• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Drivers (Talent Bank) - Avanti - Multiple Locations (02/10/22)

GAZZERROVERS

I’m an ex airline pilot……VSE test 3 with the 3 shapes high demand….that was incredibly hard ….if you made only a few mistakes on that I’d say you’re awesome….and I’ve seen some testing over my career!!!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bigsej

All done now. I think I got 5/6 error in part 2 and God knows how many in part 3. it doesn't help that sometimes the buttons seem to freeze on grey and you don't know whether to click or not! Anyway, what's done is done. Fingers crossed and best of luck to all! The waiting games begin... again!

All done now. I think I got 5/6 error in part 2 and God knows how many in part 3. it doesn't help that sometimes the buttons seem to freeze on grey and you don't know whether to click or not! Anyway, what's done is done. Fingers crossed and best of luck to all! The waiting games begin... again!
Yep, I think I fell for that once and then thought just wait a second to check. Hopefully not too long, got the first pass email 4 hours after the deadline

In part 1 of your VSEs, were the errors in exactly the same places each time it went around? I thought it was supposed to be completely random to keep you on edge. At first I thought it was to lul me into a false sense of security but they never changed position.
Yes, by the time it got to the 5th circuit I was thinking it's going to be different and it wasn't. Only on the third test did they change it up towards the end

BlueMike26

Out of curiosity, did anyone else notice half of one of the dots disappear a few times in the third test? One of mine on the left hand side kept becoming a semicircle rather than a circle so I was marking it as error, but knowing my luck it just wasn't loading properly :lol:

Reagan3698

Yes, mine did this. The circle in bottom left. I clicked the button when it did it.
Out of curiosity, did anyone else notice half of one of the dots disappear a few times in the third test? One of mine on the left hand side kept becoming a semicircle rather than a circle so I was marking it as error, but knowing my luck it just wasn't loading properly :lol:

Yes, mine did this. The circle in bottom left. I clicked the button when it did it.
Yeah I had this too, I am kind of wondering how much weighting is being put on to task 3 as it kept saying that the one on the left was more important than the one on the right, so I wonder how much of an effect that had. Anyway, can't change it now

One thing that did throw me off completely was when it flashed saying high demand. I'd rather just guess lol

Dec718

Yeah I had this too, I am kind of wondering how much weighting is being put on to task 3 as it kept saying that the one on the left was more important than the one on the right, so I wonder how much of an effect that had. Anyway, can't change it now

One thing that did throw me off completely was when it flashed saying high demand. I'd rather just guess lol
So what did you have to do when it said high demand?

Sorcerer

So what did you have to do when it said high demand?
Nothing. It was just to let you know when the test was going to be of high demand, that being when it displays three matching/unmatching shapes rather than two.

I never saw that happen so I genuinely hope it wasn't just a case of me failing to notice. My first instance of noticing an error was seeing two dots on the circuit rather than one and I just about missed by a split second and marked an error where there wasn't one.

Sawasdee

Yeah, spotted this a few times.

Just finished my tests. Wow my head is scrambled after the visual search! Similar results to others. Plenty of mistakes and lost composure on the combined task 3. Will see how it goes but don't feel very confident.

Sorcerer

The more I hear about people's results after taking this test the more I'm convinced that it's as much about seeing how you recover from distractions and hiccups. It's very similar to the test where they have you pressing buttons of a different colour combined with hi and lo tones and pedals - they don't expect you to get it perfect, they want to see how you react after being thrown off. That said hearing about some of the other possible errors that I don't remember seeing is kind of making me nervous in case I missed them.

