• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

trans siberian express

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonnyB

Yes, I did Moscow-Vladivostok in February 14 (although we did it with lots of stopovers rather than staying on the train for the whole time). Don't underestimate how cold it will be :eek:

You may wish to have a look at the blog which I wrote at the time which can be found here.

JonnyB

Thanks Jonny I will have a read of this later on this evening and maybe bend you ear a bit about it when I have.

Dos's & Dont's if you done it again?

Yes, feel free to ask questions :)

A few things off the top of my head:

• I had enough layers of clothing to keep my body warm in when it was -30C, but my nose really copped the cold, and I could have done with a warmer, thicker scarf to keep the windchill of my face
  • If travelling in 2nd class and sharing with strangers, try to book lower berths, because the Russians often want to sleep during the day and if they have the lower berths you may find yourself banished up to your bunk. If you have the lower berth you can sit or sleep as you wish. Most trains have restaurants, but you need to check the opening times.
  • Be very careful with timezones, timetables are quoted in Moscow time (although suburban trains usually in local time)
  • Be careful of over-friendly restaurant staff who may try to charm you into buying them expensive drinks
  • I would have spent an extra day in Nizhny Novgorod, and possibly Ekaterinburg - more to see and do in both these cities. Maybe a day less in Khabarovsk.

Status
Not open for further replies.