• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

Stan Drews

Established Member
Perhaps the average punter in Blackburn and Darwen don't follow every bus launch as closely as you and the bus company just wants to advertise its new vehicles. If it gets a few more cars off the road and a few more people on to the buses is it such a bad thing to try and promote an improved service?
Ah, you must be new here, let me bring you up to speed.
There are some regular posters on this thread with a strong dislike for Mr Hornby (CEO at Transdev), so would manage to find fault even he walked the streets of Blackburn giving away £100 to every person he met. Most, if not all of them, have never even met him, so don’t expect any rational reasoning behind their disdain.
However, welcome to the party!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alexbus12

There are some regular posters on this thread with a strong dislike for Mr Hornby (CEO at Transdev),

Don't forget the people on here who treat Mr Hornby like a God too, and believe that you aren't allowed to criticise some of his poor decisions.. :rolleyes:

RustySpoons

There are some regular posters on this thread with a strong dislike for Mr Hornby (CEO at Transdev), so would manage to find fault even he walked the streets of Blackburn giving away £100 to every person he met. Most, if not all of them, have never even met him, so don’t expect any rational reasoning behind their disdain.

Or some people, like myself, who don't have anything against Mr Hornby, but feels that making claims that can't be backed up is a bit of a cop out. I'd have the same issue no matter who the company CEO was.

Like I've said before I don't have any issue with the way the buses are specced. I'm not so keen on the livery (or any of the Transdev base liveries, I've said this elsewhere too) and I think the new ADLs have been overhyped and are far from game changing. If that means I dislike Alex Hornby then I must dislike Alex Hornby.

SCH117X

Established Member
The phrase that AH used of "never seen before in the industry kit in them" could apply to something other than the passenger environment - the use of the word kit rather than features being on second reading intriguing.

Established Member
Perhaps the average punter in Blackburn and Darwen don't follow every bus launch as closely as you and the bus company just wants to advertise its new vehicles. If it gets a few more cars off the road and a few more people on to the buses is it such a bad thing to try and promote an improved service?

Maybe the advertising will get a handful of cars off the road. A drop in the ocean though compared to the cars that are on the roads in the town because buses are so few and far between nowadays.

RustySpoons

The new ADLs have been out in service today. Overall feedback seems to be mostly positive, although there have been reports of the next stop displays not being accurate, drivers not understanding how the stop-start system works and reporting the bus as broken down (very odd considering there was type-training [supposedly] taking place over the past couple of weeks) and a couple of leaky roofs around the sky lights - something that seems to have plagued many of the Transdev vehicles that have them when new.

SCH117X

Established Member
The new features on the ADLs are set out in Busandtrainusers blog at https://busandtrainuser.com/2020/01/21/three-contrasting-upgrades/
Principally the combining together of usb and and induction charge into one unit on the seat backs which includes a reading light and judging by the labelling shown in the photos a coat hook! Also a clear screen behind the driver and curved edge to the step into rear section.

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member

There's nothing wrong with promoting an improved service. They could have said they'd be the best buses Darwen had ever seen and been quite right. There was no need for the claims they made to get the attention of potential passengers.

I do wonder how many car users will have seen any advertising for these - has there been much local advertising?

RustySpoons

There's nothing wrong with promoting an improved service. They could have said they'd be the best buses Darwen had ever seen and been quite right. There was no need for the claims they made to get the attention of potential passengers.

I do wonder how many car users will have seen any advertising for these - has there been much local advertising?

It seems theres a few 'UPGRADE YOUR RIDE' posters gone up in bus shelters along the route. Slightly missed opportunity though as it doesn't actually make it that obvious as to what it's advertising, aside from a bus and a route number which will mean absolutely nothing to the non-bus users they're trying to attract.

EO079wlXkAAqwr7.jpg

johnw

You seem to be missing the point. It looks good, just as Stagecoach Gold did.

Swimbar

You seem to be missing the point. It looks good, just as Stagecoach Gold did.

To "Upgrade your ride" you already have to be riding to be upgraded! Poster should be attracting more people to ride not just upgrading the current ones.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It seems that whatever Transdev do, there will be a group of people on this thread who will decry their efforts.

Now I'm on the record as saying that I'm not keen on Alex Hornby's self promotion and his tendency to "humblebrag". I've also said that the way in which the RedExpress reduction and then withdrawal was handled was poor. The introduction of the Manchester CityZap and then the Red4 and their subsequent demise were eminently predictable. However, some of the criticisms on here are ridiculous...

