• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trains skipping stations when they are less than 5 minutes late

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Oh dear I'd love to know why defend this nonsense are you on the SWR management team you certainly sound it

Because it is a common service recovery option. Without it more people are delayed for longer across the network as the delays continue and then knock on to other services around it.

Very few are disputing that running fast for a 5 minute delay is a bit odd, but instead providing you some context on why it may happen.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
So as you are clearly the expert, what would you do to make the Shepperton services more reliable so they don't have to skip-stop all the time and hence being more appealing to passengers who otherwise might simply decide to use a bus?

I’m not purporting to be an expert on that particular corner of the network (however I do have a reasonable amount of operational knowledge/experience to draw from). With respect, you’re the one suggesting additional units and crews be pulled out of thin air to resource a different timetable on that branch, hence my asking where you’d take them from.

Have you ever imagined that the people paid to do this for a living might have optimised the Shepperton services as best as they possibly can, given the competing priorities and limited resources available to them?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Or the more classic on Brighton Line is being instructed to run fast only to catch up something else and just totter along and not end up making any time. Then there is the driver suddenly being told to run fast after the CIS has been displaying the booked stopping pattern and people have already boarded the train so you lose more time as a result. In fact its pretty well the norm that the CIS is out of kilter with a decision from control that said Thameslink drivers by and large are pretty good with communicating to passengers about what is happening and being apologetic.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Or the more classic on Brighton Line is being instructed to run fast only to catch up something else and just totter along and not end up making any time. Then there is the driver suddenly being told to run fast after the CIS has been displaying the booked stopping pattern and people have already boarded the train so you lose more time as a result. In fact its pretty well the norm that the CIS is out of kilter with a decision from control that said Thameslink drivers by and large are pretty good with communicating to passengers about what is happening and being apologetic.

"The CIS" and "control" will be one and the same, it's just that the decision might be made en route. The next stop will of course normally be a booked one otherwise you are overcarrying people beyond their destination without the chance to alight - I have seen this done though (or a signaller making a routing decision that makes it impossible) but it's very much not good practice.

TEW

Established Member
The solution is to try and rewrite the timetable for that branch so instead of having tight turnarounds the turnarounds are more like 15 minutes, introducing an extra unit into that route.
Fine if the branch ran in isolation, but not that simple in reality as there just aren't loads of spare alternative paths between New Malden and Waterloo. It needs to be part of a wider recast, the ideal solution being to interwork the Shepperton trains with something else at Waterloo so make it work much better.
Some small things have been done to try to improve things. Shepperton trains no longer call at Earlsfield Off Peak, drivers are no longer diagrammed to work 2 Shepperton trains in a row to allow quicker turnarounds at Waterloo when there is late running. They were also all booked 707 when they were still around as they were believed to be the quickest.

Bevan Price

Established Member
he solution is to try and rewrite the timetable for that branch so instead of having tight turnarounds the turnarounds are more like 15 minutes, introducing an extra unit into that route.

Until you get a passenger who wanted to travel to Wellington/Telford finding themselves on a trip to Wolverhampton as they were unable to get off the train in time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any legal experts here ?
If passengers for Wellington / Telford were not told to alight before leaving Shrewsbury, could the train crew be considered to have committed some kind of illegal act (something like unlawful detention, abduction or even kidnapping ???

MontyP

Which would mean taking a unit from somewhere else, and therefore rewriting the timetable to thin out (ie worsen) the service elsewhere.

Where would you suggest?!
As per my earlier post, the turnarounds at Shepperton are tighter than any of the other SWR suburban routes, even tighter than Hampton Court and Chessington which, being the shortest, tend to be the most reliable. Some of the Guildfords have very long turnarounds but I think this is a consequence of the via Epsom service being halved.

Bow Fell

If passengers for Wellington / Telford were not told to alight before leaving Shrewsbury, could the train crew be considered to have committed some kind of illegal act (something like unlawful detention, abduction or even kidnapping ???

