• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

No Spirit

Two excellent choices of fabric to complement the livery of the two fleets, especially the warm red for Zap.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Appears the new Witches and Zaps could also feature a new moquette...

https://twitter.com/alextransdev/status/1262428445553897473?s=20

View attachment 78157

Easy to assume that the dull looking grey and orange EasyJet-esque one is for Burnley, so process of elimination would say the retina melting red 1970s sofa fabric is for Zap.

Hopefully they'll be retaining at least part leather seats of some description, similar to the Coastliner B5s otherwise things might look a little dull and dreary at one side of the Pennines and slightly garish over the other.
Two excellent choices of fabric to complement the livery of the two fleets, especially the warm red for Zap.

To be brutally honest.... I struggle to see how anyone can have a grounded opinion when they can't see it in context i.e. in situ, on a seat, with the flooring and other materials in view. Makes the tweet fairly pointless (though appreciate that it's a teaser) and hardly validates the other opinions, good or bad.

I'd certainly prefer a move to moquette over the leather, and judging by most recent deliveries, that may be the way things go with eLeather trim and headrests. I wasn't keen on the MCR Zap/Red4 Leather ones, sliding about on them, and the overload of red. Something akin to Coastliner would certainly be better.

Last edited:

RustySpoons

To be brutally honest.... I struggle to see how anyone can have a grounded opinion when they can't see it in context i.e. in situ, on a seat, with the flooring and other materials in view. Makes the tweet fairly pointless (though appreciate that it's a teaser) and hardly validates the other opinions, good or bad.

I'd certainly prefer a move to moquette over the leather, and judging by most recent deliveries, that may be the way things go with eLeather trim and headrests. I wasn't keen on the MCR Zap/Red4 Leather ones, sliding about on them, and the overload of red. Something akin to Coastliner would certainly be better.

Ooo no. It doesn't seem to wear very well and looks pretty tatty after a while. AH has said in the past that he won't use it.

As you say though, the part leather setup at Coastliner is probably a fair compromise.

I did once ask why most of the buses just have leather headrests, apparently it's easier to clean up 'hair juices' from leather than fabric...

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Ooo no. It doesn't seem to wear very well and looks pretty tatty after a while. AH has said in the past that he won't use it.

As you say though, the part leather setup at Coastliner is probably a fair compromise.

I did once ask why most of the buses just have leather headrests, apparently it's easier to clean up 'hair juices' from leather than fabric...

Oh right... I just assumed it was synthetic and not the real stuff on the more recent new fleet like Versas. Comes of sitting on two many First Group e400s and Streetlites!!

The Mcr Zap/Red4 vehicles are clearly leather though. Mind you, they're not to my taste (but then taste is always subjective). All just a bit too much red!!

I do think that at least Transdev do try to in the main to give their passengers a decent interior. Last year, I had a day out in Gods Own Country, with trips on four Volvo Eclipses, a pair from 2004/5 and a pair from 2007, and of the two pairs, one each was First or Transdev. The 2007 First one was pretty tired internally with faded seats etc; the Transdev one was better but a bit scuffed round the edges. The 2004/5 examples were much different - First with threadbare seats, rattling internal panels etc. Transdev's had been refurbished with lots of Stenning promotion internally - like night and day compared with First's.

Transdev might not get everything right, might not be amazing, AH's (self) promotion may seem cloying at times but compared with other operators in the same area (and I know First may seem a low bar)....I've generally found them markedly better.

philthetube

Established Member
Transdev always seem to me to be able to avoid the biggest issue with bus travel, rattles.

spuddie

I take it you've never travelled on Rosso then :lol::lol::lol: Those Streetlites rattle like crazy.
The ones inherited during take over, transferred from Burnley or the new ones? Or all in general?

Have heard similar complaints from other operators, think that's why Transdev have stopped going for them.

Alexbus12

The ones inherited during take over, transferred from Burnley or the new ones? Or all in general?

Have heard similar complaints from other operators, think that's why Transdev have stopped going for them.

All of them lol. Streetlites in general. Need ear protectors :lol:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I take it you've never travelled on Rosso then :lol::lol::lol: Those Streetlites rattle like crazy.

Certainly, the 64 plates rattle more than the 66 plates. Might just be age related, and it is a Streetlite problem (especially the emergency door handle going like a Gatling gun!) as shown in other fleets as well.

