• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TrainSplit beta site

Benjwri

Established Member
It should do, there are some slightly different parameters for finding journeys but the splits for the same itinerary should be the same. If you've got any examples we'd definitely have a look
I actually just looked and the journey I can't reproduce the discrepancy I saw before, will let you know if I find any ones in the future!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OrionHi

Thanks - we've also spotted this one internally and I can reproduce. Need to do some more testing but it might be a bug with the library we use. We have an option enabled to hide the "offset" dates so it only shows the current month, but the individual items are still there in the DOM, just hidden with CSS, which is why the strike info shows when you hover over it.
Haha, I thought it'd be something odd like that, hence the "interesting" bug. I'm glad I'm a backend developer and don't have to fix many bugs like those!

kacper

Angel Road station is still shown, which closed a few years ago

Attachments

• 1708541402551.png
    1708541402551.png
    79.1 KB · Views: 44

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I found a bug...if you click the link to select a different ticket where multiple routes come up in the results it tells you the splits all wrong, I had selected Bletchley-Exeter via Paddington and it was showing me splits for via the SWR service (but actually selling the correct ones).

A second one...going back/forward in time does big jumps and not just to the next screen of trains (this same bug exists on the old version). This is really annoying when you want to scroll back and forward in time to find a preferred option.

Benjwri

Established Member
A second one...going back/forward in time does big jumps and not just to the next screen of trains (this same bug exists on the old version). This is really annoying when you want to scroll back and forward in time to find a preferred option.
This might be related to the bug I reported this morning, apparently a fix is incoming. When clicking Earlier it jumps way too far, especially on long distance. It seems to be okay clicking later

JoshD14

Angel Road station is still shown, which closed a few years ago
I've just raised this one internally to be fixed, thanks for flagging. It also shows on the old site too.

I found a bug...if you click the link to select a different ticket where multiple routes come up in the results it tells you the splits all wrong, I had selected Bletchley-Exeter via Paddington and it was showing me splits for via the SWR service (but actually selling the correct ones).
Do you have a link to the search in question? This is something I can't currently reproduce but it may be I'm missing something here. In my few quick searches now all the lists of split points in the ticket modal look correct to me, but I could also be misunderstanding the problem.

The whole earlier/later experience is not ideal, the earlier fix that is about to go live (degree got in the way today) will help a little bit but we still use the same logic as the old site at the moment which is why it is an issue everywhere. We are looking to make improvements in this area, but it's a long way away for now.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Do you have a link to the search in question? This is something I can't currently reproduce but it may be I'm missing something here. In my few quick searches now all the lists of split points in the ticket modal look correct to me, but I could also be misunderstanding the problem.

With a bit more playing...pick a Paddington train on the outward and a Waterloo on the return and it seems to only show you split information for the latter. Maybe have a play around and see where else it's inconsistent. I guess it probably needs to show the legs separately under the Change Ticket link.

miklcct

On Moderation
The beta site does not allow me to add my Travelcard / Freedom Pass, which forces me to search on the production site.

Jurg

I have found a bug when I try to include or exclude an operator for a search.

I was trying to exclude a couple of TOCs to filter out journeys that were not eligible for Groupsave, and kept getting the attached error which prevented my search:

Oops! Something went wrong performing your search. Please check your search parameters and try again.  ReturnJourney.IncludedTOCs may not contain null or whitespace entries OutboundJourney.IncludedTOCs may not contain null or whitespace entries Error token: 0HN1J367P9JU6:0000002F

This may be related to the additional (-) line added when a TOC is selected in the include/exclude field, which seems to be treated as an invalid blank selection rather than a placeholder to be ignored.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240223-053324-182.png
    Screenshot_20240223-053324-182.png
    111.5 KB · Views: 39

JoshD14

I was trying to exclude a couple of TOCs to filter out journeys that were not eligible for Groupsave, and kept getting the attached error which prevented my search:
Many thanks - I've fixed this one in our test environment but have some other features that can't go live right now, should hopefully be deployed this week though!

This may be related to the additional (-) line added when a TOC is selected in the include/exclude field, which seems to be treated as an invalid blank selection rather than a placeholder to be ignored.
You hit the nail on the head here, I forgot to filter that out before sending the search...

The beta site does not allow me to add my Travelcard / Freedom Pass, which forces me to search on the production site.
This functionality is planned to be added but I can't give a timeframe on this one right now. You can still search on the old site and then handover to the new site and select your journey/buy from the beta for now.

With a bit more playing...pick a Paddington train on the outward and a Waterloo on the return and it seems to only show you split information for the latter. Maybe have a play around and see where else it's inconsistent. I guess it probably needs to show the legs separately under the Change Ticket link.
This is on my radar but I have been busy the latter half of this week and away this weekend. In the example search you gave, I generally found that the outward did not contain splits but the return did, hence the split information for the latter only showing. We have been having some discussions about this internally and we will continue those this week.

embers25

Established Member
I've noticed at the weekend that both the normal and beta site don't always pay attention to the 'wish to change at option' For example on tickets from Brighton I put change at Gatwick (with or without an extra wait) and instead was routed directly to Clapham with no change

Adam Williams

Established Member
I've noticed at the weekend that both the normal and beta site don't always pay attention to the 'wish to change at option' For example on tickets from Brighton I put change at Gatwick (with or without an extra wait) and instead was routed directly to Clapham with no change
This is an API bug that a fix will go out for this week (fix is written, needs deploying). @miklcct pointed out it wasn't playing ball towards the end of last week.

embers25

Established Member
Fab thanks. I only raise as that is the biggest benefit of the site for me and something no other site offers I believe.

