• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tram Derailment at Bulwell 12/06/2023

liamf656

NET is currently in severe disruption due to a derailment at Bulwell at around 16:00.

No service between Wilkinson St and Hucknall​

No service between Wilkinson St and Hucknall due to an incident in Bulwell. Phoenix Park and Clifton services are still running to all stops with delays

Multiple unconfirmed reports on social media suggest that the tram line was struck by lightning on Monday, June 12 at around 5pm - the operator has confirmed an incident is currently ongoing.
Photos from Facebook show damage to both the tram and infrastructure

Attachments

• E69B60F8-18BB-4F57-B186-79E1831CEC6B.jpeg
    E69B60F8-18BB-4F57-B186-79E1831CEC6B.jpeg
    842.6 KB · Views: 478
  • CECFD93F-46AF-403A-A76A-9325CFF51770.jpeg
    CECFD93F-46AF-403A-A76A-9325CFF51770.jpeg
    469.1 KB · Views: 448
  • 7526F22D-0804-4EC6-9816-8BA2E9075EFB.jpeg
    7526F22D-0804-4EC6-9816-8BA2E9075EFB.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 488
  • 1AA7886F-8B7F-43FC-966C-9CFD40BB958C.jpeg
    1AA7886F-8B7F-43FC-966C-9CFD40BB958C.jpeg
    701.3 KB · Views: 500
  • A58E3E12-1055-47B2-953E-58510E95C967.jpeg
    A58E3E12-1055-47B2-953E-58510E95C967.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
Unfortunate timing with the Robin Hood Line suspended due to a broken down train since 2pm. City buses also impacted by Parliament St/Milton St junction being closed

ChrisC

Established Member
NET is currently in severe disruption due to a derailment at Bulwell at around 16:00.

In addition to no trams running between Hucknall, Bulwell and Nottingham there are also no trains between Hucknall, Bulwell and Nottingham on the Robin Hood Line. Unlike the tram this doesn’t seem to be a weather related problem but as a result of a train breaking down in the Mansfield area. There have been no Nottingham to Worksop trains since around 2pm today and the broken down train will be moved overnight. I don’t know why the broken down train is taking so long to move.

liamf656

In addition to no trams running between Hucknall, Bulwell and Nottingham there are also no trains between Hucknall, Bulwell and Nottingham on the Robin Hood Line. Unlike the tram this doesn’t seem to be a weather related problem but as a result of a train breaking down in the Mansfield area. There have been no Nottingham to Worksop trains since around 2pm today and the broken down train will be moved overnight. I don’t know why the broken down train is taking so long to move.
It is being moved on skates which can make it complicated. There is also an issue with releasing the breaks which has further prevented it from moving for so long

Jozhua

Established Member
I was waiting at the Cinderhill platform not long before this was announced. The heavy rain/hail didn't start in earnest until around 5:05pm, so looks like this incident occured before the weather picked up.

Thanks for attaching the images. Looks like the tram is quite badly damaged :(
It does feel like the NET seems to be a little unlucky with regards to derailments of late!
Yes - there was a previous one that happened last year less around a mile from this at Highbury Vale. Mix of high speeds and frequent switches/passing loops and nearly 20 year old infrastructure.

Tram has been under a lot of financial pressure and I do worry this has had a knock on impact on the maintenance of the system.

liamf656

A better view of yesterdays derailment

Attachments

• FE03CD86-050E-4BB9-961F-C76ADCBDA7D0.jpeg
    FE03CD86-050E-4BB9-961F-C76ADCBDA7D0.jpeg
    952.6 KB · Views: 321

Jozhua

Established Member
Moderator note: video removed, due to a copyright claim from the service provider

I managed to get my hands on some video of the event from Facebook.

Looks like the switch was thrown once the first car passed, causing the third car to proceed straight on, resulting in the 'multi-track' drifting. Second car that balances between the two sections hits the centenary pole before the tram derails.

Now, given the tram moves to the left track on the video (right hand side for the tram), this would suggest that the switch was originally set in the wrong position and corrected itself ahead of the third car going over it.

