• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TrainSplit beta site

MrJeeves

Established Member
It is only by selecting Open Return that we get rid of the specific train Advance tickets.
We are currently testing a "Filters" option on the new site which would let you do this from a normal search as well.

train tickets.com came in cheaper tan the new train split by telling me to get a Super of-peak return between Heathrow & Swindon & an off-peak return between Swindon and Cardiff. Trainsplit just came up with an end to end ticket at a higher price.
I've just checked on the beta site and we also offer this exact combination, too.

Did you press the "Change ticket selection" link on the right to view the other split options we found?
1709568898345.png

1709568856883.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Benjwri

Established Member
I've just checked on the beta site and we also offer this exact combination, too.

Did you press the "Change ticket selection" link on the right to view the other split options we found?
I'm assuming they clicked ‘Open Return’, which as I understand it does not offer splits.

Adam Williams

Established Member
They asked us to tell them what we think ion the new site yet gave us no way of doing this.
There's a button in the bottom left you can click! There's also an explicit call-to-action after you book:

1709570375234.png

I also think the commission is too high - especially when compared to Trainline and this will dissuade those in the know from using your site. They are already getting 5% commission for each order from the rail companies so why grab more money from the public?
Good luck running a rail retail business on 5% (the 5% commission is due to go down soon anyway). The majority of refunded transactions also result in a per-tx loss today, too. Software engineers cost money. Best-in-class 100% UK-based customer support costs money. R&D costs money. Setting up the design for, and running whitelabel sites that share their proceeds with charities (and these very forums) costs money.

You say "why grab more money from the public?" and compare to Trainline, but Trainline unconditionally charge a booking fee for purchases made in advance, regardless as to whether a saving was made or not. The vast majority of customers feel that a "share of saving" fee is fair.

With such a ticket, it would be helpful if websites could show all the trains I could use at a chosen price - some do / most don’t.
This is reasonable feedback, and something that there's an aspiration to implement in the future.

Last edited:

Benjwri

Established Member
Hi, just wanting to report a bit of a deceptive issue I’ve found with first class selection. It is visible from the results of this search.

If you select the option from 15:13-19:36 and First Class, it’ll tell you it cost £42, however if you go further with the purchase, and inspect the tickets offered it is actually only selling you first class between Bodmin and Taunton on the return. This isn’t even for the entire length of the return journey where First class is offered, and isn’t giving you a first class ticket on the outbound at all, despite travelling on trains with the offering again.

This is in my opinion a fairly large issue, as if first class selected it should be offering First Class for the entire journey, not random parts.

Adam Williams

Established Member
Last edited:

Benjwri

Established Member
Looking into this

I think this will behave a bit better now, @Benjwri
Brilliant thank you!

Ok another note is there a plan to improve information in disruption? I was travelling on Sunday and my evening train was cancelled (in Darwin, it remained in the schedule) in the morning. TrainSplit only notified me if this by app notification, I received no other communication on the matter, by email or otherwise.

In my case it was fairly simple as I did not have a split, although still slightly frustrating trying to work around journey planners suggesting routes my ticket was not valid for.

Is there any plan to improve this and make disruption information better in suggesting journeys a ticket is valid for? I’ve seen trainsplit offer 5 splits on a journey, it would be nigh on impossible to filter journeys those tickets are valid on in disruption, especially confusing for the average user.

Adam Williams

Established Member
Ok another note is there a plan to improve information in disruption?
Yes - and it's an ongoing process, but it's fraught with difficulty..

TrainSplit only notified me if this by app notification, I received no other communication on the matter, by email or otherwise.
As you've observed, Darwin changes are currently communicated to customers via app push notifications which are suited to this sort of time-sensitive messaging (with emails you have the risk of greylisting and much .. less assurance that the message will be delivered to the customer promptly). Darwin changes being communicated at all is in itself a (fairly) recent enhancement! Raileasy was one of the first adopters of the Timetable Comparator Service, too. There is clearly room for improvement here, but it's going to take work (and not just in-house).

There are desires to offer a "What can I board with my tickets?" service, but one of the biggest barriers for doing this during disruption is the complete lack of machine-readable ticket acceptance data. My personal view is that - at present - industry doesn't fully understand the need or value of this (or frankly, structured data in general). Indeed, sometimes TOCs prefer to keep ticket acceptance "under wraps" and pretend it is not in place.
There is also a lack of clarity on passenger entitlements during disruption; industry workstreams are trying to tackle this but progress has been slow and an NRCoT amendment is not going to happen imminently.

The way I'd like for this to work in an ideal world - and I've said as much to the ORR - is that when there's a train cancellation, the customer can simply be emailed/pushed a new re-planned suggested itinerary which they are guaranteed to be permitted to travel on. The retailer should be given the business rules (agreed with train operators) to be able to implement the journey re-planning and should also be kept up to date via some sort of pushed electronic messages relating to ticket acceptance arrangements.

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Darwin changes are currently communicated to customers via app push notifications which are suited to this sort of time-sensitive messaging
Definitely the best way of doing this on the day. I've been very impressed with info being delivered in this way.

