• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

GNERman

Established Member
Not sure this has been posted here yet; Transdev Keighley have announced changes from 21st May.

The rumoured changes to the 64 (Ilkley-Skipton) and 72 (Grassington-Skipton) are correct; both reduced to around every two hours. Minor changes to 62, 67, K9 and Dalesway also.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A "brand new timetable" is certainly an interesting way to describe a frequency reduction!
Agreed. Easily the worst timetable on either route in the last 30+ years.

The 72 is especially frustrating as it comes at a time when the Dales National Park is saying it wants to increase public transport usage. Skipton - Grassington is a route with tourist potential with a bit of imagination.

SCH117X

Established Member
2 hourly is a standard frequency for a North Yorkshire Council funded service. There's nothing to stop the National Park coming up with funding for extra journeys but that could be problematic as the 64 and 72 will be interworked; any extra 72s are going to have a long dwell time unless some interworking can be arranged.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
With my ticket today I got a notification that from May 14 a Keighley KDay is going from £5 to £5.70 (14% increase) and a KCard Extra weekly to £27 (12.5% increase). It suggests looking on their website for more information but there doesn't seem to be anything there yet. There's no indication how app prices will change - I currently buy KDays in bulk for £3.90 each.

SCH117X

Established Member
With my ticket today I got a notification that from May 14 a Keighley KDay is going from £5 to £5.70 (14% increase) and a KCard Extra weekly to £27 (12.5% increase). It suggests looking on their website for more information but there doesn't seem to be anything there yet. There's no indication how app prices will change - I currently buy KDays in bulk for £3.90 each.
https://www.transdevbus.co.uk/keighley/2023fares-keighley

Also fare changes on non £2 tickets on Coastliner/York https://www.transdevbus.co.uk/york/2023fares-coastliner,
and at
Blackburn https://www.transdevbus.co.uk/blackburn/2023fares-blackburn,
Burnley https://www.transdevbus.co.uk/burnley/2023fares-burnley
Flyer https://www.transdevbus.co.uk/flyer/2023fares-flyer
Harrogate https://www.transdevbus.co.uk/harrogate/2023fares-harrogate,
Rosso https://www.transdevbus.co.uk/rosso/2023fares-rosso,
Team Pennine https://www.transdevbus.co.uk/teampennine/2023fares-teampennine,

northernchris

Established Member
2 hourly is a standard frequency for a North Yorkshire Council funded service. There's nothing to stop the National Park coming up with funding for extra journeys but that could be problematic as the 64 and 72 will be interworked; any extra 72s are going to have a long dwell time unless some interworking can be arranged.

Or they could keep the 72 self contained as it is now?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Here are two pictures my dad sent me a few days ago of a quite well specced demonstrator ADL E400 MMC on the Keighley Bus Company Route 62 from Ilkley to Keighley. (SK71 CKX)

View attachment 134253View attachment 134254
It was running on the 66 a few days ago. On the seat backs there's room for a mobile phone sideways so you can watch a film whilst it charges wirelessly
Sadly the space wasn't thick enough for my rugged phone.

northernchris

Established Member
And then the bus on the 64 is only running for one hour out of two.

Looking at the new timetables I think the 64 will continue to interwork with the 62 at Ilkley, otherwise there's some excessively long layovers on the 62. If funding did become available for the 72 to remain hourly, and the bus remains self-contained as now, the 64 could work at being 2 hourly.

asw22

Here are two pictures my dad sent me a few days ago of a quite well specced demonstrator ADL E400 MMC on the Keighley Bus Company Route 62 from Ilkley to Keighley. (SK71 CKX)

View attachment 134253View attachment 134254
It was on the 66 yesterday (Bank Holiday 1 May)

Does this seem a bit steep (given that the off peak K Day increased in Sept 2022 to match the peak price)? Or is it just a reflection of inflation,, increased fuel and other costs?

Looking at it a bit more it looks like it covers a larger area than the KDay (being called the West Yorkshire Plus). So basically like a West Yorkshire Day plus Skipton, Colne, Barnoldswick, Rochdale (minus other operators ie Transdev only).

Last edited:

Seehof

I caught a glimpse of a strange looking grey Transdev minibus on York’s local routes the other day - it was on the 24 in Acomb. What is it? Where has it come from and how long will it be in York for? Thanks

Ant158

I caught a glimpse of a strange looking grey Transdev minibus on York’s local routes the other day - it was on the 24 in Acomb. What is it? Where has it come from and how long will it be in York for? Thanks
This will be one of the ex- Ribble Country Mellor Strata buses which were running around Burnley and Clitheroe. Probably will be at York until Transdev decide to back out of the York local routes like they have the contracted routes in Burnley & Pendle

Delenn

This will be one of the ex- Ribble Country Mellor Strata buses which were running around Burnley and Clitheroe. Probably will be at York until Transdev decide to back out of the York local routes like they have the contracted routes in Burnley & Pendle
Kel Pizzuti, Coastliner and York & Country Operations Manager, has posted on twitter that they have been trailing it as a fleet enhancement for the tendered services, with more to come. Does anybody know which of the York and Country services aren't tendered? I think most of them are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seehof

All the York locals (24,25,26) are tendered. A local councillor told me that York Council has heard nothing from Transdev about giving up these routes. They have been more reliable now the Zap has stopped,

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It was on the 66 yesterday (Bank Holiday 1 May)

Does this seem a bit steep (given that the off peak K Day increased in Sept 2022 to match the peak price)? Or is it just a reflection of inflation,, increased fuel and other costs?

