• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Drivers (Talent Bank) - Avanti - Multiple Locations (02/10/22)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TacoTraveller

Ok thank you mate …..is there anywhere I can see a similar VSE then do you know of?
Probably not. The practice sheet is just so you can practice a similar skill based test.

They tell you that the actual test may differ from the practice tests they send you. Without someone telling you the answer that they've already done. You won't know if the practice tests are the same as the actual one until you start the test when they give you a practice one

OldSwan16

I’ve yet to receive a successful or unsuccessful email yet after the 5 online assessments. I’ve been through the process already with Northern in 2019 and passed everything. Could it have anything to do with that, or should I be worried. I know of people who completed the assessments after me who’ve had emails. Getting a bit worried

BlueMike26

People are still receiving invitations for the five initial assessments as of yesterday, I wouldn't worry too much yet mate.

TacoTraveller

I’ve yet to receive a successful or unsuccessful email yet after the 5 online assessments. I’ve been through the process already with Northern in 2019 and passed everything. Could it have anything to do with that, or should I be worried. I know of people who completed the assessments after me who’ve had emails. Getting a bit worried
If you've not received another invitation or a rejection I wouldn't worry. They might just be prioritising depots so you should hear back soon hopefully.

matthewp

Just done the tests. My first crack at them. OMG that Dual VSE was an absolute killer!!! Don't know how many wrong you're allowed, but I'm pretty sure I haven't passed!!
Anyway, god luck to all!

Sorcerer

Just done the tests. My first crack at them. OMG that Dual VSE was an absolute killer!!! Don't know how many wrong you're allowed, but I'm pretty sure I haven't passed!!
Anyway, god luck to all!
You couldn't have done worse than me, mate. I made four mistakes on the second test alone, and I think I made at least four on the third part too. I don't think anyone here thus far has said "I think I've passed" so that's either really good, or really bad. Just have to wait until after the deadline to get our results email and cross our fingers in the mean time.

TacoTraveller

Anyway, god luck to all!
I've not done it yet, I'll be doing it today but don't feel so negative until you've got either a progression email or a rejection email.

I thought I did bad in the first SJT and I had no idea in the second SJT that took me about 40 minutes to complete.

But you won't know until after the deadline, I wish you the best luck to progress anyway

12LDA28C

Established Member

I believe a successful 'pass' on the tests expires after a certain period (2 or 3 years?) so they would have to be taken again in any case if you last passed in 2019.

BlackAdam

Just done mine, tests 1 & 2 I felt went well - made more mistakes in test 3
Best of luck to you! Test 2 i fumbled badly... lost my composure. when it said "high demand" on test 3 i had more of a "nothing to lose" mentality done way better with test 3 than test 2

The VSE concept is actually smart to see how you react under pressure, while keeping alert and paying attention. Only thing i didn't like about test 3..when you press "error" i feel like there was 2 second delay before it continued (so had me thinking did it even register my error etc) which threw me off once or twice as you also have to keep your attention to the right. anyone else have that problem?

Last edited:

TacoTraveller

I've just completed it, test 3 was by far the hardest. I got 2 wrong on test 2 one by accident and another I just forgot the shape.

Test 3 I would say about 6 or 7 wrong especially towards the end of the test.

I guess it's all just a waiting game now. Tried to stay calm and collect myself after each error but that's as much as I can ask for.

Reagan3698

Just did the VSE. Steps 1 and 2 I thought went fairly well. Step 2 I made 1 or 2 mistakes. But wow, in step 3, I definitely made a few errors on the shapes. Once you get 1 wrong it's so easy for it to go downhill. Hopefully, I did well enough to get through.

Has anyone had any rejection emails yet?

Just did the VSE. Steps 1 and 2 I thought went fairly well. Step 2 I made 1 or 2 mistakes. But wow, in step 3, I definitely made a few errors on the shapes. Once you get 1 wrong it's so easy for it to go downhill. Hopefully, I did well enough to get through.

Has anyone had any rejection emails yet?
I did mine on Tuesday evening haven't had anything back yet.

karl grindrod

Did mine yesterday, does anyone know what the pass mark is I'm struggling to find anything online? I made 6 mistakes on mine, 2 on the 2nd test and 4 on the 3rd test. Fingers crossed for everyone, sounds like we all achieved similar results

TacoTraveller

Did mine yesterday, does anyone know what the pass mark is I'm struggling to find anything online? I made 6 mistakes on mine, 2 on the 2nd test and 4 on the 3rd test. Fingers crossed for everyone, sounds like we all achieved similar results
Did better than me then, I got about 6/7 wrong on test 3 most 4 of them right towards the end.

