• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine conductor - had final interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tablestop

Applied for conductor with transpennine back in April and have attended and passed 2 exam days since then went for the manager interview in November but haven't heard anything since.

Contacted hr in early January and they said they still haven't heard back from manager.

Was just wondering if this time frame is normal? Any help would be great!

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tablestop

Was that just November passed? I had applied April then first round of exams was in Leeds in June then the 2nd round in York in August. Seems it depends on station :'(

Alight_here

Was that just November passed? I had applied April then first round of exams was in Leeds in June then the 2nd round in York in August. Seems it depends on station :'(

From speaking with others, it seems there is no trend regarding the recruitment process. Obviously it will depend on the demand at the specific station. All you can really do is wait, or drop the recruitment team another email. Best of luck!

RHolmes

If you don’t mind me asking, what sort of questions were you asked as part of the final interview?

Tablestop

If you don’t mind me asking, what sort of questions were you asked as part of the final interview?

The questions asked were a bit simplier than I had expected. I had prepped for the interview with information about the company, train terminology, timetables and Info about the role but all they asked were similar questions that was asked by the opc interviewer after the role play assessment.

RHolmes

The questions asked were a bit simplier than I had expected. I had prepped for the interview with information about the company, train terminology, timetables and Info about the role but all they asked were similar questions that was asked by the opc interviewer after the role play assessment.

So overall did you find the TPE CMI as a less intense version of the MMI?

Tablestop

Yea i felt it was the easiest part of the assessments tbh. Still waiting to hear back 3 months later though lol but definitely the part that I felt was the less stressful.

ToonSupa123

Hi, all I have an interview coming up with a TPE line manager for the Conductor role. Could anyone offer any advice/tips. Generally feel quite comfortable with interviews, more so having recently completed the MMI at the assessment day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

RHolmes

You’ll mainly be asked questions where you’re required to give examples of previous situations you have been in that relate to your job role such as “How have you had to deal with someone disruptive/agitated?”, “Why did you apply to become a conductor?” “What qualities and skills do you bring for the role?” and logistics such as
“How are you planning to travel to work for 4am shift starts/finishes?” “How will you cope with shift work” etc

One of the things they’re looking for at this stage is personality and experience. My OBSM interviewers were both very friendly and I remember using a bit of mild-humour to some of my answers (the inner scouser coming out), like for the shift work question I remember adding to the end of it “Sometimes it’s just nicer to do your Christmas shopping at 7am on a Tuesday than it is fighting your way through the Trafford Centre on a Saturday afternoon” which then lead to one of the OBSM’s telling a story of his experience doing just that

I’d also think of questions that you want to ask at the end.

A few bits that I asked about:
- Job security and progression
- How the shift ‘links” work
- What happens during disruption?
- Likelihood of the franchise being taken under Goverment control (ie. Northern)

If you’ve got this far, you should have absolutely nothing to worry about!

GeordieO

You’ll mainly be asked questions where you’re required to give examples of previous situations you have been in that relate to your job role such as “How have you had to deal with someone disruptive/agitated?”, “Why did you apply to become a conductor?” “What qualities and skills do you bring for the role?” and logistics such as
“How are you planning to travel to work for 4am shift starts/finishes?” “How will you cope with shift work” etc

One of the things they’re looking for at this stage is personality and experience. My OBSM interviewers were both very friendly and I remember using a bit of mild-humour to some of my answers (the inner scouser coming out), like for the shift work question I remember adding to the end of it “Sometimes it’s just nicer to do your Christmas shopping at 7am on a Tuesday than it is fighting your way through the Trafford Centre on a Saturday afternoon” which then lead to one of the OBSM’s telling a story of his experience doing just that

- Likelihood of the franchise being taken under Goverment control (ie. Northern)

That's interesting to know - were/are you working for TPE? If so, do you have an example roster for a conductor, as I am in the same boat as ToonSupa and waiting for an interview. Thanks!

RHolmes

That's interesting to know - were/are you working for TPE? If so, do you have an example roster for a conductor, as I am in the same boat as ToonSupa and waiting for an interview. Thanks!
I’ll message you

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

DO NOT ask about the the OLR taking over !!!!!! You might as well go in urinate on the desk and punch the manager in the face!

Thats like telling them your only applying for the guards job to go driving in 18 months.

RHolmes

DO NOT ask about the the OLR taking over !

