• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

Andyh82

Established Member
Of course whilst there is all the usual criticism of Transdev here, their neighbours such as First West Yorkshire rarely post any cancellations at all.

It’s funny how it’s this thread rather than the ones for First, Arriva etc that goes down this road of criticism with people trying to catch them out all the time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RustySpoons

Of course whilst there is all the usual criticism of Transdev here, their neighbours such as First West Yorkshire rarely post any cancellations at all.

It’s funny how it’s this thread rather than the ones for First, Arriva etc that goes down this road of criticism with people trying to catch them out all the time.

Fair point. Though for me I pretty much never use First services so their cancellations have never affected me.

My criticism comes from being let down on more than one consecutive occasion by Transdev and their lack of updates on cancelled services. I just can't rely on them at the moment, and I feel for anyone who does and is let down.

Goldfish62

Established Member

What's your point?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
What's your point?
I suspect that @Andyh82 is suggesting that there are certain posters who are more pre-disposed to point out Transdev's failings than any other firm, and having had an axe to grind for months or year, might be taking pleasure in the opportunity to highlight such deficiencies?

Clearly, there is a risk in trumpeting your business, ticking the box marked "publicity" and then failing to deliver stellar service. That much is true. There is also the personal aspect of Alex Hornby who has a gift for (self) promotion and that doesn't sit well for many, including myself. That the day-to-day experience doesn't match the hype is an issue, and then there's the continued pumping out of pre-arranged puff pieces on the socials yet not providing customer info. Not to mention the ill-chosen path of continuing to roll out the new competitive services at Team Pennine when they really should have concentrated on having enough resources for their existing services.

So is such performance "Amazing" - well, clearly it isn't. If they are your local operator and you don't have a reference point or the knowledge of other operators, then you can't make that comparison. If you have to rely on them, it doesn't matter anyway how bad Arriva might be, and why have a low bar as a comparator? However, I'd still suggest that Transdev is a damn sight better than many other bus operators.

Andyh82

Established Member
Rosso have gained a number of new tenders in the Rochdale and Oldham areas

PC0001838/397 Registered
ROSSENDALE TRANSPORT LTD
Route: Oldham to Oldham Circular via Shaw & Rushcroft
Service number: 403
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 24 Apr 2022

PC0001838/396 Registered
ROSSENDALE TRANSPORT LTD
Route: Oldham to Oldham Circular via Shaw and Buckstones
Service number: 402

PC0001838/408 Registered
ROSSENDALE TRANSPORT LTD
Route: Rochdale to Rochdale via Milnrow, Shaw & Buckstones
Service number: R9 (R10)
Service type: Hail & Ride, Normal Stopping

PC0001838/407 Registered
ROSSENDALE TRANSPORT LTD
Route: Rochdale to Middleton via Kirkholt
Service number: R7

PC0001838/406 Registered
ROSSENDALE TRANSPORT LTD
Route: Rochdale to Rochdale via Milnrow & Ladyhouse
Service number: R6

PC0001838/405 Registered
ROSSENDALE TRANSPORT LTD
Route: Rochdale to Littleborough via Milnrow
Service number: R5

Also current services R2, R3, R4, B1, B2, B4 & 6 have been registered under Rossendale Transport rather than Burnley & Pendle Travel as they are now

aswilliamsuk

Rosso have gained a number of new tenders in the Rochdale and Oldham areas

PC0001838/397 Registered
ROSSENDALE TRANSPORT LTD
Route: Oldham to Oldham Circular via Shaw & Rushcroft
Service number: 403

PC0001838/396 Registered
ROSSENDALE TRANSPORT LTD
Route: Oldham to Oldham Circular via Shaw and Buckstones
Service number: 402

PC0001838/408 Registered
ROSSENDALE TRANSPORT LTD
Route: Rochdale to Rochdale via Milnrow, Shaw & Buckstones
Service number: R9 (R10)

PC0001838/407 Registered
ROSSENDALE TRANSPORT LTD
Route: Rochdale to Middleton via Kirkholt
Service number: R7

PC0001838/406 Registered
ROSSENDALE TRANSPORT LTD
Route: Rochdale to Rochdale via Milnrow & Ladyhouse
Service number: R6

PC0001838/405 Registered
ROSSENDALE TRANSPORT LTD
Route: Rochdale to Littleborough via Milnrow
Service number: R5

Also current services R2, R3, R4, B1, B2, B4 & 6 have been registered under Rossendale Transport rather than Burnley & Pendle Travel as they are now
These gains help explain the arrival of ex-Nottingham E200s, then (according to WYIS (https://www.wyis.org.uk/), six so far with another nine to come)!

RustySpoons

Looks like there'll be a new monthly survey/Q&A type thing coming very soon...

From @AlexTransdev Twitter
We want to know what you think and we’ll not stop listening, whether it’s good or bad. New for 2022, every month we’ll gather your views from 20 questions issued both online and on our buses. Look out for our surveys starting this month. #spillthebeans
Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 17.13.38.png

Not sure how the 'bad' will go down, as the usual approach seems to be ignore/block. I understand the deliberately antagonistic people being blocked but ignoring or blocking actual customers with genuine issues isn't on, as has been discussed on here a few times before.