OscarH

This should now be fixed

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
My number one wish is to be able to select fixed time outbound but wanting some flexibility on the return. I have to do multiple searches to do this manually at the moment.

As you say, this has always been clunky. I prefer how some competitors do it where they Ajax load more options and extend the scroll bar, so you don’t have to keep flitting back and forth so see all the options.

Adam Williams

Established Member
My number one wish is to be able to select fixed time outbound but wanting some flexibility on the return. I have to do multiple searches to do this manually at the moment.
This is something that's cropped up a few times, it's not something the journey planner currently supports unfortunately - so out of scope for this particular project.

As you say, this has always been clunky

Indeed. I would much rather if the frontends didn't need to issue completely new searches (swapping between depart-after / arrive-before based on whether Earlier or Later is tapped) and the journey planner had first-class support for pagination (some sort of "okay, here was the search I did earlier with ID x, fetch me the next or previous page of results"), which would allow exactly what you suggest @maniacmartin

Last edited:

py_megapixel

Established Member
Not sure if this is in scope of this thread or not but on my Android phone, the trainsplit app is using a light colour theme even though my system preference is set to dark. On iOS it correctly uses a dark theme. Any idea what's going on with that?

Adam Williams

Established Member
I don't think TrainSplit for Android, unlike the iOS app, has ever supported dark mode. It's unclear to me why it was done for one platform and not the other...

It's on the (fairly long) to-do list.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I don't think TrainSplit for Android, unlike the iOS app, has ever supported dark mode. It's unclear to me why it was done for one platform and not the other...

It's on the (fairly long) to-do list.
It is bizarre...

Another strange thing is that the iOS version integrates with Apple Pay, but the Android version doesn't integrate with Google Pay and instead makes you manually key in card details. For this reason I won't use Trainsplit for Android if I need to buy a ticket quickly. It is particularly strange to me since the website does integrate with Google Pay!

Adam Williams

Established Member
It is bizarre...

Another strange thing is that the iOS version integrates with Apple Pay, but the Android version doesn't integrate with Google Pay and instead makes you manually key in card details. For this reason I won't use Trainsplit for Android if I need to buy a ticket quickly. It is particularly strange to me since the website does integrate with Google Pay!
It definitely should support Google Pay.

Google Pay in TrainSplit for Android

Adam Williams

Established Member
It doesn't for me. I click "Pay Now" and the only available option is manually keying in a card number.
View attachment 153480

This is on a Google Pixel 7, so hardly a device that doesn't support it or anything like that!
Am also on a Pixel 7, so that is most odd.

Is it running stock Android 14, with Play Services and Google Wallet installed? Assume it's not rooted or running a custom ROM?

Does your primary Google account actually have a card associated with it that's active?

Last edited:

py_megapixel

Established Member
Is it running stock Android 14, with Play Services and Google Wallet installed? Assume it's not rooted or running a custom ROM?
It is indeed stock Android 14, not rooted or anything like that, and I've set up Google Pay in the Wallet app.

I also have the Transpennine Express app, and that shows me the Google Pay button with no issue on exactly the same device, which is what lead me to assume Trainsplit didn't support it in the first place

paul1609

Established Member
It is indeed stock Android 14, not rooted or anything like that, and I've set up Google Pay in the Wallet app.

I also have the Transpennine Express app, and that shows me the Google Pay button with no issue on exactly the same device, which is what lead me to assume Trainsplit didn't support it in the first place
I'm running a one plus 10 pro on android 14 and trainsplit offers me Google Pay.

OscarH

Out of interest, have you used the TrainSplit app before yesterday, and if so did Google Pay show then?

Adam Williams

Established Member
Does your primary Google account actually have a card associated with it that's active?

This is still worth getting an explicit answer to.

Stripe say:

Currently the Stripe only supports the case where the user has an existing card. If you are having trouble seeing the Google Pay button, make sure that your Google Pay account has existing payment methods.

py_megapixel

Established Member
This is still worth getting an explicit answer to.
Sorry, I missed this question. Think I must have replied before you edited your post.

As it happens, I didn't have one, but I realised this after trying it for the first time and went and added one. The Google Pay button is still missing. I did try removing and reinstalling the Trainsplit app after doing this but it hasn't made any difference

Envoy

Established Member
They asked us to tell them what we think ion the new site yet gave us no way of doing this.

I think that they should clearly ask “Do you want full flexibility”? as a lot of people won’t understand what ‘Open Return’ means.
It is only by selecting Open Return that we get rid of the specific train Advance tickets.

I also think the commission is too high - especially when compared to Trainline and this will dissuade those in the know from using your site. They are already getting 5% commission for each order from the rail companies so why grab more money from the public?

I put in for a journey from Cardiff to Heathrow wanting the cheapest non fixed train (advance) return prices travelling in the middle of the day both ways. train tickets.com came in cheaper tan the new train split by telling me to get a Super of-peak return between Heathrow & Swindon & an off-peak return between Swindon and Cardiff. Trainsplit just came up with an end to end ticket at a higher price. With such a ticket, it would be helpful if websites could show all the trains I could use at a chosen price - some do / most don’t.