I really don’t see the point you’re trying to make here. I DID mention it as Transpennine were also being highly criticised at the same time as Northern for poor performance by powerful political individuals such as Steve Rotherham. The OBSM’s openly talked about the issues their currently facing as a business and why it was vitally important to improve the public’s perception of the brand. The two interviewers even joked prior to me asking the question about the the on-going situation with Northern and the mistakes made with the franchise. If anything it showed the opposite and reinstated that I was looking for job security, and was up to date with political factors currently affecting the brand and business.

Regardless I got the job.

SuperNova

DO NOT ask about the the OLR taking over !!!!!! You might as well go in urinate on the desk and punch the manager in the face!

Thats like telling them your only applying for the guards job to go driving in 18 months.

It is a valid question - most of us who work for a TOC know that, even in management roles. The whole us and them attitude the resides among some people who work on the railway and on this forum just isn't how it is largely.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
We all know whether it be a normal change of operator at the end of a franchise or OLR 99% of staff will transfer over without even noticing.

You do have managers who are diehard supporters of the owning group, they’ll take a dim view on a candidate even mentioning anything negative, let alone OLR taking over maybe...

Best just ask normal questions like progression within the grade, guard to instructor guard or guards manager even. Than politically sensitive questions.

But if the chap wants to ask it then, hey ho it’s up to him at the end of the day - my take is you only get one chance to make that vital positive impression why risk it with a potentially sensitive question.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
It is a valid question - most of us who work for a TOC know that, even in management roles. The whole us and them attitude the resides among some people who work on the railway and on this forum just isn't how it is largely.

The us and them is unfortunately gained from scares of fast approaching two decades of front line shape end operationak railway roles, in all my time and jobs I’ve only met two managers who I could describe as really good. One of whom my grade balloted for strike action when he was form 1’d by a very nasty character of a senior manager, there was also a racial element to this as well made us all sick.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I really don’t see the point you’re trying to make here. I DID mention it as Transpennine were also being highly criticised at the same time as Northern for poor performance by powerful political individuals such as Steve Rotherham. The OBSM’s openly talked about the issues their currently facing as a business and why it was vitally important to improve the public’s perception of the brand. The two interviewers even joked prior to me asking the question about the the on-going situation with Northern and the mistakes made with the franchise. If anything it showed the opposite and reinstated that I was looking for job security, and was up to date with political factors currently affecting the brand and business.

Your not there to change the world or be up on the political stance towards Northern or TPE etc that week, your there to gain employment to support you and your family.
What goes on above your grade really isn’t anything you should concern yourself with, do your job to the best of your ability that’s the best way to make a difference.

Show pride in your work, believe me the company will string you up the minute you balls up no matter how good an employee you think you are.

Operators come and go, hopefully you’ll stay - you really are just a number to them.

Sad and really depressing when you love the industry and want it to grow and succeed, but it’s factual.

donpoku

Your not there to change the world or be up on the political stance towards Northern or TPE etc that week, your there to gain employment to support you and your family.
What goes on above your grade really isn’t anything you should concern yourself with, do your job to the best of your ability that’s the best way to make a difference.

Show pride in your work, believe me the company will string you up the minute you balls up no matter how good an employee you think you are.

Operators come and go, hopefully you’ll stay - you really are just a number to them.

Sad and really depressing when you love the industry and want it to grow and succeed, but it’s factual.

Intro to Railway 101:

Lesson 1: Us vs Them.

You'll make a great professor.

GeordieO

Forgive me, but surely it is acceptable to want to know what goes on above your grade, if it has the possibility of affecting your employment?

Especially applying for a job and having an interview with TPE at this particular time with covid-19. I for one am uncertain about what the future holds and have to weigh up do I stay in my current secure employment or move jobs should I be successful.

Will TPE be a secure company after the economic impacts covid-19? And the social impacts - will there be a need for new staff or could they retain the reduced train timetables even after lockdown is lifted, if demand remains low? Does anyone who has more experience of the rail industry than me know if this is a possibility?

TeaTrain

I recently went for a TPE Driver interview and while it is a different grade I also discussed about the business, where it will likely be close to the end of the franchise, the poor performance issues and why that happened etc. It was a two way conversation and they appreciated I actually wanted to know more.

I specifically asked Where do you think TPE will be in the future and where it will sit within the railway? They were impressed. Not dismayed or taken aback.

I also got offered the job and started via conference learning etc. I think you can definitely ask those questions providing you articulate them in the correct manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.