It'll be interesting to see what areas their 20 questions cover.

Also, is it just me who things a teacup doesn't really fit in with the 'spill the beans' slogan?

Looks like there'll be a new monthly survey/Q&A type thing coming very soon...

From @AlexTransdev Twitter

View attachment 109721

Not sure how the 'bad' will go down, as the usual approach seems to be ignore/block. I understand the deliberately antagonistic people being blocked but ignoring or blocking actual customers with genuine issues isn't on, as has been discussed on here a few times before.

It'll be interesting to see what areas their 20 questions cover.

Also, is it just me who things a teacup doesn't really fit in with the 'spill the beans' slogan?
As a totally non-tea coffee drinker I must say that the cup looks very much like the one that I have my daily dose of arabica beans out of.

RustySpoons

As a totally non-tea coffee drinker I must say that the cup looks very much like the one that I have my daily dose of arabica beans out of.
Fair point! Whenever I see beans I always think of the baked variety!

theblackwatch

Established Member
Another victim of the driver shortages - Transdev has announced today that the '1' Harrogate-Knaresborough route will be temporarily reduced to a 10 minute frequency instead of every 7/8 minutes as previously. So 6 buses an hour instead of 8. They might end up giving a few passengers to 'rival' Connexions who run every 15 minutes on the route in the daytime.

RELL6L

Another victim of the driver shortages - Transdev has announced today that the '1' Harrogate-Knaresborough route will be temporarily reduced to a 10 minute frequency instead of every 7/8 minutes as previously. So 6 buses an hour instead of 8. They might end up giving a few passengers to 'rival' Connexions who run every 15 minutes on the route in the daytime.
I travelled on the competing Connexions route on Friday (full report in the 'Trips' thread). There seemed to be plenty of passengers for both operators on these routes, at least when I was travelling. A few cancellations on Transdev though and three 'permanent' cancellations on the Connexions route.

Ken H

On Moderation
I travelled on the competing Connexions route on Friday (full report in the 'Trips' thread). There seemed to be plenty of passengers for both operators on these routes, at least when I was travelling. A few cancellations on Transdev though and three 'permanent' cancellations on the Connexions route.
staff shortage? I thought that was pretty much resolved now with driver tests starting again.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Thanks, just read your review - I see mention of some services being delayed due to traffic in Harrogate - it's an age-old problem! The 1/X1 is my local route and passenger numbers can vary a lot, often dependant on if there have been gaps in services/cancellations. The route suffers more than others with delays due to the level crossing at Starbeck. Personally, I see 10 buses an hour (6x Transdev and 4x Connexions - although Connexions reduce to 30 mins at times for driver breaks/buses going on schools) as being sufficient. For me, the problem has been in the evenings, when the service reduces to every 20 minutes with Transdev, and on two occasions I have suffered two consecutive buses being cancelled, meaning there's been an hour gap. Hopefully, the latest service reductions, which are the second to be implemented in recent months, will stop this happening.

SCH117X

Established Member
Vehicle issues seem to be as prevaliant in the reasons for cancellations as driver shortages. At times they have replaced the 1A/1B/1C/1D with 1Ns serving all of Knarebsorough in a giant loop. Elsewhere Coastliner tweeted yesterday;
We just wanted to apologise for not keeping to our usual standards. We have suffered significant delays to deliveries of vehicle parts which has impacted our small, bespoke fleet here. We feel we’ve overcome the worst of these issues now and thank you all for bearing with us

RustySpoons

How noticeable is a 10 minute frequency to passengers rather than a 7/8 minute frequency? Surely an extra 2 minutes wait is barely noticeable. Seems a very small price to pay for the operator to take 2 buses out of the duty with very little (if any) impact on the passengers.

markymark2000

On Moderation
How noticeable is a 10 minute frequency to passengers rather than a 7/8 minute frequency? Surely an extra 2 minutes wait is barely noticeable. Seems a very small price to pay for the operator to take 2 buses out of the duty with very little (if any) impact on the passengers.
That 2 minute difference is only on the common sections The 1C/1D suffers though going from 4 buses per hour down to 2. (1D remains 1bph but I have included it because it follows the same routing as the 1C)

SCH117X

Established Member
That 2 minute difference is only on the common sections The 1C/1D suffers though going from 4 buses per hour down to 2. (1D remains 1bph but I have included it because it follows the same routing as the 1C)
Must be the worse service north Knaresborough has had for a long time - back in the 1990s the main core was 6 buses an hour that was formed of 3 1s (now 1C) and 3 2s (since split into two routes which have expanded to todays 1A and 1B). Presumably because the 1C/1D combi was 4 buses a hour that was why Connexions avoided competing since having got stung with their X1C which showed there was not the demand for more than 4 non Transdev buses a hour along the main core whilst the routing in Knaresborough was pretty weird.

RustySpoons

There's some changes to fares in Lancashire...