Dec718

Just finished my tests. Wow my head is scrambled after the visual search! Similar results to others. Plenty of mistakes and lost composure on the combined task 3. Will see how it goes but don't feel very confident.
I’ve just finished mine too.. pressed the mouse by accident in the first part randomly, got 2 errors in part 2 & part 3 was just a free for all!! I think probably around 6-7 errors.. think I prioritised left side well enough but did notice a jump in the top left hand side nearer the end I hadn’t noticed before so all in all not feeling hugely confident with that :( fingers crossed anyway! Good luck to everyone else

Chippychips

Ok guys and gals I understand a lot of people are feeling apprehensive but this may put a few of you at ease...
I came across a post from someone who done the VSE and M7 tests previously;

[after he posted this, a few days later he also posted that he PASSED the VSE- but failed the M7]

"Parts 1 and 2 I managed to do well enough but the third part where you had to do parts 1 and 2 at the same time but prioritize part 1 over 2 completely took me by suprise when multiple blue dots appeared on the track at the same time. I was not expecting it and even though I noticed it each time I ignored them until much later when I stopped thinking it was normal. It's a shame as the rest of the test was going smoothly. I know the test mentioned that there may be other errors but since it didn't directly mention what I would need to look out for my autistic brain got overwhelmed and ignored it as something other than an error.

Anyone else experience difficulties?"

Based on this, I'd say mistakes can be made and are expected. We just don't know how many...

Sorcerer

Ok guys and gals I understand a lot of people are feeling apprehensive but this may put a few of you at ease...
I came across a post from someone who done the VSE and M7 tests previously;

[after he posted this, a few days later he also posted that he PASSED the VSE- but failed the M7]

"Parts 1 and 2 I managed to do well enough but the third part where you had to do parts 1 and 2 at the same time but prioritize part 1 over 2 completely took me by suprise when multiple blue dots appeared on the track at the same time. I was not expecting it and even though I noticed it each time I ignored them until much later when I stopped thinking it was normal. It's a shame as the rest of the test was going smoothly. I know the test mentioned that there may be other errors but since it didn't directly mention what I would need to look out for my autistic brain got overwhelmed and ignored it as something other than an error.

Anyone else experience difficulties?"

Based on this, I'd say mistakes can be made and are expected. We just don't know how many...
That has been somewhat reassuring. I am a bit more confident seeing everyone else's results but I won't find out until Wednesday at the earliest I reckon seeing as my deadline is just after 10am on Tuesday.

BlueMike26

I swear one of my errors was the train on the track not moving at all at one point too! I could have been mistaken though.

TacoTraveller

The track had a semi circle (I only spotted it once) and another train appeared a few times again I only spotted it once or twice.

It also skipped stops and turned red.

I'm sure I even clicked an error that wasn't there at some point as I was adamant it had skipped.

I don't think test 3 is about score it's more how you recover from your mistakes as youd have to be extremely on the ball to do part 3 faultless.

It's just a waiting game now, hopefully we'll hear back tomorrow as the deadline is 23:45 tonight.

amansid

The track had a semi circle (I only spotted it once) and another train appeared a few times again I only spotted it once or twice.

It also skipped stops and turned red.

I'm sure I even clicked an error that wasn't there at some point as I was adamant it had skipped.

I don't think test 3 is about score it's more how you recover from your mistakes as youd have to be extremely on the ball to do part 3 faultless.

It's just a waiting game now, hopefully we'll hear back tomorrow as the deadline is 23:45 tonight.
It’s not about how you recover! How will they assess that?

It’s purely on the amount of mistakes. Not trying to be harsh, but 4-5 mistakes is a fail (speaking from experience).

TacoTraveller

It’s not about how you recover! How will they assess that?

It’s purely on the amount of mistakes. Not trying to be harsh, but 4-5 mistakes is a fail (speaking from experience).
It's computerised. If you make a fail and then recover with consecutive answers correct it shows a means of recovery.

The test is made to be really difficult and designed so it's really hard to be faultless, so 4-5 mistakes as a fail is a high mark for a test that's designed to trip you up a lot

Sorcerer

I wouldn't expect anyone to hear anything back just yet. I expect there will be a good few hours after the first deadlines before results start getting sent out. Seeing as my deadline isn't until after 10am tomorrow, I expect Wednesday to be the earliest I hear anything back personally.

Dec718

I wouldn't expect anyone to hear anything back just yet. I expect there will be a good few hours after the first deadlines before results start getting sent out. Seeing as my deadline isn't until after 10am tomorrow, I expect Wednesday to be the earliest I hear anything back personally.
Ah right I just assumed all our deadlines were 23:45 last night. That makes sense then they’ll probably collate all scores after all deadlines have ended and then go from there. Good luck Sorcerer.