And there we have it, we’ve officially reached peak RailUK Forums. Jesus wept.

Bevan Price

Established Member
And there we have it, we’ve officially reached peak RailUK Forums. Jesus wept.
It was a genuine question.
Under normal circumstances, nobody can be stopped from performing their normal (legal) activities - in this case (assuming they have valid tickets), making a legal journey between two stations. . IF no announcements were made until after departure, taking them beyond their intending alighting point is stopping them from performing that normal business.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
It was a genuine question.
Under normal circumstances, nobody can be stopped from performing their normal (legal) activities - in this case (assuming they have valid tickets), making a legal journey between two stations. . IF no announcements were made until after departure, taking them beyond their intending alighting point is stopping them from performing that normal business.

Although how is that difficult from cancelling a train; you'd just have to come back on yourself. Deeply inconvenient? Yes. Illegal? No and very strange wording to suggest so.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Although how is that difficult from cancelling a train; you'd just have to come back on yourself. Deeply inconvenient? Yes. Illegal? No and very strange wording to suggest so.
I agree that you would still be delayed by a cancellation, but I think it would need to be tested in court if someone complained about being "carried over" without being pre-warned of the need to alight. That situation might arise if a passenger activated the train alarm
after their station had been passed and the rail company tried to prosecute them.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Even when the train is less than five minutes late, as per the thread title?
Indeed. The Shepperton service ran fast from Teddington to Raynes Park, gaining two minutes as a result, and still running a minute late... By Wimbledon it was running four minutes late, then six minutes late at Clapham Junction, and a catching up a whole minute by the time it arrived five minutes late at Waterloo. Most services on the up slow were running a few minutes late at that point, so would stopping at the scheduled stations have made any difference?

What made things worse was the next train scheduled to stop at Hampton Wick, Kingston and Norbiton was the loop service -- which was cancelled. It was due to depart Waterloo at 10.00, 11 minutes before the train in question left Shepperton and a full half-hour before the latter reached Teddington, might not the person who made the decision for the Sheppy to run fast been aware that this meant that passengers at Hampton Wick, Kingston and Norbiton would as a result have a half-hour wait?

infobleep

Veteran Member
Looking again, the train skipped Teddington to New Malden inclusive, and the following Roundabout was indeed cancelled. I was misled by the OP's reference to the late start from Shepperton.
The following train from Teddington was cancelled it was the Kingston rounder one not the next Shepperton one 10.00 Waterloo to waterloo
Thanks for the correction.

If you’re just being held at a red, not really. You’d then be stopping out of course, and what if someone boards the train wanting a different destination etc. It’s almost always going to be easiest to wait outside.

If there’s likely to be an extended delay (eg because the train in front has struck a person) it is generally better to stop in a platform, release the doors, and allow people the option of getting off the train.
Out of interest if a train waits outside of a station and then there is an issue requiring the power to be switched off, would they have time to get into the station before the power wws switched off?

I was once on a train where the horn had iced up. The driver went out to look but being human forgot to open the doors for the passengers. Another train pulled in and left. One people could have caught. I hasten to add we were due to stop at the station. I can't remember if the doors ever opened before the other train even arrived They did after the other train had left mind you.

I only mention this to highlight people are humans and no one is perfect. I think it may have been at Haslemere this happened and it would have been in the naughties and heading towards Guildford.
That's definitely not ideal - telling passengers before departure is preferable.
Although not quite skip stopping, it use to be fairly regular practice, or seemed like it to me, to tell passengers on a Reading to Gatick Airport service, once at Reigate or between Reigate and Redhill that the train would be terminating at Redhill due to delays.

I could mostly guess correctly what waa going to happen before it was announced and 9 times out of 10 I was correct. I would be expecting it to happen from Guildford, if the delay was big enough at this point.