Don't think you'll find anything about what the pass rate is as it's probably to stop people from practicing too much which is why even the practice material was similar but not the same at all.

Just a waiting game in afraid

Sorcerer

Based on us all seemingly getting similar results, it looks like the test might be as much about recovering from hiccups as it is maintaining stable concentration levels. There's probably no actual pass marks and is all relative to how you perform against your competitors. Unfortunately, nobody will know their results until we get them, so at this point we have to hope we've passed while expecting to have failed. Pessimistic optimism if you will.

Reagan3698

Based on us all seemingly getting similar results, it looks like the test might be as much about recovering from hiccups as it is maintaining stable concentration levels. There's probably no actual pass marks and is all relative to how you perform against your competitors. Unfortunately, nobody will know their results until we get them, so at this point we have to hope we've passed while expecting to have failed. Pessimistic optimism if you will.
A very good explanation. Fingers crossed everyone! Hopefully, we all come across each other soon in the face-to-face section :D

MatthewLdn

Pretty sure I just failed that. Ran out of time on the M7SJT test with 2 questions still to answer. Oh well… is what it is.

You won't receive anything until after the deadline anyway. My deadline is tomorrow and from the first step it was a couple of days after that.
Makes sense. I thought the deadline for the first ones was the end of the 25th, not midday on the 25th so the follow up did come after the deadline

NWDave

Pretty sure I just failed that. Ran out of time on the M7SJT test with 2 questions still to answer. Oh well… is what it is.
Hi All

New to the forum, wishing everyone the best of luck with this process!

I was answering the last question when the test closed, didn't complete it. Had a timer running on my phone and the test closed on approximately 70 minutes, though 80 minutes is the allowed time.

Maybe the 80 minutes included reading the practise question??? Who knows, just a word of advise to maybe run the timer from when you first see the practise question. I may have missed something in the notes/instructions regarding this though.

Sorcerer

I find it strange that the time for the SJT is inconsistently listed, but I think 70 minutes is a generous enough time to answer 25 questions unless you seriously overthink it. There's no strict right or wrong answers, it just wants to gauge how you judge the situations and whether or not you'd be a good fit. But then I also imagine that they want to see how you perform under a time limit and how decisive you are under the pressure of one.

TacoTraveller

I don't mean to seem rude but how did it take 80 minutes to answer 25 questions?

That's roughly 3 minutes for each question and the questions are aimed so you answer more with how you'd approach it than trying to overthink the order and guess what the company wants you to put.

Next time, I'd definitely work on your timings. That's what I did with the first SJT I worked out I answered questions every 2-3 minutes and worked on reducing that time.

Think I finished the M7 with 40 minutes left on my timer I set on my phone

Chippychips

These tests are scored by a computer. There definitely has to be a pass mark imo.

I think a certain percentage of correct answers must be met, and also the 'reaction time' must be a considered variable too.

Sorcerer

These tests are scored by a computer. There definitely has to be a pass mark imo.

I think a certain percentage of correct answers must be met, and also the 'reaction time' must be a considered variable too.
Perhaps, and unfortunately I doubt anyone will know for sure even if they pass. The industry is quite secretive with the pass marks in many areas of the assessments, including the group bourdon tests.

MatthewLdn

Tbh, I think I was guilty of over thinking the 2nd and 3rd choice for a lot of questions. It’s not a massive loss as I’ve passed everything to national standard with the TOC I currently work for, so hopefully I’ll get a start date soon with them.

Last edited:

TacoTraveller

Ah okay then, at least you've got national standard so you're doing well.

You may just only get 1 more chance for the companies that use these enhanced tests.

All the best for roles within your current TOC

AuraXB

In part 1 of your VSEs, were the errors in exactly the same places each time it went around? I thought it was supposed to be completely random to keep you on edge. At first I thought it was to lul me into a false sense of security but they never changed position.

In part 1 of your VSEs, were the errors in exactly the same places each time it went around? I thought it was supposed to be completely random to keep you on edge. At first I thought it was to lul me into a false sense of security but they never changed position.
I thought I noticed this and this was the same in the 3rd task as well up until a point

Just finished them both, the VSE was hard, don't think I did too badly, Task 1 was fine, a couple incorrect on task 2 and task 3, i have no idea, definetly a few in the last part