Benjwri

Established Member
As you've observed, Darwin changes are currently communicated to customers via app push notifications which are suited to this sort of time-sensitive messaging (with emails you have the risk of greylisting and much .. less assurance that the message will be delivered to the customer promptly). Darwin changes being communicated at all is in itself a (fairly) recent enhancement! Raileasy was one of the first adopters of the Timetable Comparator Service, too. There is clearly room for improvement here, but it's going to take work (and not just in-house).
Has it been considered changing notifications such as this (And maybe platform notifications too) to be Time Sensitive notifications on iOS? The issue I had with the notification is that because GWR cancelled my train around 4am it got lost in other overnight notifications which I don't tend to read. Hence I didn't notice the cancellation till I checked it myself. A time sensitive notification would stay on top, and I would certainly say a cancellation is worthy of one!
There are desires to offer a "What can I board with my tickets?" service, but one of the biggest barriers for doing this during disruption is the complete lack of machine-readable ticket acceptance data. My personal view is that - at present - industry doesn't fully understand the need or value of this (or frankly, structured data in general). Indeed, sometimes TOCs prefer to keep ticket acceptance "under wraps" and pretend it is not in place.
There is also a lack of clarity on passenger entitlements during disruption; industry workstreams are trying to tackle this but progress has been slow and an NRCoT amendment is not going to happen imminently.

The way I'd like for this to work in an ideal world - and I've said as much to the ORR - is that when there's a train cancellation, the customer can simply be emailed/pushed a new re-planned suggested itinerary which they are guaranteed to be permitted to travel on. The retailer should be given the business rules (agreed with train operators) to be able to implement the journey re-planning and should also be kept up to date via some sort of pushed electronic messages relating to ticket acceptance arrangements.
Yeah I understand it isn't feasible in disruption, I was more meaning in a normal timetable with an adhoc cancellation, such as I faced. My delay was less than 1 hour (At the time of cancellation), and therefore I could only travel within the validity of my ticket. In my case I was travelling between Goring and Streatley and Oldfield Park with a very weird Sunday engineering timetable. This caused all journey planners to give some suffice to say odd results, with double backs in whacky places. It felt like a game of whack a mole, with a new invalid double back appearing every time. My question was more is a 'you can also travel on these services', even outside disruption, and just using existing ticket validity data which there is access to. Even for advance tickets in disruption this could be showing journeys on the same route and TOC when a service is cancelled, with a disclaimer.

GLC

Has it been considered changing notifications such as this (And maybe platform notifications too) to be Time Sensitive notifications on iOS? The issue I had with the notification is that because GWR cancelled my train around 4am it got lost in other overnight notifications which I don't tend to read. Hence I didn't notice the cancellation till I checked it myself. A time sensitive notification would stay on top, and I would certainly say a cancellation is worthy of one!
Our next app update will include this functionality. Thanks for the suggestion!

Puffing Devil

Established Member
An interesting issue, though maybe niche: A day return from Crewe to Crawley on 6/4/24 does not yield any fares when you exclude Avanti West Coast. Slower trips are available using only LMR/Southern/Tube and can be searched on FastJP, Departing at 0800 and returning from 1800.

Rather than the £109 quoted for a full CDR, you should be able to split in London on the LMR-only tickets, ideally using the Crewe-Z6 ticket and a Boundary Z6 to Crawley, though a simple split at Victoria would be a start, and cheaper.

OscarH

An interesting issue, though maybe niche: A day return from Crewe to Crawley on 6/4/24 does not yield any fares when you exclude Avanti West Coast. Slower trips are available using only LMR/Southern/Tube and can be searched on FastJP, Departing at 0800 and returning from 1800.

Rather than the £109 quoted for a full CDR, you should be able to split in London on the LMR-only tickets, ideally using the Crewe-Z6 ticket and a Boundary Z6 to Crawley, though a simple split at Victoria would be a start, and cheaper.
Out of interest, are you excluding Avanti via the advanced options on the journey planner, or using the filters panel on the results screen?

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Out of interest, are you excluding Avanti via the advanced options on the journey planner, or using the filters panel on the results screen?

Filters on the results. Though I've just tried running excluding AWC and I'm still getting AWC in the results, with no LMR trains. Exclude AWC and no fares.

However - forcing WMT and Southern only brings back this gem of a fare I didn't know about, and is cheaper than a split! I would have hoped this would have been found without any filters with an intensive search.

OFF-PEAK DAY R
CDR Route
✠SOUTHERN & WMT Validity
SEE RESTRICTNS
Restrictions
C0 OFF-PEAK Adult
£62.10 Child
£31.05

JoshD14

Filters on the results.
I've only had a cursory play with the filter function for now but from the search I just completed, there's no return option within the search that doesn't involve a leg on AWC, which would explain why excluding AWC using the results filters will display no fares. Something we can make clearer...

Though I've just tried running excluding AWC and I'm still getting AWC in the results, with no LMR trains. Exclude AWC and no fares.
I can replicate this behaviour, I'll raise a ticket and either myself or (more likely) someone else will take a look at what's going on here...

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Great! Definitely, something going on in the way it addresses "use only/exclude" in the searches

liam456

Hello lovely Trainsplit team, I love the new beta website; very slick and modern!
I particularly like the ability to view all the permutations of tickets for a given itinerary very easily. The permalinks are great too!

Just wondering if I am missing something, but there does not seem to be a simple button to switch origin and destination when making a new search or editing an existing one?

Something like as I've annotated?
1710886965883.png

JoshD14

Just wondering if I am missing something, but there does not seem to be a simple button to switch origin and destination when making a new search or editing an existing one?
This is very much on our radar (and has been for a while), it is just not something I have got round to yet. It will come at some point in the future but can't give a timeframe at the moment :)

Definitely, something going on in the way it addresses "use only/exclude" in the searches
I believe this is now fixed in production from a quick check on my phone - as you say it was just exclude that was broken!

Puffing Devil

Established Member

I believe this is now fixed in production from a quick check on my phone - as you say it was just exclude that was broken!

Good news - it now excludes the AWC trains when asked to. Bad news - it really struggles to pull up the WMT CDR fare as part of a normal search. It is a longer journey, though you have to know it's there to find it by excluding AWC, even with an extended search.