Nor so sure these days abkut teeminating early, as I don't think that happens as much.
Sometimes it is more difficult to reverse because of the confusion it then causes (although on the contrary I regular see running fast decisions reversed). So it's not ideal and often decisions aren't made for such small lateness even on the most intensive metro railways but it can occasionally happen.
Playing devils advocate, given reversing decisions can lead to confusion, what is the advantage of reversing a decision?
Yes ignoring such an instruction having confirmed it via either a written not to call / special stop order or via a verbal communication with a controller/signaller would certainly raise some eyebrows without a very good justification (likely safety grounds).
Back in around 2002, I was going from Guildford to Earls Court. The train I was on unexpectedly stopped at Clapham Junction as it should not have done. It was a slam door train.

Some people got out and I hesitated as no aannouncement from the guard but eventually I did get out. I thus got to my destination much faster that day as usually I had no choice but to go via Waterloo. I think a stopping train from Guildford to Clapham Junction would have been even slower than going via Waterloo.
The solution is to try and rewrite the timetable for that branch so instead of having tight turnarounds the turnarounds are more like 15 minutes, introducing an extra unit into that route.
I wonder if there are any aspirations to do this fuether down the line, pun not intended?
Until you get a passenger who wanted to travel to Wellington/Telford finding themselves on a trip to Wolverhampton as they were unable to get off the train in time.
A train once had to skip Surbtion because another train was blocking platform 3 due to a passenger being taken ill. Next stop was Woking. The passengers had to get a semi-fast or stopping train back to Surbiton.
SWR have a nasty habit of ripping out the Andover call on the Exeter - London trains when they are running late (which due to the single track nature of the West of England line delays can easily build up), which is fine until they also cancel the stopper and pull the same trick to the following London train.
How long do you have to wait before they would offer you some form of alternative transport?
Are you in a position to know whether there are crews and resources to do that? It has been discussed on the 701 thread that it might take a couple of years or more for the full 701 fleet to be introduced.

I think you underestimate how thinly spread resources (both in terms of crew and rolling stock) are on the railway.
As I said to @Kite159, I wonder if it's an aspiration for the future?
"The CIS" and "control" will be one and the same, it's just that the decision might be made en route. The next stop will of course normally be a booked one otherwise you are overcarrying people beyond their destination without the chance to alight - I have seen this done though (or a signaller making a routing decision that makes it impossible) but it's very much not good practice.
Occasionally trains have to skip stations due to the only platform they can stop at being occupied and that leads to overcarrying that simply can't be avoided.
Fine if the branch ran in isolation, but not that simple in reality as there just aren't loads of spare alternative paths between New Malden and Waterloo. It needs to be part of a wider recast, the ideal solution being to interwork the Shepperton trains with something else at Waterloo so make it work much better.
Some small things have been done to try to improve things. Shepperton trains no longer call at Earlsfield Off Peak, drivers are no longer diagrammed to work 2 Shepperton trains in a row to allow quicker turnarounds at Waterloo when there is late running. They were also all booked 707 when they were still around as they were believed to be the quickest.
What about Earlsfield during the peak? Were the 707s the quickest and did they do a better job at reducing the skip stopping than at the momemt?
They don't "have to" in some places.
Why is it they don't have to have written papers in some but do in others? Is it to do with technology available and/or how busy the route is?

Finally, I remember when South West Trains announced they would try to ensure the same groups of people were not disrupted everytime there was disruption.

After this was announced, the same skipping patterns of stations continued during disruption so I never understood what they meant by this press release.

I took it to mean they would skip different groups of stations so a stopping service late to Surbiton wouldn't always have Wimbledon to Vauxhall stations skipped but they would do something else. Perhaps they did and it just wasn't obvious.

Last edited:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Thanks for the correction.

Although not quite skip stopping, it use to be fairly regular practice, or seemed like it to me, to tell passengers on a Reading to Gatick Airport service, once at Reigate or between Reigate and Redhill that the train would be terminating at Redhill due to delays.