The alternative is that the tram was travelling too fast for the diverging route, as it would typically proceed straight ahead and this triggered the derailment (the switch was therefore not thrown in-between the two segments passing).

Fortunately the speed at which the tram was travelling does not appear significant enough to have caused any major injuries or written off the vehicle, although only time will tell. An RAIB report will be coming I'm sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

mainframe444

View attachment 137267
I managed to get my hands on some video of the event from Facebook.

Looks like the switch was thrown once the first car passed, causing the third car to proceed straight on, resulting in the 'multi-track' drifting. Second car that balances between the two sections hits the centenary pole before the tram derails.

Now, given the tram moves to the left track on the video (right hand side for the tram), this would suggest that the switch was originally set in the wrong position and corrected itself ahead of the third car going over it.

The alternative is that the tram was travelling too fast for the diverging route, as it would typically proceed straight ahead and this triggered the derailment (the switch was therefore not thrown in-between the two segments passing).

Fortunately the speed at which the tram was travelling does not appear significant enough to have caused any major injuries or written off the vehicle, although only time will tell. An RAIB report will be coming I'm sure.
As viewed on this video, the points in front of the tram are “spring” points.

This is the part of the tramway where it becomes single track (with loops at tram stops) all the way to Hucknall.

As the tram travels north , the point blades are pushed over by the wheels, and spring back after they have passed.

The tram in this video is heading southbound and should go into the right hand platform as viewed on this video.

There is a Facing Point Indicator (FPI) shown to the driver, it is on the drivers right as they approach these points.

This can only show points left as that is the correct route, and will only be displayed if the points are correctly set left.

Any other state and the FPI shows a horizontal bar, which is regarded as a stop signal, so the driver has to get out and check the points.

The loss of detection will also sound an alarm in the control room.

It looks on this video as if the points were set left, and would have been showing points left to the driver.

So clearly it would seem that some failure of the points, or other aspects of the infrastructure has failed.

Or maybe excessive speed….

The front bogie has taken the right route and the centre bogie has gone straight on.

Another one for the RAIB!

MCR247

Established Member
Or maybe excessive speed….

The front bogie has taken the right route and the centre bogie has gone straight on.

Another one for the RAIB!
Isn't this the wrong way round? The front section took the wrong route and the centre sections bogie took the right route? Admittedly it’s made very confusing by the wrong route being the route directionally to the right!

mainframe444

Isn't this the wrong way round? The front section took the wrong route and the centre sections bogie took the right route? Admittedly it’s made very confusing by the wrong route being the route directionally to the right!
Sorry, my bad.

I meant the front bogie has taken the right route as viewed from the direction of travel, as opposed to the left route.

Right = wrong
Left = correct.

I hope that makes sense!

MCR247

Established Member
Sorry, my bad.

I meant the front bogie has taken the right route as viewed from the direction of travel, as opposed to the left route.

Right = wrong
Left = correct.

I hope that makes sense!
Ah I see, yes thanks

507 001

Established Member
As viewed on this video, the points in front of the tram are “spring” points.

Are you sure they’re sprung? It looks to me as if they swing over just as the tram approaches the blades.

Set correctly;
IMG_9606.png
Set incorrectly;
IMG_9607.jpeg

Last edited:

mainframe444

Are you sure they’re sprung? It looks to me as if they swing over just as the tram approaches the blades.

Set correctly;
View attachment 137518
Set incorrectly;
View attachment 137519
It does look like that, but I think it’s something to do with the reflection of the tram headlights on the track.

The points are sprung, as are all the points at the stops between Bulwell and Butlers Hill.

There is no points motor on any of the points.

Hucknall points are powered to enable trams to use both platforms.

Source - I worked on the tramway from 2002 for some years.

507 001

Established Member
It does look like that, but I think it’s something to do with the reflection of the tram headlights on the track.

The points are sprung, as are all the points at the stops between Bulwell and Butlers Hill.

There is no points motor on any of the points.

Hucknall points are powered to enable trams to use both platforms.

Source - I worked on the tramway from 2002 for some years.

Well I’ve watched and rewatched the video several times, even frame by frame and I’m not convinced either way to be honest.