It might explain why Transdev only ordered the one batch. The others are ex Rosso though I think they got a couple from dealer stock as a stop gap? After that, they returned to Versas - tells a story! Mind you, e200mmc seems the preference now though haven't experienced them yet.

duncombec

Certainly, the 64 plates rattle more than the 66 plates. Might just be age related, and it is a Streetlite problem (especially the emergency door handle going like a Gatling gun!) as shown in other fleets as well.

It might explain why Transdev only ordered the one batch. The others are ex Rosso though I think they got a couple from dealer stock as a stop gap? After that, they returned to Versas - tells a story! Mind you, e200mmc seems the preference now though haven't experienced them yet.

It is obviously a very different situation to be able to have a say in the build from the outset, as seems to be the preference of Transdev, reading, Nottingham, etc., to trying to improve them afterwards (I'm not sure if the phrase I would use here, beginning with "polish the", is polite enough for this forum!).

I think anyone would struggle to do something with the inherent rattles of a Streetlite, and has there not been favourable trade/enthusiast press about the un-rattle-ness of the new Enviro 200MMCs? It is far easier to "down-grade" a bus to a rattle-bucket than the upgrade a rattle-bucket into a bus.

Twisting customer's arms to order what you want to give them, rather than what they want, then creating something leaky (Lothian, I believe?) or rattly (anywhere else) hardly seems a good way to run a business and it's no surprise your customers find other options.

RustySpoons

Oh right... I just assumed it was synthetic and not the real stuff on the more recent new fleet like Versas. Comes of sitting on two many First Group e400s and Streetlites!!

The Mcr Zap/Red4 vehicles are clearly leather though. Mind you, they're not to my taste (but then taste is always subjective). All just a bit too much red!!

I do think that at least Transdev do try to in the main to give their passengers a decent interior. Last year, I had a day out in Gods Own Country, with trips on four Volvo Eclipses, a pair from 2004/5 and a pair from 2007, and of the two pairs, one each was First or Transdev. The 2007 First one was pretty tired internally with faded seats etc; the Transdev one was better but a bit scuffed round the edges. The 2004/5 examples were much different - First with threadbare seats, rattling internal panels etc. Transdev's had been refurbished with lots of Stenning promotion internally - like night and day compared with First's.

Transdev might not get everything right, might not be amazing, AH's (self) promotion may seem cloying at times but compared with other operators in the same area (and I know First may seem a low bar)....I've generally found them markedly better.

I still think the Versas are some of the nicest interiors, ambience wise at least. I don't find the seats quite as comfortable as the B10s, but the combination of underseat lighting and the warm coloured uplighting behind the rear seats really give it a cosy and inviting look. Just a shame the LED strip lighting along the roof is so bright it often drowns it all out. The only real downside is that there isn't a rear window, and despite the skylights you do notice the slight lack of natural light, especially if you're sat towards the back.

I've not been on the new E200s at Blackburn, but as these have a rear window I get the impression they'll feel slightly less claustrophobic than the Versas.

Ashly_Jethro

I still think the Versas are some of the nicest interiors, ambience wise at least. I don't find the seats quite as comfortable as the B10s, but the combination of underseat lighting and the warm coloured uplighting behind the rear seats really give it a cosy and inviting look. Just a shame the LED strip lighting along the roof is so bright it often drowns it all out. The only real downside is that there isn't a rear window, and despite the skylights you do notice the slight lack of natural light, especially if you're sat towards the back.

I've not been on the new E200s at Blackburn, but as these have a rear window I get the impression they'll feel slightly less claustrophobic than the Versas.

The new E200 are really nice inside, better seats and screen, but I agree, the versas do have amazing quality interiors, especially like on Mainline where they have led striping throughout. Shame that they weren’t reliable enough to justify further orders...

RustySpoons

The new E200 are really nice inside, better seats and screen, but I agree, the versas do have amazing quality interiors, especially like on Mainline where they have led striping throughout. Shame that they weren’t reliable enough to justify further orders...

To be honest with the hard running the Mainline services need any midi-bus would struggle, which is why a few eyebrows were raised when it was first announced the heavyweight Volvos were to be replaced by not so heavyweight Versas. I believe there's also been quite a few bodywork issues with the 464 Versas, with cracks appearing where you wouldn't expect to find them!