I could mostly guess correctly what waa going to happen before it was announced and 9 times out of 10 I was correct. I would be expecting it to happen from Guildford, if the delay was big enough at this point.

Nor so sure these days abkut teeminating early, as I don't think that happens as much.

Playing devils advocate, given reversing decisions can lead to confusion, what is the advantage of reversing a decision?

Back in around 2002, I was going from Guildford to Earls Court. The train I was on unexpectedly stopped at Clapham Junction as it should not have done. It was a slam door train.

Some people got out and I hesitated as no aannouncement from the guard but eventually I did get out. I thus got to my destination much faster that day as usually I had no choice but to go via Waterloo. I think a stopping train from Guildford to Clapham Junction would have been even slower than going via Waterloo.

I wonder if there are any aspirations to do this fuether down the line, pun not intended?

A train once had to skip Surbtion because another train was blocking platform 3 due to a passenger being taken ill. Next stop was Woking. The passengers had to get a semi-fast or stopping train back to Surbiton.

Occasionally trains have to skip stations due to the only platform they can stop at being occupied and that leads to overcarrying that simply can't be avoided.

Why is it they don't have to have written papers in some but do in others? Is it to do with technology available and/or how busy the route is?

Finally, I remember when South West Trains announced they would try to ensure the same groups of people were not disrupted everytime there was disruption.

After this was announced, the same skipping patterns of stations continued during disruption so I never understood what they meant by this press release.

You’ve quoted a lot of my points so I’ll sort of reply to them all in bulk!

Yes, regular passengers will start to know the trends (e.g fast between B-E, terminating at X) In some ways this is better; if there is to be service disruption (inevitable on a public transport system) it is arguably better to know what this form it might take so people know how to replan their journeys.

Sounds like your Clapham Junction experience was very much what would now be considered an operational incident for a call outside of the timetable/driver diagram which wasn’t authorised as an additional stop. Driver probably met for some ‘tea and biscuits’ today.

You are right, something not stopping/running fast before the next available stop is sometimes inevitable in certain circumstances but they are rarer For instance running on the main line instead of the booked slow line when the next station doesn’t have an existing platform on the main lines or will cause considerable congestion otherwise. But attempts will normally be made for next stop or at least the next “hub” so passengers can circulate back easier.

As for altering stopping patterns, some TOCs can authorise this with GSMR calls direct to the driver or via signaller to driver. This appears to be more common among mainly DOO TOCs and also I imagine is now to agreement with the relevant local driver reps.

And yes ultimately you would try to screw over the same passengers all the time (consecutive cancellations), and contingency plans - so a bit more than a one off alteration - are generally built so all stations receive a service either it is reduced and if there is no service, then clear procedures on alternatives. Sometimes the infrastructure constraints (crossing points, service patterns, congestion, passenger flows) do prevent it not being the same stations skipped although as I said above that can sometimes at least give some certainty to a situation.

davews

I remember once at Sunningdale after just missing one train that the next on got delayed for some reason at Staines, 5-10 minutes, and they skipped Sunningdale (after stopping at Longcross!). Then the following one arrived at my destination one minute early so I only got 15 minutes delay replay for nearly an hour wait...

They also often seem to skip Clapham Junction, hardly a small station. Once due to delays it took me three separate trains to get there from Staines as as soon as I boarded one they decided to skip. I can see the need to skip but they do seem to handle it very badly at times.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I', so glad I am retired and don't have to put up with SWR's (and their predecessors') crass decisions on skip stopping any more. I started commuting from Kingston on what was then Network SouthEast in 1993. Kingston has always been treated by Control as an inconsequential wayside halt, with getting to Shepperton at all costs being the priority.