I’m wondering if they’re actually half way over, and it is indeed the headlights that make them appear to move, but then I can’t see much reflection on the LH blade (RH blade when looking from the facing direction).
It’s all very odd.

Do you still work there? Things may have changed since you left?

Nym

Established Member
Approaching a diverging route without facing point locks at any kind of speed should be regarded as extremely poor practice, even if it is "Safe".

Nothing wrong with using spring points, but the limitations of these need to be understood and respected.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Approaching a diverging route without facing point locks at any kind of speed should be regarded as extremely poor practice, even if it is "Safe".

Nothing wrong with using spring points, but the limitations of these need to be understood and respected.
As mentioned above, sprung points on modern tramways are detected and an indicator on the approach displays either a diverging proceed aspect or a stop aspect. So it's possible this was set up wrongly and gave a false aspect, or that the driver overlooked it, or there was some fault that caused the points to move against the spring after the tram passed the indicator. In any of these cases it appears the point was wrong as the front of the tram arrived, then move back again under the tram.

Fitting a lock to sprung points means they would no longer be sprung, they would have to be powered based on train detection. They are pretty much universal in tramway practice in many countries, mitigation is the indicator and the low approach speed, though there have been incidents at this type of point previously. The loop points on RETB lines worked on the same principle when first introduced, although the detail was different.

nowicki2

Been down and had a look earlier looks like the tram has been re railed and pulled into the tram stop with the overhead pole removed and overhead lines strapped up but nothing being done are they waiting for parts or directing there attention to the maintenance work on the pehonox branch line

mr_moo

It does look like they move just before the tram arrives. Looking at the video (many thanks for posting), and focussing on both switch rails separately, I think I can see them both move.
As this would be against the direction of the spring, this is confusing as to how this would happen. For them to move would require a force, so where does that force come from, especially one big enough to overcome the spring?
Confused, until I watched again...

There's a person in the greenery on the left of the video, who seems to move distinctly just as the points change.
Is this sabotage?

507 001

Established Member

They may not have FPLs, but going off Metrolink practise, they wouldn’t just be approached at speed.

We have PPIs (Points Position Indicators), which Nottingham and I believe Sheffield call FPIs, which in segregated areas like this would be interlocked with a controlling signal. If the PPI is showing the wrong aspect, you don’t get your proceed.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
But all this “interlocking” is rather moot without a form of SPAD prevention.
Tramway and railway operating principles are different - trams must run on line of sight to be able to share space with other traffic and pedestrians. Brakes and good driver forward/sideways visibility are much better on trams than on trains for this reason, and this assists with signal compliance. Speeds are also relatively low in junction areas.

Purple Train

Established Member
It does look like they move just before the tram arrives. Looking at the video (many thanks for posting), and focussing on both switch rails separately, I think I can see them both move.
As this would be against the direction of the spring, this is confusing as to how this would happen. For them to move would require a force, so where does that force come from, especially one big enough to overcome the spring?
Confused, until I watched again...

There's a person in the greenery on the left of the video, who seems to move distinctly just as the points change.
Is this sabotage?
It certainly does look as if they move, yes. But I can't see a person...

Jozhua

Established Member
At least in the 'swiss cheese' of operating principles, the low speed at the junction prevented any serious injury. That said, if it occurred during the morning peak that could be a very different story.

Looks like Toton Lane services are running from Wilkinson Street and Phoenix Park branch is back up and running.

No signs of Hucknall services returning just yet.

MCR247

Established Member
It certainly does look as if they move, yes. But I can't see a person...
I believe I can see what they are referring to in the video. It’s way to grainy for me to say I also think it’s a person as well - but if you look right to the very left of the video and watch it only focusing on that area - there does seem to be some movement there

Purple Train

Established Member
I believe I can see what they are referring to in the video. It’s way to grainy for me to say I also think it’s a person as well - but if you look right to the very left of the video and watch it only focusing on that area - there does seem to be some movement there
I'm going to sound very stupid - but isn't that a bush?
(Do I need my eyes tested?)

LowLevel

Established Member
I need to stress it is only a local rumour, but in the area it is suggested that a lightning strike damaging equipment during the heavy thunderstorms in the area at the time was a factor in the behaviour of the equipment.