• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Drivers (Talent Bank) - Avanti - Multiple Locations (02/10/22)

Sawasdee

This is my thinking. However, being that Manc Picc is already at capacity for drivers, taking even a few more fully trained from other depots will surely mean we are waiting much longer than normal. Hopefully not, but it’s not a positive either way
I got the call last week offering me a course date so things are definitely moving.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MatthewLdn

Just out curiosity, those that are going to be based at Euston, where are you travelling in from? I currently live in East London, but thinking of moving to a larger home due to young family. I’m just not sure where at the moment, possibly North London or maybe even considering St Albans. Although I need to take into consideration when I finish super late or start super early.

irish_rail

Established Member
This is my thinking. However, being that Manc Picc is already at capacity for drivers, taking even a few more fully trained from other depots will surely mean we are waiting much longer than normal. Hopefully not, but it’s not a positive either way
It IS a positive for those hard working qualifeds who have done perhaps years of crap shifts driving stoppers into Manchester who now have a shout at an easier life. In my view Avanti wouldn't be recruiting trainees at all, just taking on qualifeds and let trainees start at TOCs like Northern and then apply for the so called "cushy" jobs working their way up. Luckily for you lot it isn't upto me Lol.

Jordan1991

It IS a positive for those hard working qualifeds who have done perhaps years of crap shifts driving stoppers into Manchester who now have a shout at an easier life. In my view Avanti wouldn't be recruiting trainees at all, just taking on qualifeds and let trainees start at TOCs like Northern and then apply for the so called "cushy" jobs working their way up. Luckily for you lot it isn't upto me Lol.
Not sure why that’s touched a nerve. I meant it’s not good for those of us who are waiting for a position to start, northing more. I’m not taking anything away from drivers already qualified. I’d say people who have tried and persevered for years to get in with Avanti who aren’t qualified are just as worthy of a chance

Archvile

you haven't seen Avanti's shift pattern have you :lol: they'll be in for a shock when they chase the money and realise the tax man takes most of it and charges them 5/6 days a week for their trouble!

irish_rail

Established Member
you haven't seen Avanti's shift pattern have you :lol: they'll be in for a shock when they chase the money and realise the tax man takes most of it and charges them 5/6 days a week for their trouble!
Oh I am aware. Avanti are utterly shocking in terms of Ts and Cs. I guess there are people out there who just want to drive big fast trains. All ill say (as someone who does just that) is that its pretty dull and if anything driving stoppers is far more challenging and interesting.

Frankie4763

Oh I am aware. Avanti are utterly shocking in terms of Ts and Cs. I guess there are people out there who just want to drive big fast trains. All ill say (as someone who does just that) is that its pretty dull and if anything driving stoppers is far more challenging and interesting.
Are you applying for Northern then?

irish_rail

Established Member
Are you applying for Northern then?
No I'm happy where I am thank you very much. I'm lucky enough to drive a mix of intercity and local services. From sleeper trains to high speed intercity services to branch lines on quaint little routes. My point is there is more to life than driving fast trains and saying that becoming a train driver is dependent on it being Avanti is a bit daft in my view. A driver is a driver no matter where.

Shinigami

No I'm happy where I am thank you very much. I'm lucky enough to drive a mix of intercity and local services. From sleeper trains to high speed intercity services to branch lines on quaint little routes. My point is there is more to life than driving fast trains and saying that becoming a train driver is dependent on it being Avanti is a bit daft in my view. A driver is a driver no matter where.
I can’t for the life of me understand why you randomly decided to have a rant at people unprovoked but good for you then I guess? Not a single person said being a driver is dependent on being with Avanti so your bitterness is completely misguided. You’re already a driver, you’re not applying to this talent bank and I don’t think anyone was trying to cause offence. Your comments are quite inappropriate and antagonistic for apparently no reason. Anyway, probably best to stick to the forums topic maybe mate.

Last edited:

Spincity

Bet northern drivers will be pleased to read you think they are training ground for Avanti. Northern spend time recruiting and training, £100k a trainee, so the driver can then ‘earn’ the cushy job at Avanti.

irish_rail

Established Member
I can’t for the life of me understand why you randomly decided to have a rant at people unprovoked but good for you then I guess? Not a single person said being a driver is dependent on being with Avanti so your bitterness is completely misguided. You’re already a driver, you’re not applying to this talent bank and I don’t think anyone was trying to cause offence. Your comments are quite inappropriate and antagonistic for apparently no reason. Anyway, probably best to stick to the forums topic maybe mate.
Actually a poster here did mention about those that were "holding out for avanti". My rant is on behalf of a friend, who I won't place too specifically geographically, who is stuck at a TOC, not happy, been there for nearly 10 years, perfect record l, perfect attendance and Avanti is his / her only possible escape due to not being able to relocate for family reasons. However Avanti have never once publicly recruited at said location for qualified drivers. They have now recruited for trainees, and he/she feels hard done by (rightly so in my opinion). I'm lucky living where I do that there are two TOCs , both of whom recruit qualified drivers at least annually so if I ever felt I had to move, I know I'd have that option. My friend seemingly isn't so lucky. Hence my rant.

Bet northern drivers will be pleased to read you think they are training ground for Avanti. Northern spend time recruiting and training, £100k a trainee, so the driver can then ‘earn’ the cushy job at Avanti.
Then Northern can pay their drivers more and improve the driver workload offer. More annual leave days and shorter work diagrams would entice more drivers to want to stay put.