Depends which stations were skipped. If it’s Raynes Park north, then plenty of time to change and wait for one behind making the stop while the original runs fast. If they’re skipping stations on the branch then that’s not so great.
In the morning peak it is usually stations between Teddington and Norbiton that are skipped. In the rare event they ran fast from Norbiton it was clear that the signalling staff had not got the message because it was run on the slow lines, making it inmpossibel to make up time because it was stuck behind all the other stoppers. (And of course if it made no calls after Norbiton it was useless for anyone going to Wimbledon, Clapham Junction or Vauxhall as there was no opportunity to change once on the main line (e.g at New Malden or Raynes Park)

Skipping stations after the journey has started is a major hzard for disabled people. They may well be content that they can manage their planned stations independently and so have not arranged assistance , but to find that they now have negotiate an unfamiliar station and change trains is a different ask entirely.
An example witnessed at Waterloo. Last minute decision to run non stop to Teddington. Passenger in wheelchair for Kingston has to be detrained and transferred to the next Kingston line train, fortuitously on the opposite platform face. By the time staff had been found to manhandle the wheelchair ramps (plural, one train was a 455 the other a 707) both trains had been delayed even further.
The pragmatic solution woukld have been to keep at least the Kingston stop in the earlier train.

Established Member
Out of interest if a train waits outside of a station and then there is an issue requiring the power to be switched off, would they have time to get into the station before the power wws switched off?

If there’s going to be a long delay it’s generally policy to try to stop trains at platforms. On the rare occasions where the power is switched off, generally it’ll be because there’s someone on the track who shouldn’t be, so it wont always be possible to be selective about where trains are stopped.

In terms of encountering red signals in normal operation, the chances of a delay due to someone egressing (or issues with people trying to board trains stopped at platforms with doors closed) will outweigh the risk of power unexpectedly being switched off, so on balance waiting outside can be a better course of action.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
SWR are notorious for this, it regularly causes passengers on the branch lines to be 30+ mins delayed e.g. on the Shepperton branch it seems to be operating procedure to divert via Putney after any delay, thus missing out all the stops on the Wimbledon/Kingston stretch. Not great when your journey to school is from Wimbledon to Hampton! SWR get to report that the train is on time but a lot of passengers are delayed by 30 mins as they have to wait for the next service.
The Automatic Lie Generators at Kingston cannot cope with such diversions. I have freqently seen trains scheduled for two hours ago shown as running "on time" - what has actually happened was that it was on time at Fulwell, but was then diverted via Putney. It then gets lost to the PIS system at the omitted stations, which continue to report the train as "on time" long after it has reached Waterloo. No staff ever seem to care about this problem, let alone take the trouble to fix it by over-riding the PIS manually

Falcon1200

Established Member
Perhaps they shouldn't make these decisions until they know the train is actually late not pre determine that it might be.

That's definitely not ideal - telling passengers before departure is preferable.

Yes indeed, any such alteration should be made as soon as possible so that everyone affected (Traincrew, Signallers and of course passengers) know exactly what is happening.

Not allowed in Scotland unless under exceptional circumstances.

That has changed since my day!

For a long while it was the first resort in order to get a late runner back on schedule but after a lot of bad PR in the media it is now more of a last resort. Of course the payback is a greater tendency for the next booked working of a late runner to be cancelled in its entirety with the stock completing the journey as ECS and regaining time on its diagram in so doing.

The example I always used as a rationale for skip stopping was the single track Balloch branch; Trains have a 6 minute turnround at Balloch and there is around 5 minutes at Dalreoch between one train leaving the single line and the next entering. Therefore, if trains to Balloch started to run late this could continue for quite some time, and a late running train from Balloch then had to negotiate its way through some very busy areas, resulting in, inevitably, more delay to itself, delay to other trains, and quite likely both; And quite possibly cancellations later on. The purpose of skip stopping was not, as has been suggested, to reduce the railway's exposure to performance penalties, but to eliminate late running as quickly as possibly and therefore disrupt the least number of passengers.

