• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainspotting at Madrid Atocha

Status
Not open for further replies.

43303_43058

I’m going to Madrid in a few days, and wanted to trainspot at Atocha on the high speed platforms. However, I’ve heard that you have to go through security. Does anyone know a ticket I need to buy/ staff I need to ask to allow me to do this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nwales58

Chamartin instead - you can see the HS platforms and approach from the northern end of the Cercanias platforms.

HS platforms at both are access controlled. You need a ticket for the service leaving from that platform. Tthe gate from the concourse to the ramp for your platform (stairs at Chamartin) opens only a limited time before departure.

43303_43058

Chamartin instead - you can see the HS platforms and approach from the northern end of the Cercanias platforms.
Should I just go to the cercanias platforms at chamartin or the hs with a ticket?
Also is Atocha a terminus station or does it have through trains?

Actually, let me rephrase that.
Does anyone know the best station (for trains, for access, etc) in the Madrid area? Planning a trip on an Avant so could maybe spot at Atocha afterwards but any other station will do great.

Last edited:

nwales58

Chamartin - Cercanias platforms with a Cercanias ticket.

Atocha is 2, soon to be 3, separate station boxes within the complex.

Terminating HS (including Toledo/Puertollano Avant) use the standard gauge station on the west side, that is the one you seemed to be asking about.

Cercanias has through platforms at a lower level. A few long distance broad or variable gauge services stop at the Cercanias platforms on their way to/from Chamartin.

Through HS now use the new standard gauge tunnel which starts south of and runs underneath the standard gauge station. Currently no platforms but a new low level HS station is about to be built for those services. Some open access services to the east and south run from Chamartin using this, e.g. Ouigo+Iryo Madrid-Valencia, as well as RENFE Alvias such as Valencia-Gijon. Chamartin is being rebuilt with massive capacity to take most long distance services.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Should I just go to the cercanias platforms at chamartin or the hs with a ticket?
Also is Atocha a terminus station or does it have through trains?

Actually, let me rephrase that.
Does anyone know the best station (for trains, for access, etc) in the Madrid area? Planning a trip on an Avant so could maybe spot at Atocha afterwards but any other station will do great.
Doing this from memory but would recommend Atocha as easier to see, Chamartin got large number of platforms (also some platforms being rebuilt last year but may have finished now) so need to find best spot. Whilst only get a few long distance trains through Atocha (where suburban train go) it's definitely easier to see the suburban trains but can't remember if can see high speed trains easily, which I know is what you are after.
Usually a 333/4 at country end of suburban platforms as well that's stabled. There are a few trains that are hauled by 334 diesels that go through Suburban platforms too.
Get a ticket to San Cristobal (there are two so go for furthest one) and sure you can see across to works/depot from platforms. Again someone may correct me here as from memory. Sure that will take you past stabling points too.
Word of warning lots of the long distance trains have very small numbers so familiarise yourself before you go (most carry set numbers but not always easy to spot). Most suburban unit's carry set numbers above the cabs.
If only interested in high speed then Chamartin better bet as easier to see but may find number of trains you see is rather limited.
Hope that helps and makes sense?

Last edited:
The high-speed departure lounges and platforms at Atocha are the equivalent of 'airside' at an airport, so no 'platform tickets' available I'm afraid. Its a two stage process - first tickets are checked and baggage scanned at the entrance to the departure lounges ('upper' or 'lower') - second you cannot gain access to the platform until your train is announced and then a further ticket check. I'd recommend a short day trip to Toledo by high speed service - a very attractive city - you can arrive early and observe proceedings from the lounge and shortly after leaving Atocha you pass the main depot with plenty to observe 'on shed'.

The suburban 'Cercanías' platforms are gated but freely accessible with a valid ticket (which are time limited). The new standard gauge tunnel to Chamartin is now open so the number of main-line services passing through these platforms is now much reduced.

James H

For 10 euros you can buy a ticket that will give you unlimited travel on Cercanías trains in the Madrid region till the end of the year.

nwales58

... a few long distance trains through Atocha .... suburban ...
Now it is only the Almeria IC, Badajoz IC and Alvia so 3 trains a day, from memory.

Everything from the AV lines running through to Chamartin and beyond now uses the standard gauge tunnel avoiding the old 2x gauge change and making Ouigo and Iryo possible

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Now it is only the Almeria IC, Badajoz IC and Alvia so 3 trains a day, from memory.