Spincity

Actually a poster here did mention about those that were "holding out for avanti". My rant is on behalf of a friend, who I won't place too specifically geographically, who is stuck at a TOC, not happy, been there for nearly 10 years, perfect record l, perfect attendance and Avanti is his / her only possible escape due to not being able to relocate for family reasons. However Avanti have never once publicly recruited at said location for qualified drivers. They have now recruited for trainees, and he/she feels hard done by (rightly so in my opinion). I'm lucky living where I do that there are two TOCs , both of whom recruit qualified drivers at least annually so if I ever felt I had to move, I know I'd have that option. My friend seemingly isn't so lucky. Hence my rant.

Then Northern can pay their drivers more and improve the driver workload offer. More annual leave days and shorter work diagrams would entice more drivers to want to stay put.
Didn’t realise that northern loose that many drivers due to low salary, low holiday, long diagrams. Have you got the details…

Shinigami

As much as I can sympathise with your friends situation, it is mildly unreasonable to be expressing your discontent at people who have absolutely no say in the matter who may not even work for the railway. It’s not that you’re not allowed an opinion, it’s just that you’re ranting at people who simply applied for a role and are looking forward to starting at some point. The fact that your friend has been hard done by (which again, I completely understand) has got little to nothing to do with people simply applying for a role. He’s been in the railway for 10 years. You even said yourself that Avanti isn’t the be all and end all and that being a driver is being a driver. If you truly believe that then how can you be expressing discontent towards potential trainees because your friend has been a perfect driver elsewhere. He’s already been doing the job for a decade and the people in this forum are just hoping for a start date. Sorry mate but I think you’re being unreasonable to be honest. Again, best to keep the forum on topic

irish_rail

Established Member
As much as I can sympathise with your friends situation, it is mildly unreasonable to be expressing your discontent at people who have absolutely no say in the matter who may not even work for the railway. It’s not that you’re not allowed an opinion, it’s just that you’re ranting at people who simply applied for a role and are looking forward to starting at some point. The fact that your friend has been hard done by (which again, I completely understand) has got little to nothing to do with people simply applying for a role. He’s been in the railway for 10 years. You even said yourself that Avanti isn’t the be all and end all and that being a driver is being a driver. If you truly believe that then how can you be expressing discontent towards potential trainees because your friend has been a perfect driver elsewhere. He’s already been doing the job for a decade and the people in this forum are just hoping for a start date. Sorry mate but I think you’re being unreasonable to be honest. Again, best to keep the forum on topic
To reiterate, I have no beef with anyone on here. Potential trainee applicants are lucky to be in this privileged position. I am simply saying I disagree with Avantis policy of not taking on sufficient numbers of qualified drivers away from the less popular depots . I sincerely wish good luck to all applying and look forward to welcoming you to the driving grade. I just also have to look out for the interests of qualifeds too.

Didn’t realise that northern loose that many drivers due to low salary, low holiday, long diagrams. Have you got the details…
So why do they leave then?

Ex2215

October and for Manchester. Hope you all get the call soon.
Good to see more Manc applicants getting start dates!!! I received my medical date at the weekend. It's for this Thursday which is way sooner than I was told it was likely to be. Was planning on getting my eyes tested to see if my prescription has changed but not had chance with thinking it would be in around three months.

Spincity

To reiterate, I have no beef with anyone on here. Potential trainee applicants are lucky to be in this privileged position. I am simply saying I disagree with Avantis policy of not taking on sufficient numbers of qualified drivers away from the less popular depots . I sincerely wish good luck to all applying and look forward to welcoming you to the driving grade. I just also have to look out for the interests of qualifeds too.

No idea who ‘they’ are or numbers?

Shinigami

I don’t see how talking to potential trainees about about qualified drivers not being offered roles is “looking out for them”. Again, you’re point isn’t wrong, you’re just voicing your opinion in the wrong place and to the wrong people. Disagreeing with their policy in an Avanti talent bank forum can come across as antagonistic. Anyway, I’m sure you mean no harm and I’m not trying to insult you either, but I’ll just stop here going back and forth here with you as to not distract from the forum or to cause offence. Have a good day mate

Sawasdee

Good to see more Manc applicants getting start dates!!! I received my medical date at the weekend. It's for this Thursday which is way sooner than I was told it was likely to be. Was planning on getting my eyes tested to see if my prescription has changed but not had chance with thinking it would be in around three months.
Hope it all goes well for you. At least you don’t have that to worry about after this week and can just look forward to getting started.

irish_rail

Established Member
I don’t see how talking to potential trainees about about qualified drivers not being offered roles is “looking out for them”. Again, you’re point isn’t wrong, you’re just voicing your opinion in the wrong place and to the wrong people. Disagreeing with their policy in an Avanti talent bank forum can come across as antagonistic. Anyway, I’m sure you mean no harm and I’m not trying to insult you either, but I’ll just stop here going back and forth here with you as to not distract from the forum or to cause offence. Have a good day mate
Like wise. And if you are a potential candidate I wish you luck and becoming part of the rail industry in general is something you will not regret.

No idea who ‘they’ are or numbers?
Well I've chatted in detail to an ex Northern driver now at GWR and let's just say it paints a rather negative picture. I'll leave it at that as not wishing to go any further off topic.

HSB

Evening,

Another here for the October course, looking forward to meeting others on it and hopefully everyone else still awaiting a date at a depot shortly after!

FPL_FM

Evening,

Another here for the October course, looking forward to meeting others on it and hopefully everyone else still awaiting a date at a depot shortly after!
Yep! You too mate. Just awaiting my medical now then all set for the 30th of October! Where you based?

HSB

Yep! You too mate. Just awaiting my medical now then all set for the 30th of October! Where you based?
Same here, thrilled it’s this year as I wasn’t expecting it to be until 2024 at the earliest! I’ll be at Euston.