Having said all that, whether I would have considered skip stopping for a train 5 minutes late is another matter!

norbitonflyer

Established Member
No doubt, but it certainly seems, from a fare-paying passenger's point of view, that the railway would often prefer to operate trains which don't call at intermediate stations (so as to allow passengers to board / alight) and for reasons that aren't always well communicated.
Classic cases of that when they decide to run "rounders" fast from Twickenham to Raynes Park, skipping the stations on the Loop itself. This may indeed get the train to its destination on time, but so would just leaving it at Waterloo. If Control want to run a train round a circuit without making any stops, Hornby's prices are quite reasonable, but they should let the grown ups provide a service to the public
maxresdefault.jpg

pompeyfan

Established Member
Twitter staff seemed to think nothing was wrong because unless they are told by control it can't be.

Aren’t Twitter staff at SWR alongside the route controllers in Basingstoke ROC?

Trains can skip stations for various operational reasons, I’ve never heard of a skip to make up time due to a five minute delay, though. More likely the decision was made, notices issued to traincrew etc., and was then overtaken by events.

I’m pretty sure if an UP Basingstoke stopper is 5 or more late approaching Woking the plan is for it to run on the fast line to surbiton, not calling at Weybridge or Walton on Thames due to the pathing issues and the knock on delays

Yes, as the banner repeaters are interlocked with signals, so can be treated as a definitive indication of a proceed aspect.

Worth baring in mind though that some platform starters are approach control with the track circuit being within the platform

in an utterly inept piece of operating, my original train went ECS to Reading and because it was late then ran back to Waterloo calling at Staines only, so pretty much empty again. They could have reinstated it, and at least got to Bracknell before sending it back, right time and thereby providing a service for far more people. But this is SWR.

How many trains an hour operate on the whole of the Windsor side of SWRs operations? If there’s delay to lots of services it could have been simply missed

Run as 4 or 5 cars not 8 or 10 there's your extra units.They happily run 5 cars on Weymouth trains so a short journey wouldn't be that much of a problem

I’m pretty sure there’s no daytime Weymouth services booked less than 9 coaches. Also I’m sure the passengers would soon start moaning if a 4 car that was on time turned up

norbitonflyer

Established Member
It’s generally only done where the train in question will be on time (or closer to it) for far more fare paying passengers than are inconvenienced.
If only...........
ORR stats on station usage (both recently and pre-Covid) show that Norbiton alone has more entries and exits than the combined total of the six stations between Fulwell and Shepperton, whilst Kingston has more than double that (it is the 12th busiest station opearted by SWR, just below Winchester). If the objective was to get trains back on time whilst inconveniencing the minimum number of passengers, trains would run all stations to Teddington and turn short there, not skip the busy stations to achieve "Shepperton or bust"

ComUtoR

Established Member
If Control want to run a train round a circuit without making any stops, Hornby's prices are quite reasonable, but they should let the grown ups provide a service to the public

Similarly, maybe the crayonistas should leave the job to the professionals or apply for the job if they think they can do better.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Waiting a whole 27 minutes is hardly the end of the world, and I’m surprised it’s worthy of a thread.
It's not just the delay - it's the appearance that nobody cares when empty trains are being run past crowded platforms, resulting in the next train being standing room only. (Especially if it's short-formed!) No-one appears to be looking at the wider picture.

A similar situation , towards the end of the slammer era, was handled in a very ingenious fashion. The train made a special stop on the fast line at Esher (where there is a disused platform between the fast lines) and passengers for Surbiton were trasferred across that platform to a waiting train that had made a special stop on the up fast. Minimum of delay to all concerned.