Transdev have clearly spent time and money in upgrading the fleet for the 1. The "not seen in the industry" measures seem to have been insufficient for some people. Yet they are clearly some way ahead of the vast majority of the bus industry and, of course, a marked improvement on what was there before. Also, the posters may not be lionising about every single feature of the service but there's a limit on how much you can communicate to people trundling past in their Ford Focus.

At least they're trying to market bus services, much more than many other operators. A point that Roger French makes out when comparing with the Manchester Orbits and the London electric conversion. Transdev are far from perfect but when you compare them to the managed decline of Arriva or the lacklustre First (in many areas but with some exceptions), then you wonder whether the anti-Hornby sentiment is blinding people to the fact that they are doing much more in terms of product development and marketing than most firms.

Perhaps some people need to be sentenced to a day riding on Diamond in Worcestershire or First South Yorkshire.

carlberry

Established Member
I believe these people who go around giving £100 to everybody need to realise how inconvenient it is trying to get past the crowds of people they attract. It's really dreadful and they need to be locked up! :lol:

Swimbar

It seems that whatever Transdev do, there will be a group of people on this thread who will decry their efforts.

Now I'm on the record as saying that I'm not keen on Alex Hornby's self promotion and his tendency to "humblebrag". I've also said that the way in which the RedExpress reduction and then withdrawal was handled was poor. The introduction of the Manchester CityZap and then the Red4 and their subsequent demise were eminently predictable. However, some of the criticisms on here are ridiculous...

Transdev have clearly spent time and money in upgrading the fleet for the 1. The "not seen in the industry" measures seem to have been insufficient for some people. Yet they are clearly some way ahead of the vast majority of the bus industry and, of course, a marked improvement on what was there before. Also, the posters may not be lionising about every single feature of the service but there's a limit on how much you can communicate to people trundling past in their Ford Focus.

At least they're trying to market bus services, much more than many other operators. A point that Roger French makes out when comparing with the Manchester Orbits and the London electric conversion. Transdev are far from perfect but when you compare them to the managed decline of Arriva or the lacklustre First (in many areas but with some exceptions), then you wonder whether the anti-Hornby sentiment is blinding people to the fact that they are doing much more in terms of product development and marketing than most firms.

Perhaps some people need to be sentenced to a day riding on Diamond in Worcestershire or First South Yorkshire.

There is little doubt that some of Transdev's marketing is good.
To announce that there will be no fare increases this year on the day that Rail fares go up is clearly well thought through.
The local radio adverts extolling the virtues of the 36 against overcrowded trains was again well prepared. Unfortunately there are now 3 trains per hour instead of two.
My point on the bus shelter advert is that it is not going to get anybody out of their car - I think!
'Why sit in your car when you can travel on our new luxury buses' might attract more passengers.
I could be wrong - not perfect

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
There is little doubt that some of Transdev's marketing is good.
To announce that there will be no fare increases this year on the day that Rail fares go up is clearly well thought through.
The local radio adverts extolling the virtues of the 36 against overcrowded trains was again well prepared. Unfortunately there are now 3 trains per hour instead of two.
My point on the bus shelter advert is that it is not going to get anybody out of their car - I think!
'Why sit in your car when you can travel on our new luxury buses' might attract more passengers.
I could be wrong - not perfect

Maybe they're following the tried and tested "3 word" marketing trick - Get Brexit Done, Yes We Can, Upgrade Your Ride

It just seems that Transdev doing "something positive" seems to generate much more negative attention than other operators doing the square root of jack all, and seemingly because some people have some issue with a bloke they've never met.

RustySpoons

With regards to the RedEx being saved (I assume the lack of mention of the Red4 means it's still going), the 'improvements'/changes to the Irwell Line will no longer be taking place, and it'll continue to operate as normal.

I wonder if any buses were already in the process of being repainted into Irwell Line livery ready for the now scrapped changes?

Timetable has been released for the 'new' RedEx, essentially looks the same as it is now, aside from faster commuter buses.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/.../downloads/Red Express Web TT 26-Jan-2020.pdf

Wonder if the ex Red4 B7RLEs will find new homes on the RedEx......?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
With regards to the RedEx being saved (I assume the lack of mention of the Red4 means it's still going), the 'improvements'/changes to the Irwell Line will no longer be taking place, and it'll continue to operate as normal.

I wonder if any buses were already in the process of being repainted into Irwell Line livery ready for the now scrapped changes?

