• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TransPennine class 170s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blytheski

Does anybody know of the TransPennine Express Class 170s have been fully replaced yet? If so were has the replacement stock come from.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Does anybody know of the TransPennine Express Class 170s have been fully replaced yet? If so were has the replacement stock come from.

They are not. Didn't you know there is a new franchise in place now with TransPennine services in the North West being rehashed and swapped with Northern from the May Timetable. There are several threads on the Forum already going into details about this.

ANDYS

Blytheski,

as far as I know they are still being used. However, one (170303) was stabled in Sheffield station all day last Monday (4th) so I wonder if the new franchisee has rejigged the diagrams so they do not need to use them all the time.

rebmcr

Established Member
Blytheski,

as far as I know they are still being used. However, one (170303) was stabled in Sheffield station all day last Monday (4th) so I wonder if the new franchisee has rejigged the diagrams so they do not need to use them all the time.

There is no new franchisee, the incumbent won this one.

Helvellyn

Established Member
There is no new franchisee, the incumbent won this one.
Even if the incumbent owning group retains the franchise, it is still a new franchise agreeemnt. The legal name of the franchise also changes. Hence why in 2007 when Stagecoach retained the South West Trains franchise the legal entity changed from South West Trains Ltd to Stagecoach South Western Trains. If Stagecoach retain the franchise again, then the legal entity running the trains will be Stagecoach South West Ltd. I know this because I still have the letter telling me that I had transferred over to the new company although my uniform, pay number, etc, stayed the same.

180zephyr

replacement stock is 6 156s from northern on the manchester-blackpool/barrow route, freeing 185s to do the hull/clethorpes route

ANDYS

180zephyr

Are the 156's still being loaned out to TPE (as they were before 1st April) or do Arriva Rail Northern now have the franchise for the Man - Blackpool services and therefore run the 156's under their own name?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
180zephyr

Are the 156's still being loaned out to TPE (as they were before 1st April) or do Arriva Rail Northern now have the franchise for the Man - Blackpool services and therefore run the 156's under their own name?

The Manchester Airport to Blackpool is now a Northern service as are the Airport to Barrow and Windermere. Peculiarly, TPE now loans a handful of 185s (and crews, presumably) to Northern for these services. This will only really settle down when the new stock for Northern arrives and the Manchester to Blackpool wires are finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.