• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Express - the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CICERO55

Having travelled on this operator since it was RRNE, Northern Spirit etc, if it is nationalised, would you rather see it kept as one company or transfer saw manchester/liverpool to scotland back to the west coast Intercity operator like it was in the past? Or something more radical?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CICERO55

I cannot see that especially with the current setup, wish i was wrong. But the culture/management of the company needs to change, its not too late. I would rather not have Firstgroup running it but it is for now

Bevan Price

Established Member
I would prefer to see it combined with Northern - and new management for both of them....

Amalgamate the Franchise with the Cross Country Franchise and run as a proper UK-wide service to connect with the various Inter City Franchises (WCML, ECML, MML, GWR).

When you look at the maps of the areas served by both Trans Pennine and Cross Country its ridiculous that they are two seperate entities. There’s a big gap in the Cross Country map that Trans Penine would sit nicely into!

4810D78A-DC0B-4664-A55D-AB5A2B30E045.jpeg B419B79E-7A07-4109-851F-D80D2987F76D.png

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Amalgamate the Franchise with the Cross Country Franchise and run as a proper UK-wide service to connect with the various Inter City Franchises (WCML, ECML, MML, GWR).

When you look at the maps of the areas served by both Trans Pennine and Cross Country its ridiculous that they are two seperate entities. There’s a big gap in the Cross Country map that Trans Penine would sit nicely into!

View attachment 73122 View attachment 73123

Perhaps it might be worth slimming down the Manc-Leeds sections to 4 TPH and move the Picc-Hull and Picc-Huddersfield to northern. Also shifting the old central trains services off XC and having the franchises emerge as a purely intercity service, rather than the hybrid of routes that XC and TPE seem to have at present. If Liv-Nottingham moves in to the fold, perhaps that could be extended to Leicester or Stansted?

Meerkat

Established Member
What would be the point of amalgamating TPE and XC?
XC is the cross country operator centred on Birmingham, TPE is the cross country operator centred on Manchester - seems perfectly logical to keep them apart to focus on their own areas.
Once TPE has sorted its new trains out it I think it should get Liverpool-Nottingham and some more of the non-local Northern services. Upgrade York-Blackpool to TPE and any of the Northern Connect services that suit/deserve TPE type stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.