Looking at it a bit more it looks like it covers a larger area than the KDay (being called the West Yorkshire Plus). So basically like a West Yorkshire Day plus Skipton, Colne, Barnoldswick, Rochdale (minus other operators ie Transdev only).

The current KDay allows travel to Skipton, Colne, Barnoldswick and Rochdale (all Team Pennine routes were added in September 2022, prior to that, the only one included was the 502). Skipton - Barnoldswick validity was added years ago when Keighley introduced a very early morning Keighley - Skipton - Barnoldswick bed factory service which did not have a dedicated return. The validity remained after the service was cancelled.

The new tickets adds the other Transdev routes within West Yorkshire - the bits of the Flyer that were not already covered, the 7, 36, X98,X99 and Coastliner.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I am told he has left, but can't verify that.
He's still listed as a director. Companies House are usually fairly quick at updating information once they've received it - certainly taking under a week, usually.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
He's still listed as a director. Companies House are usually fairly quick at updating information once they've revived it - certainly taking under a week, usually.
With Ensign it took them about three weeks.

In any case if he went this week it wouldn't be updated yet however quick Companies House might be.

Goldfish62

Established Member
After they received it, or did it take Ensign a little while to send to them?

Yes, but there's been rumours on this thread about him since early March.
I stated that I can't verify that he's gone so it didn't turn into a big debate!

I've heard far more rumours from several sources about his alleged departure than have appeared on this thread!

bluenoxid

Established Member
He has a new job.

Edited after @Goldfish62 posted

BREAKING NEWS

McGills Buses announce Alex Hornby as new Group Managing Director

McGill’s Group, the UK’s biggest independently owned bus firm, today announced that Alex Hornby will become its new Group Managing Director.

Alex, 41, moves to McGill’s Group’s Scottish headquarters in Greenock after eight years leading North of England bus operator Transdev Blazefield.

Alex will report to the McGill’s Group board including its chief executive Ralph Roberts and owners, billionaire brothers Sandy and James Easdale.

Alex Hornby said: “I am hugely excited at the opportunity to manage a class-leading, successful and ambitious organisation, now the biggest independently owned bus company in the UK, Scotland’s Public Transport Operator of the Year and one of the largest operators of zero-emission electric fleets in the country.

“The future for our industry is bright if - across both the operator sector and in government - we all grasp the right opportunities and align ourselves to zero carbon, economic growth and congestion-busting agendas that the bus can help to realise.”

Look out for the full story in next week's issue.

Source: CBW or it might be my Facebook account

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Update: I have just seen from Coach & Bus Week on Facebook that he's gone to McGills.

Unfortunately I can't post the link to the article because I cannot copy and paste text in FB from my mobile and both are required to comply with Forum rules.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Update: I have just seen from Coach & Bus Week on Facebook that he's gone to McGills.

Unfortunately I can't post the link to the article because I cannot copy and paste text in FB from my mobile and both are required to comply with Forum rules.
The article has ben quoted in this post:

I'm glad that we finally have an official answer to the "where's Alex?" question!

O539

Here's a link to a RouteOne article I've just seen about it which also confirms the news, the extracted text is below:

Alex Hornby named McGill’s Group Managing Director​

By
routeone Team
-
May 4, 2023

McGills Group Managing Director Alex Hornby
Alex Hornby has been appointed Group Managing Director by McGill’s Group. He moves from Transdev Blazefield, having spent eight years there as CEO, and will report to the McGill’s Group board including Chief Executive Ralph Roberts and owners James and Sandy Easdale.
The appointment follows significant expansion for McGill’s that has involved the purchase of the former First Scotland East operation and a growing stake in scheduled coach services on behalf of FlixBus. That was preceded by the purchase of Xplore Dundee from National Express Group in late 2021.
Speaking about the decision of Alex Hornby to join McGill’s, Mr Roberts says: “Alex’s drive and passion will significantly strengthen the McGill’s Group leadership team and ensure that we continue to develop the current business as I focus on our exciting growth plans. We continue to hire quality people and we look forward to working with Alex.”
Adds Mr Hornby: “I am hugely excited at the opportunity to manage a class-leading, successful and ambitious organisation, now the biggest independently owned bus company in the UK, Scotland’s Public Transport Operator of the Year and one of the largest operators of zero-emission battery-electric fleets in the country.
“The future for our industry is bright if – across both the operator sector and in government – we all grasp the right opportunities and align ourselves to the zero-carbon, economic growth and congestion-busting agendas that the bus can help to realise.”
Sandy Easdale has used Mr Hornby’s appointment to hit out at what he says is the Scottish Government’s “obsession with trains,” describing that as “madness.” Instead, he wants to see Holyrood “get a realistic perspective” regarding subsidies for bus.
“We are pouring serious investment into substantial infrastructure at four of our depots to support charging and maintenance of our battery-electric fleet, while a training programme is underway to support vehicle technicians as they maintain the next generation of buses,” says Mr Easdale.

Securoserve

Anyone know why Alex left Blazefield in the first place? I've heard a few rumours. Was he let go due to the poor performance last year, or just moved on to bigger and better things? Or is there something more nefarious involved?