Alexbus12

I believe there's also been quite a few bodywork issues with the 464 Versas, with cracks appearing where you wouldn't expect to find them!

Some cracks appeared after just a few weeks of service when they were introduced.

RustySpoons

It's looking like services will be returning to some sort of normality from the 31st May, as more and more people are returning to work it's not been unusual to see two buses running the same service following each other. With a more normal frequency it should hopefully eliminate the social distancing issues slightly, although as the services get busier it's going to get to the point where social distancing is going to be impossible.

Timetables are due to be released this coming Tuesday. Think it's safe to assume the late night Saturday X43s won't be returning any time soon, but the Pendle Tinkle Wizz service is starting from the 1st June so the X43 will no longer run to Skipton.

Ashly_Jethro

To be honest with the hard running the Mainline services need any midi-bus would struggle, which is why a few eyebrows were raised when it was first announced the heavyweight Volvos were to be replaced by not so heavyweight Versas. I believe there's also been quite a few bodywork issues with the 464 Versas, with cracks appearing where you wouldn't expect to find them!
Some cracks appeared after just a few weeks of service when they were introduced.

With the cracks and frequent transmission issues so soon after commission, tough route or not, not good enough from Optare, which is such a shame because in a passenger perspective, they’re really good looking vehicles, inside and out, and a good ride too. Sadly it’s the same story with Wrightbus too...

RustySpoons

This could actually be a gamechanger...

https://twitter.com/alextransdev/status/1266416437876396039?s=20

'How many seats are left on my bus? What features does it have? When was it last cleaned? What colour is it? We’re starting to answer all those questions at http://transdevbus.co.uk & on the #TransdevGo app. Great collaboration with our friends
@passengerteam #CleanSafeReadytoGo'

EZM3CRhXsAAP92a.jpeg

I'm guessing it'll take the info from the Ticketer machines, as I believe every passenger who boards will need to scan a ticket or have a ticket issued. Although the ticket machine won't know when someone who boarded with a DayTripper/Weekly/Monthly pass will have left the bus without driver input.

Good idea though, and if it works and is accurate (and won't send the hardcore enthusiasts into chaos when a ticket machine is swapped) it'll be a genuinely useful feature.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
So they're still keeping that name then... :rolleyes:
Yeah, but we know you'd have shown unbridled enthusiasm whatever.....:wub:

Whoever designed that clearly had a good snort of Pendle Wizz :lol:
I don't think it's that crazy. If you think that's crazy, then what about painting one of the most religiously sectarian cities' vehicles bright orange and then declaring it to be "red"

Mind you, anyone associating the term "Wizz" with narcotics is probably betraying their age. It's very out of fashion.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Virtual Launch @burnleybuses

RustySpoons

To be fair, aside from the drug, the other synonyms aren't much better.

I still think it's a missed opportunity to use 'Wizard', it'd tie in with the Witch theme and also a slight nod to the fondly remembered local 'Whizzard' buses.

Also note the contactless payment sticker on the top deck, glad contactless is staying at Burnley!

Stan Drews

Established Member

To be fair, aside from the drug, the other synonyms aren't much better.

I still think it's a missed opportunity to use 'Wizard', it'd tie in with the Witch theme and also a slight nod to the fondly remembered local 'Whizzard' buses.

Also note the contactless payment sticker on the top deck, glad contactless is staying at Burnley!
It doesn’t seem to have done Wizz Air any harm?

RustySpoons

It doesn’t seem to have done Wizz Air any harm?

Very true, although in Hungary people might not say they’re going to the loo for a ’wizz’

I understand why theyve chosen the name, I just think it’s daft, especially when there’s much better locally relevant alternatives that they could have used that’d have the same sort of meaning.

But, horses for courses. Some may like it, others won’t.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
If you think that's crazy, then what about painting one of the most religiously sectarian cities' vehicles bright orange and then declaring it to be "red"

But then the buses before that were green, so you can't win really. Still madness though!

Having seen the full bus now, I'm still not convinced. It's certainly striking, but looks a bit too much like a Double Decker (chocolate bar!).

RustySpoons

5C6481EF-CD3F-4098-8350-FBEE0E40AD17.jpeg

The back ends look quite bland, I think it’s the engine cover that just makes them look unfinished.

‘keep up’ seems an odd phrase to use, considering how easy it’d be to keep up (and pass) a speed limited service bus...