Timetable has been released for the 'new' RedEx, essentially looks the same as it is now, aside from faster commuter buses.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/images.transdevplc.co.uk/downloads/Red Express Web TT 26-Jan-2020.pdf

Wasn't the problem that they had plenty of peak time passengers into Manchester (so needing deckers) and the rest of the time, it was half a dozen pensioners so they will still need the deckers?

The Red4 Eclipses will doubtless find a home but doubt it'll be the RedEx. Valley Line might be one place where the "features" will be welcomed rather than the bells and whistles being on a route like the Red4 where the average journey duration is about 10 mins!

RustySpoons

The Red4 Eclipses will doubtless find a home but doubt it'll be the RedEx. Valley Line might be one place where the "features" will be welcomed rather than the bells and whistles being on a route like the Red4 where the average journey duration is about 10 mins!

Good shout. Forgot about the Valley Line. They'd certainly be an upgrade (for none enthusiast passengers!) from the B10s.

SCH117X

Established Member
Tweet today by Alexander Dennis that also the new rear floor layout on the Blackburn 1 fleet eliminates wheelarch intrusion to passengers' legroom

RustySpoons

Tweet today by Alexander Dennis that also the new rear floor layout on the Blackburn 1 fleet eliminates wheelarch intrusion to passengers' legroom

Quite sad that it's taken an operator to specify/demand something like that, when you'd have thought it would be a design priority in the first place.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/images.transdevplc.co.uk/downloads/Red Express Web TT 26-Jan-2020.pdf

It would be even faster if it joined the bypass/motorway after Helmshore rather than meandering through Edenfield, Stubbins and Ramsbottom! Crossing the motorway three times - just to remind passengers how indirect the new improved #amazing Red Express is! Even faster still if it went direct from Haslingden (avoiding Helmshore), like it always used too!

Stan Drews

Established Member
Quite sad that it's taken an operator to specify/demand something like that, when you'd have thought it would be a design priority in the first place.
So, are we now saying that there are some ‘industry firsts’ on these new buses? :rolleyes:

SCH117X

Established Member
I wouldn't, it's a design tweak. .
Is that the non-protruding wheel arch, the curved edge step, the clear glazed panel behind the driver, the combi phone charging units with reading light or the blue led strips? Strikes me where Transdev have blundered is not producing a section graphic through one of them showing the features.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Is that the protruding wheel arch, the curved edge step, the clear glazed panel behind the driver, the combi phone charging units with reading light or the blue led strips? Strikes me where Transdev have blundered is not producing a section graphic through one of them showing the features.

Ahh, but is it industry leading?

Perhaps panda fur seats? Ivory handrails? That's what we need ;)

RustySpoons

Is that the non-protruding wheel arch, the curved edge step, the clear glazed panel behind the driver, the combi phone charging units with reading light or the blue led strips? Strikes me where Transdev have blundered is not producing a section graphic through one of them showing the features.

They did one of these...

82537624_2747040075372906_5630652316320268288.jpg

Odd that they didn't mention the coat hooks or the reading lights though. Don't think the 'sexy Stenning step' (as Ray keeps cringily referring to it as) would ever be worthy of advertising a service.

They did a similar poster with the Mainline Versa's, and I think the Aireline's for Keighley too.

Talking of Keighley, is there any relevance behind the aviation related brands that don't serve any airports? Aireline (airline), Jets, Shuttle. I can understand the Shuttle, as it's been part of the brand for years, and Aireline obviously because of the River Aire. Was Jets just used to tie the three in with a vague theme?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
They did one of these...

View attachment 73087

Odd that they didn't mention the coat hooks or the reading lights though. Don't think the 'sexy Stenning step' (as Ray keeps cringily referring to it as) would ever be worthy of advertising a service.

They did a similar poster with the Mainline Versa's, and I think the Aireline's for Keighley too.

Talking of Keighley, is there any relevance behind the aviation related brands that don't serve any airports? Aireline (airline), Jets, Shuttle. I can understand the Shuttle, as it's been part of the brand for years, and Aireline obviously because of the River Aire. Was Jets just used to tie the three in with a vague theme?

Wasn’t it suggested that Shuttle had connotations with the textile industry (Shuttle and Loom)?

Aireline is much the same as Irwell Line really. In fact, the <river>Line or <river>Link is one of those common combos for bus companies across the years. First Calderline springs to mind!

Swimbar

Maybe they're following the tried and tested "3 word" marketing trick - Get Brexit Done, Yes We Can, Upgrade Your Ride

'Spot the bus' very appropriate if you live in the Oatlands or Crossways areas of Harrogate where the bus company that has been serving Harrrogate for 'over 106 years' seems to have forgotten where it served

Last edited: