• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Tram Driver - Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallowfielder

I use be a metrolink driver. Left 8 weeks ago. HR team were busy then am guessing they are now also. At the minute. St peter square is shut so they wont need that many drivers. But maybe nearer to the time of it reopening they will. Also northern are still taking on and a lot of tram drivers have applied and been successful (inc myself) its not a tram driver you need speak to. Its the HR team. But like i say it will be case of just been busy.

Thanks for the insight. Just as I thought, it's probably because they're busy. It's a pity that they don't use one of those systems where you can log in to track your application.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martin2345uk

Established Member
Thanks for the insight. Just as I thought, it's probably because they're busy. It's a pity that they don't use one of those systems where you can log in to track your application.

So were you part of the wave of applications that said "if you don't hear by the end of may, consider yourself unsuccessful"..?

TerryTank

So were you part of the wave of applications that said "if you don't hear by the end of may, consider yourself unsuccessful"..?

I was one of that wave and I'm also not totally convinced I've been unsuccessful. Just not thinking about it now but half expecting to hear something at some point. As above, the closures at St Peter's Square, Media City and Eccles lines surely means fewer trams are operating and HR's workload is hectic so maybe recruitment is slow because it's not a huge priority right at this moment.

Or maybe I'm just totally delusional :lol:

martin2345uk

Established Member
I was one of that wave and I'm also not totally convinced I've been unsuccessful. Just not thinking about it now but half expecting to hear something at some point. As above, the closures at St Peter's Square, Media City and Eccles lines surely means fewer trams are operating and HR's workload is hectic so maybe recruitment is slow because it's not a huge priority right at this moment.

Or maybe I'm just totally delusional :lol:

Well I certainly admire your optimism; I only wish I shared it :p

fallowfielder

As far as I know, there has only been one recruitment drive recently so yes like you I applied with applications in by 30th April and consider yourself unsuccessful if you don't hear by 30th May. As I've said, I personally don't think that anyone has been on an assessment day yet, just my opinion. How many times have you applied?

martin2345uk

Established Member
As far as I know, there has only been one recruitment drive recently so yes like you I applied with applications in by 30th April and consider yourself unsuccessful if you don't hear by 30th May. As I've said, I personally don't think that anyone has been on an assessment day yet, just my opinion. How many times have you applied?

This was my second time. Prepared to keep going as long as it takes! :)

Beeks

Hi

My first post

I applied in April 2016 and only went for the assessment last week

Had the interview/medical today and was offered the job!

Start my training beginning of January :)

fallowfielder

Hi

My first post

I applied in April 2016 and only went for the assessment last week

Had the interview/medical today and was offered the job!

Start my training beginning of January :)

Congratulations mate. Can I ask what the assessment day was like? Can i also ask what they asked in the interview? How many people got jobs today? I'm hoping that they get hold of me at some point!

Beeks

Congratulations mate. Can I ask what the assessment day was like? Can i also ask what they asked in the interview? How many people got jobs today? I'm hoping that they get hold of me at some point!

Hi mate

The assessment was split into a few sections

The dials test

A test involving recognising shapes and crossing them off as you go along lines of different shapes (speed test)

A written exercise describing your journey into the assessment in no more than 50 words

The tram simulator test

And finally a test to see if you can get on and off a tram safely and use the tannoy

The interview was standard really..all I can say is read up on the history of Metrolink..have reasons why you want to join them and what they are really looking for is punctuality so mention that

Not sure how many they have/are taking on sorry

Last edited:

fallowfielder

Hi mate

The dials test

A test involving recognising shapes and crossing them off as you go along lines of different shapes (speed test)

A written exercise describing your journey into the assessment in no more than 50 words

The tram simulator test

And finally a test to see if you can get on and off a tram safely and use the tannoy

The interview was standard really..all I can say is read up on the history of Metrolink..have reasons why you want to join them and what they are really looking for is punctuality so mention that

Cheers mate that's a great help. Congratulations again

TerryTank

Hi mate

The dials test

The tram simulator test

Well done pal, can't say I'm not jealous.

Can I ask how far down the page on the speed shapes test you got? I was told I would hear from Metrolink at some point in the future after they phoned a few weeks ago so I've been trying to practice but it's so difficult! Almost dreading their phone call now... :lol:

Beeks

Well done pal, can't say I'm not jealous.

Can I ask how far down the page on the speed shapes test you got? I was told I would hear from Metrolink at some point in the future after they phoned a few weeks ago so I've been trying to practice but it's so difficult! Almost dreading their phone call now... :lol:

I managed between a third and a half of a page on each section Terry

Looking forward to beginning a new career..new year new start and all that!

Status
Not open for further replies.