Last edited:

davethebus002@

On Moderation

I’m pretty sure if an UP Basingstoke stopper is 5 or more late approaching Woking the plan is for it to run on the fast line to surbiton, not calling at Weybridge or Walton on Thames due to the pathing issues and the knock on delays

Worth baring in mind though that some platform starters are approach control with the track circuit being within the platform

How many trains an hour operate on the whole of the Windsor side of SWRs operations? If there’s delay to lots of services it could have been simply missed

I’m pretty sure there’s no daytime Weymouth services booked less than 9 coaches. Also I’m sure the passengers would soon start moaning if a 4 car that was on time turned u

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Similarly, maybe the crayonistas should leave the job to the professionals or apply for the job if they think they can do better.
It is unprofessional to not heed input from your customers. I have 27 years experience of using their services, and about 12,500 individual journeys, (and they have about £40,000 of my money).

SWR and its predecessors are abusing their monopoly. They know full well that they have us over a barrel - Kingston is the only London borough served by only one rail operator, and now that the Lizzie has reached Abbey Wood it is also the only one with no TfL rail-based services at all (no tram, DLR, Underground or Overground).

They know they can ignore the long-standing campaign for re-zoning - most stations within a 10 miles radius of Charing Cross are in Zone 4, Kingston is in Zone 6! (It would also resolve the anomaly that the fare from Waterloo to Strawberry Hill is different depending on which way round the loop you go)

When I suggested this I was told various feeble excuses:
- rezoning would require co-operation with the other operators in the area (as i said, there are none)
- .... and the TfL buses (TfL buses operate a flat fare, with no zoing, and outside Zone 3 have done so since the 1980s)
- it wouldn't be fair, as they would "have" to increase fares elesewhere to maintain revenue (the idea of, perhaps, reducing their profits seemed incomprehensible to him, shovelling a 2% dividend into the shareholder's wallets seemed, to the senior manager I was talking to, a right, not a reward that had to be earned)

Classic cases of that when they decide to run "rounders" fast from Twickenham to Raynes Park, skipping the stations on the Loop itself. This may indeed get the train to its destination on time, but so would just leaving it at Waterloo.
A further point in this vein - running a peak hour Shepperton line train routing via Kingston non stop between Waterloo and Fulwell also benefited no-one. No-one going to or beyond Fulwell should be on that train as, during the peaks, there was a faster one via Richmond leaving a couple of minutes later. (Although I see that in the current timetable that has been reduced to only one train a day each way)

Last edited:

davethebus002@

On Moderation

I’m pretty sure there’s no daytime Weymouth services booked less than 9 coaches. Also I’m sure the passengers would soon start moaning if a 4 car that was on time turned up
They are booked as 10 but like yesterday lots Weymouth trains cancelled from Waterloo or started from Bournemouth due to the overtime ban bots lots of the ones that did run were 5 cars only.Also in normal circumstances some afternoon trains that leave Waterloo for Weymouth split at Southampton and one portion works as a local stopper to poole however because its short formed it can't be split and the stopper is cancelled this happens almost daily.SWR then put on their website service full and standing from Clapham Junction Really?

Established Member

Thanks. Presumably also on the basis that there are many alternatives on this route, and most on the train will want Waterloo or Clapham J anyway.

Quite.

If only...........
ORR stats on station usage (both recently and pre-Covid) show that Norbiton alone has more entries and exits than the combined total of the six stations between Fulwell and Shepperton, whilst Kingston has more than double that (it is the 12th busiest station opearted by SWR, just below Winchester). If the objective was to get trains back on time whilst inconveniencing the minimum number of passengers, trains would run all stations to Teddington and turn short there, not skip the busy stations to achieve "Shepperton or bust"

So you’re suggesting the objective is what, exactly?

And is it just as easy as just turning trains at Teddington? Is it signalled appropriately, is there dispatch equipment etc. and you’re proposing to cut Shepperton off entirely during disruption?

This is degenerating into a very silly thread with wild accusations and speculation from people who clearly aren’t in a position to know the operational issues.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Am I right in thinking that under SWT the Shepperton branch trains interworked with other services at Waterloo rather than self contained (other than at peak times)?