers, Freightliner-Various Locations-2020 Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomGuy

Freightliner is recruiting Trainee Train Drivers to join our award-winning intermodal and bulk teams.
Freightliner is a market leader in providing innovative rail freight solutions. With over 50 years in the industry we pride ourselves on providing a seamless service for our customers and as a Train Driver for Freightliner you will be integral to helping maintain our service excellence, operating over 100 safe daily services across the UK.

We are not only invested in the future but our employees; in return we ask that you have a highly professional attitude and a proactive and diligent approach to work. You will enjoy shift work, including weekend and night turns of duty, which may in turn require you to lodge away from home. Due to the varied shift patterns, we therefore require you to live within 60 minutes from your home location. You will need to have a full and valid UK driving licence to become a Trainee Train Driver at Freightliner.

Essential Trainee Train Driver Criteria

• You must currently live within 60 minutes travelling time of your chosen Freightliner location.
    • Flexible attitude to working hours as this is a shift based role.
    • Safety-conscious and ability to remain calm in an event of an emergency situation.
    • Excellent concentration and observational skills.
    • Clear and professional communication skills to relay important safety messages.
    • Customer focused with a dedication to the Company brand.
In return for your continued service to the Company, Freightliner offers an attractive remuneration package.

Recruiting postcodes:
  • Thamesport (Essex) ME3 0EP
  • Tilbury RM18 7EH
  • Ipswich IP2 9A
  • Wembley NW10 0RP
  • Eastleigh SO50 9FL
  • Peak District S33 6RP
  • Reading RG1 8JG

Good luck and hope it helps someone looking to be a driver.

https://www.freightliner.co.uk/job/...IfV5Iea3FwjSZK758-uuw-ax6Tnw1nIQnYZyPC1yunnmg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martin2345uk

Established Member
If you go for Heavy Haul it's £20,000 while classroom training, £25,000 during your handling hours and currently £54,000 once you qualify, though should go up early in the new year.

emrolf44

Hi. I have enhanced passes but recently failed VSE for Arriva. Anyone know if they do this test and if so if I go for this and fail the VSE is it game over or just game over for any of the Toc's that do this test. I wasn't really interested in this type of train driving job but there doesn't seem to be alot of recruitment going on at the mo....

Joliver

Hi. I have enhanced passes but recently failed VSE for Arriva. Anyone know if they do this test and if so if I go for this and fail the VSE is it game over or just game over for any of the Toc's that do this test. I wasn't really interested in this type of train driving job but there doesn't seem to be alot of recruitment going on at the mo....
It will be game over for TOC's that use enhanced pass marks. Also, if you've failed recently you'll have to wait six months before applying again.

emrolf44

Thanks Joliver. How you getting on since leaving HFRS. Not sure we knew each other but I think you might have been based @WelwynGC. Obviously all the people that leave for the trains their names get banded around.

Applepie356

If I fail the enhanced tests but pass to a national level do I get to use those passes for another TOC?

Applepie356

Does anyone know why they are suddenly doing a recruitment drive? Have they acquired more contracts or something? Seems strange that they are starting training in 2020 when with any other TOC you could be waiting a lot longer.

Also does anyone happen to know the average hours you’ll be working a week? The job description doesn’t reveal much compared to other TOC’s.

4F89

35 hours once qualified over 4 days avg, in classroom normally 9-4 m-f

Lots of contracts, hs2, mendip, retirements etc etc etc

Passed all the tests but I failed MMI, back in July, I have reapplied on the assumption of a rego in January.

As i have done standard test's With GA, will i have to redo them?

Mgv1349

Passed all the tests but I failed MMI, back in July, I have reapplied on the assumption of a rego in January.

As i have done standard test's With GA, will i have to redo them?
Freightliner are enhanced passes, think you will be made to redo them.

Gooner18

I am guessing you do a lot more night work on Freights does that mean you get more days off in a row, for example; 5 on 5 off etc?

LM888

I am guessing you do a lot more night work on Freights does that mean you get more days off in a row, for example; 5 on 5 off etc?
This is something I’m also interested in knowing. What would a typical week rota look like roughly?

4F89

All depot depending. Avg 4 day week, all mixed up. Majority is nights, but plenty of day stuff too within the links

Mgv1349

It’s usually a week of days and week of nights, late afternoons are the most common but we do get 21 days off in a row every 13 weeks which is nice.

skip1690

Did anyone else struggle to find the answer to the question "what is the max haulage capacity of a Class 70 Loco" on the Freightliner website? I scoured it and found no answer, found something on another site that stated 1900 tons, but I did find an article, https://www.gwrr.co.uk/news/jumbo-train-success/ , on the FL website that states that they had trialed a new service "Weighing 4,624 tonnes, this is the heaviest ‘jumbo’ train currently running in the UK"

I put 4624 tons as my answer to the question, but have noticed that FL only renewed their website in October, the previous version, which when you try to access it, makes your PC give you all sorts of warnings due to security certificates of the website not being recognised, does state that the haulage capacity is 1800 tons.

I know it's my fault, but also I think it's a little bit unfair of FL to use a 3rd party company to ask questions, where the answers are no longer available on the company website. I only came across the old website by pure fluke.

Status
Not open for further replies.