• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trans Pennine Conductor @ York ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

area 39

Hello all.

I wanted to ask around to see if any Conductor positions my be coming up with Trans Pennine based out of York in the near future ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

area 39

Can I ask what you’re not enjoying about the course? I am currently a Conductor with another company due to start driving school with a different TOC are you finding the course difficult is this why?

The course is full on, lots to take in but it's the job itself, I'm not 100% sure it's the way I want to go now.

dilbertphil

If I were you I would really try and stick it out and overcome any problems you may have. Speak to your trainers and ask for help, that's what they are there for. The driver course is an intense time of your life and there is alot to take in but you have overcome the biggest hurdles just by getting on one. Having been a guard once many years ago and being a driver now for nearly 15 years the move to driving was the best thing I ever did. I would give serious consideration before you walk away from it. I cannot reiterate enough that your trainers are there to help you and you should seek their help and advice before you do anything. I know some of the Northern trainers and they're good guys and will do all they can for you. Good luck

I agree with all the other replies here. In fact, I even made an account just so I could post! From what research I've done in the last few years prior to me starting this journey, and even the large amount of managers within the industry I've already spoken to so far, moving from Conductor to Driver is rare, but going from out of the industry altogether to Driver is even rarer. I strongly, strongly suggest you really try to stick it out and tackle it as it comes. Don't take a step back by going to Conductor, you don't know when this opportunity might come along again if you regret it, which I think you will. I understand completely how hard things can be at times, they might make you feel overwhelmed, or perhaps that because there's so much to take in or the responsibility is so high etc. that it's putting you off, however you've got to remember that any steep learning curve would have this same effect. Think about what pilots must go through for example. Keep it up, keep your chin up, ask a million questions to your trainers if you have to so that you can get the end result!

EDIT: The answer to your question OP from what intel I have so far is no, or highly unlikely. TPE just did a recruitment wave for Trainee Conductor's based in Sheffield, Hull, York and Cleethorpes (including qualified conductors) only a few months ago, with this batch of recruits only just starting training around about now.

J-P_L

EDIT: The answer to your question OP from what intel I have so far is no, or highly unlikely. TPE just did a recruitment wave for Trainee Conductor's based in Sheffield, Hull, York and Cleethorpes (including qualified conductors) only a few months ago, with this batch of recruits only just starting training around about now.

I would echo the advice about sticking it out and speaking to your trainers about your concerns etc, as they are there to support you.

There is a course that starts next week for Conductors and my application went in during December last year and they have recruited for a Talent Pool since then so I’d say the possibility of vacancies on the horizon would be slim, unless they recruit to replace people in the talent pool who are offered subsequent positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.