• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Training courses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke86

Hi,
I was just wondering how many and what training courses a operative (track maintenance) will have to do?

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Luke86

Is the (PTS) a 2 day course and do you get put on that before actually starting or are you allowed on track with some accountable for you?

BraddersOP94

Can have up to 12 track passes in a calendar year, but you'll do PTS at the earliest opportunity. DCCR will follow usually a couple of days later.

You'll then get your sentinel card and be allowed to work on track :)

Ben.A.98

You won't be allowed out onto the line till you have done your PTS, when I did mine it was a half day of elearning on the computer, and a day at a local training centre (assuming your NR), and if your in a 3rd rail area another day at the training centre. After this you'll get your sentinel card through the post and you can then go out onto the line.

Other courses you may get can include, safe use of portable plant, generators, jacks, bance wrenches, cutting and grinding equipment, trolleys. Most of these are half day courses delivered at a training centre, we had a number of new starts at our depot recently so the training van came up to us instead of everyone going down to the centre, it all depends on how your area works.

BraddersOP94

Yes, don't worry too much about any just yet.
I started in November and have only done PTS and DCCR.

Luke86

Are you track maintenance aswell? What’s it like?
Is there shift allowance for night and weekend work and is it 26 or 28 days holiday a year?

BraddersOP94

Are you track maintenance aswell? What’s it like?
Is there shift allowance for night and weekend work and is it 26 or 28 days holiday a year?
I'm off track maintenance - sometimes work with PWay as well though. Shift allowance for nights and any time on Sunday.
Saturday just viewed as normal though.

Luke86

I'm off track maintenance - sometimes work with PWay as well though. Shift allowance for nights and any time on Sunday.
I’ve heard the shift allowance is 10% is that right?
I’ve also heard 26 days holiday a year and 28 days holiday a year do you know which is right?

alxndr

Established Member
Shift allowance for nights and any time on Sunday.

I’ve heard the shift allowance is 10% is that right?
I’ve also heard 26 days holiday a year and 28 days holiday a year do you know which is right?

It depends where you are as to the exact terms and conditions. It does vary so you really need to wait for your contract, or ask someone recently employed in your particular area.

Where I am it's 10% enhancement from 2200-0600 and from 1800 Friday - 0600 Monday with an average of 35 hours per week.

Holiday here is 33 days (increasing to 35 after 10 years) with Christmas, Boxing Day and New Year's day as the only Bank Holidays. I know other places get more Bank Holidays that count, so presumably get less annual leave days.

Luke86

It depends where you are as to the exact terms and conditions. It does vary so you really need to wait for your contract, or ask someone recently employed in your particular area.

Where I am it's 10% enhancement from 2200-0600 and from 1800 Friday - 0600 Monday with an average of 35 hours per week.

Holiday here is 33 days (increasing to 35 after 10 years) with Christmas, Boxing Day and New Year's day as the only Bank Holidays. I know other places get more Bank Holidays that count, so presumably get less annual leave days.
I thought it would be pretty much the same everywhere in terms of shift allowance and holidays

alxndr

Established Member
I thought it would be pretty much the same everywhere in terms of shift allowance and holidays

It’s not. I don’t know the specifics but I have friends in other areas where bank holidays are handled differently and I believe they also get a better rate of night enhancement. It depends on the historical terms and conditions carried over from when it was privatised.

Wax1210

Does anybody have any links to points maintinence pdf please thank you in advance

Wax1210

Hi Luke

There is a free module on PTS at https://uktrainingsolutions.com but i think it is normally geared up for drivers but you may be able to pick something out of it as its free. Just a thought to get some insight.
Thanks for getting back im new to forum not really sure what im doing at mo , im working onrailways as s and t but have interview with network rail so wanted to read up on points or if anyone as basic signalling 2 pdf download

Last edited:

Pilotman

Thanks for getting back im new to forum not really sure what im doing at mo , im working onrailways as s and t but have interview with network rail so wanted to read up on points or if anyone as basic signalling 2 pdf download

Hi Luke

https://uktrainingsolutions.com has a free basic signalling as well if it helps. It helped me when i joined the railway, best of all its free!

Philip summ

Just been given my start date for grimsby depot on the 18th I'm starting with another lad thought you may have been him lol

chinster85

hello to everyone just joined this site today,
I wanted to know how to get around the catch 22 situation that to get PTS card you need to be working for a railway maintenance company , but many of these jobs say you need one to start with. I did go for interview in JAN 2018 for a company, Cleshar Rail, but couldn't do it as they were asking me upfront for about £1000 in expenses like medical, drug and alcohol tests, plus all the courses needed for the job itself. And they were only offering sporadic shifts in Ashford Kent which to a non driver from Tunbridge Wells is some distance to go by train for odd days with no guarantee of full time work. I was and still am working full time so I had to decline.
Ive since spoken to some one who works locally as train cleaner at my nearest station and he said that he got his through working there so perhaps applying to them might be a better option. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.