• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transit Move

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I have recently heard of a train move being referred to as a "Transit Move" Does anyone know (most likely, you clever folks at RUKF) if there is anything special about a "Transit move" or is it just a rose by any other name ?

Cheers in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
A rose my any other name surely?

( although depends on the context i suppose - the phrase is used a lot in the OTM community)

BRblue

I see it used frequently for test/recording trains... transit from A-B, record from B-C, transit from C-D, record from D-E and so on.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I see it used frequently for test/recording trains... transit from A-B, record from B-C, transit from C-D, record from D-E and so on.

This makes a lot more sense now; thanks.

Would it therefore also follow that for test trains there will be different terminology used on the diagrams etc ?

BRblue

This makes a lot more sense now; thanks.

Would it therefore also follow that for test trains there will be different terminology used on the diagrams etc ?
I have never seen a drivers diagram so have no idea... sorry about that chap.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Does anyone use "Transit move" for empty stock working? I've heard "positioning move" and the Americans use the term "deadheading".

rd749249

We use transit move all the time during Crossrail testing. It denotes a move specifically designed to get from one place to another which is not part of any planned testing. This can include to/from depots or stabling points.

driver9000

Established Member
I've only heard it used to describe a unit or loco hitching a lift with another train to move between locations to save a path.

class 9

Does anyone use "Transit move" for empty stock working? I've heard "positioning move" and the Americans use the term "deadheading".
I believe the American term deadheading is the same as a crew member travelling passenger as part of their diagram, not a train/loco.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The fact it's used in one way by one group of people doesn't rule out another group of people using it in a different way. The railway is infested by jargon that often means slightly different things to different people.

Status
Not open for further replies.