Everything from the AV lines running through to Chamartin and beyond now uses the standard gauge tunnel avoiding the old 2x gauge change and making Ouigo and Iryo possible
There are also a handful of IR services (Jaen, Albecete) that start at Chamartin and call at Atocha Cercanias.

Dumpton Park

No chance you'd get to stay on a platform at either station without a ticket - and if it wasn't for a train due to leave imminently as most services open 30 mins before departure, you'd be spotted on the platforms and kicked out.

Chamartin is a right mess at the moment as it's simultaneously being rebuilt and has new Iryo and Ouigo services making it busier. That said, with even the cheapest cercanias ticket you could probably hang around on the furthest Cercanias platforms 12 and 13, I think, from memory, from which you can see the various HS operations (and the remaining Iberian guage stuff). Getting numbers would be a challenge for the HS though.

Atocha I'm really not sure there's anywhere very good. But Calle Cerro de la Plata might do, and you can see pretty much everything from there. Pacifico Metro is a few minutes walk. (BTW; Atocha metro station is shut at the moment, with no alternative link from the city centre).

(There's lots and lots of waste ground adjacent to the HS lines as they make their way out, but they're not places I'd recommend anyone hanging around. You'd potentially attract attention, from one side of the law or the other and I'm not sure either would be too understanding.)

You could buy a ticket to Toledo or a very cheap Avlo/Ouigo, and either take a quick trip, or try using it to stay in the arrivals end of the station - which is half way along the platforms. From the arrivals mezzanine - arriving passengers are funnelled down a different walking route to departing ones - you'd probably be OK to hang around for a while. it has an excellent view of all the HS platforms. I'd expect to be asked why I was hanging around after a while and asked to leave though.

DP

Last edited:

stuu

Established Member
. (BTW; Atocha metro station is shut at the moment, with no alternative link from the city centre).
Estacion del Arte is open though, which was the access route when the old station was in use - its 300m away or so. And obviously the Cercanias can be used to major central locations

James H

There’s also a free electric bus - route 001 - which leaves from Atocha.

43303_43058

Spent some time at Chamartín today, got some pics of HS trains from 13 but had to leave due to outside reasons. Everyone was staring at me the whole time - guessing not much of a spotter scene in Spain.

Thank you all for your advice. Going to Toledo in a few days on an Avant (was already in my plan), spending a few minutes at Atocha when I get back. I’ll probably just do some touristy stuff with a generous amount of Metro in between.

yeti

There was a bombing at Atocha station in 2004 killing 191 people. When I was there I was surprised by the airport like security till I heard of the bombing. I had absentmindedly walked through an exit and got very firmly stopped. Probably not the best place for trainspotting.

rvdborgt

There was a bombing at Atocha station in 2004 killing 191 people. When I was there I was surprised by the airport like security till I heard of the bombing.
The 2004 Madrid bombings involved Cercanías trains, which don't have any secutainment. IIRC the secutainment for high-speed services precedes these bombings.

43303_43058

There was a bombing at Atocha station in 2004 killing 191 people. When I was there I was surprised by the airport like security till I heard of the bombing. I had absentmindedly walked through an exit and got very firmly stopped. Probably not the best place for trainspotting.
Yeah this was the reason I perceived as why they’re suspicious of people hanging around on platforms.

Also, updates:

I went to Toledo today, got shouted at by the security guard to hurry up as he needed to padlock the entrance. When I got back, I took photos of trains through the glass, checking with the security guard that that was fine to do. When I was leaving that area the security guard mentioned of a place she knew, and from my (very rusty) Spanish skills I realised she was telling me of a place where you can look down on the trains. I got there, and it was amazing! It was the far end of the car park, top level, directly above the Cercanías trains with a decent view of HS trains, especially P1. Would highly recommend, was there for over an hour with several security guards patrolling the platforms below, looking up and then looking away. No one cared the slightest, and the views were superb.

Last edited:

nwales58

Glad to hear of that success!

If you have the time, stations where AV platforms are alongside unbarriered service platforms include Valladolid, Cordoba, Zaragoza. At Zaragoza only stopping services go through the station but if you fancy comparing offers Ouigo one way and Iryo the other gives tastes of french and italian sets in a day relatively cheaply.

Status
Not open for further replies.