Details of new fares in Blackburn

For travel in Blackburn, Darwen and Accrington our standard fares will be:​

£2.00 single (or £1.30 for under 19s) for short journeys

£2.60 single (or £1.70 for under 19s) such as Darwen Vale to Blackburn or Oswaldtwistle to Blackburn

£3.50 single (or £2.30 for under 19s) for longer journeys

Details of new fares in Burnley

For travel in Burnley, Nelson and Colne our standard fares will be:​

£2.00 single (or £1.30 for under 19s) for short journeys

£2.50 single (or £1.70 for under 19s) such as Queensgate, Stoops, General Hospital, Pike Hill, Rosegrove to Burnley

£3.20 single (or £2.00 for under 19s) such as Padiham or Nelson to Burnley

£3.80 single (or £2.50 for under 19s) such as Colne or Accrington to Burnley

Depending on where you board and where the cut off is for 'short journeys' it looks like there may be a slight fare reduction for some journeys. If the £2.50 single fare applies for the starting point for most of the town services it's a saving of about 20p, though it's interesting it states General Hospital and not Harle Syke, as well as Pike Hill and not Worsthorne. If they fall into the next fare stage that'll be an increase of 50p on a single fare and falls very close to the cost of a taxi.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
staff shortage? I thought that was pretty much resolved now with driver tests starting again.
I'm guessing not. There's still a few lower frequency timetables around the Transdev network (662, Mainline) along with missing late journeys on the 36 and Witch Way - unless they've decided passenger numbers aren't worth putting them back to how they were before.

Last edited:

superkev

Established Member
With First Bradford introducing some new Clean Air Zone (CAZ) compliant buses today how does Transdevs Keighley operation fare. Are all the buses which go into the Bradford and Shipley CAZ zone compliant?
Thanks.
K

RustySpoons

With First Bradford introducing some new Clean Air Zone (CAZ) compliant buses today how does Transdevs Keighley operation fare. Are all the buses which go into the Bradford and Shipley CAZ zone compliant?
Thanks.
K
I believe the majority of the fleet are Euro 6 compliant, either by design or retrofit upgrades. The electric vehicles due for the 662 should see off the rest of the un-compliant fleet.

RELL6L

I believe the majority of the fleet are Euro 6 compliant, either by design or retrofit upgrades. The electric vehicles due for the 662 should see off the rest of the un-compliant fleet.
What about the elderly Volvo B7TL double deckers that work some journeys on the 67 into Bradford? Have they been retrofitted?

RustySpoons

What could have been...

@AlexTransdev Twitter...
It very nearly happened. Plans to create #CrissCross from Clitheroe to Chorley, back in 2016 as a north/south link across Blackburn complementing the west/east #Hotline. It never came to be and we settled on #Valleyline with a through link to Royal Blackburn Hosp instead.
Screenshot 2022-03-07 at 11.00.27.png

A very similar colour scheme to the current 'Cross City' brand that Go North West have in Manchester. CrissCross ahead of its time or a recycled design?

northern506

There's some changes to fares in Lancashire...

Details of new fares in Blackburn

Details of new fares in Burnley

Depending on where you board and where the cut off is for 'short journeys' it looks like there may be a slight fare reduction for some journeys. If the £2.50 single fare applies for the starting point for most of the town services it's a saving of about 20p, though it's interesting it states General Hospital and not Harle Syke, as well as Pike Hill and not Worsthorne. If they fall into the next fare stage that'll be an increase of 50p on a single fare and falls very close to the cost of a taxi.

Just reading through that, some of those fares, for example £7 from Blackburn to Preston seem ridiculous. It's only £5 for a day ticket to use on Stagecoach services covering Blackburn to Preston.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Just reading through that, some of those fares, for example £7 from Blackburn to Preston seem ridiculous. It's only £5 for a day ticket to use on Stagecoach services covering Blackburn to Preston.
A Transdev Lancashire Day ticket is also £7 (£5.60 if you buy a pack on 10 on the app).

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
What could have been...

@AlexTransdev Twitter...

View attachment 111124

A very similar colour scheme to the current 'Cross City' brand that Go North West have in Manchester. CrissCross ahead of its time or a recycled design?
Tweeting about a plan that didn't happen six years ago, when current routes are suffering cancellations and fare rises?

I can sort of see how he rubs some people up the wrong way to be honest.

M803UYA

Tweeting about a plan that didn't happen six years ago, when current routes are suffering cancellations and fare rises?

I can sort of see how he rubs some people up the wrong way to be honest.
Quite. People are more interested in a bus turning up when the timetable says it will, that the fares are affordable. Rather than a 'look at me' social media post.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Quite. People are more interested in a bus turning up when the timetable says it will, that the fares are affordable. Rather than a 'look at me' social media post.
Although you'd expect those people to be following the bus company accounts rather than his.

Ancelljb

Although you'd expect those people to be following the bus company accounts rather than his.
I thought the same, this is his personal Twitter account, not an official company one. And probably many of his followers will be interested in previous ventures/experiments that never made it to production.

jammy36

Indeed... it's a light-hearted post from a personal Twitter account, not something worth getting knickers in a twist over. Personally I like seeing snippets like this - at least, whatever Alex's perceived faults, he genuinely has some enthusiasm for buses.