• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TransPennine Express to Saltburn from May 2022 confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

HST43257

Established Member

TransPennine Express confirm extension of rail service to Saltburn​

THE TransPennine Express has confirmed that it will extend its Manchester rail service to Saltburn in May.

The train operator has announced that from spring next year, its service from Manchester Airport which currently runs through Middlesbrough and terminates at Redcar will now end at Saltburn.

TransPennine Express has given the go ahead to provide the hourly service, which will also give direct access from Saltburn to York, Leeds and Manchester, opening up a route for local people who currently have to change at Redcar.

Tees Valley Mayor Ben Houchen said: “I’m delighted that TransPennine has committed to this change, giving local people the rail network they deserve and opening up direct travel to York, Leeds and Manchester. We’ve been working on this for more than two years, so to see this hard work pay off and to deliver this service not just for the people of Redcar but now the people of Saltburn and East Cleveland is fantastic.

A news story taken from today - TPE will get to Saltburn in May 2022.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I must admit I was amused to see the MP for Redcar trying to grab some publicity for a service which is going to the neighbouring constituency.

Darandio

Established Member
I must admit I was amused to see the MP for Redcar trying to grab some publicity for a service which is going to the neighbouring constituency.

Anything for a photo opportunity. Still got a long way to go before matching how many times Houchen gets his mug out there but he's trying.

SuperNova

Anything for a photo opportunity. Still got a long way to go before matching how many times Houchen gets his mug out there but he's trying.
Mr Photo Op announcing it before the operator can. Typical. It still may not happen by May 22.

Coolzac

Are TPE going to run non stop between Redcar Central and Saltburn?
I would imagine so, but we'll see! I would personally love it to stop at Marske or Redcar East as I have a friend who lives near, but the fact the extension is happening at all is great!

Will Saltburn Station need any improvements for this?

317 forever

Established Member
Won’t Northern still be operating about 2 tph as well? I don’t think the new TPE automatically means a change of station operator.
Oh yes, if Northern is still more frequent it makes sense to keep Saltburn with Northern. I even forgot they serve Saltburn twice per hour as the service was only hourly (due to Covid reductions) when I last used the service last September.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I would imagine so, but we'll see! I would personally love it to stop at Marske or Redcar East as I have a friend who lives near, but the fact the extension is happening at all is great!

It will be non-stop.

Saltburn will see the addition of a messroom, but no additional passenger facing facilities AFAIK.

Driver068

I believe TPE operate 2x 185s on this route currently so it would not fit on the platform at RCE

Darandio

Established Member
I believe TPE operate 2x 185s on this route currently so it would not fit on the platform at RCE

Doesn't currently fit at Redcar Central either. Platform lengths wouldn't be a barrier because they could lock one out but there is zero chance of anything other than this service running non-stop between Redcar and Saltburn.

Driver068

Doesn't currently fit at Redcar Central either. Platform lengths wouldn't be a barrier because they could lock one out but there is zero chance of anything other than this service running non-stop between Redcar and Saltburn.
Good to know, cheers

Coolzac

I think that's fair enough to be honest. I used to live in Marske and I would have loved the half hourly service plus the long distance service TPE service from Saltburn/Redcar Central!

I think the service improvements are great, and will help improve the area no end. Its a rare case of somewhere provincial getting a service they deserve! Well done to all those that have made it happen.

Get ready for the noise complaints then if they decide to run 68's as originally planned

Darandio

Established Member
Get ready for the noise complaints then if they decide to run 68's as originally planned

Noise complaints are already something they are very familiar with over here, there's been uproar with the stabling of Class 185's in the loop at Redcar ever since the service was introduced. Obviously the 68's are something else entirely so the issue is just being kicked further down the line.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

High Viz Houchen will be annoyed he missed out!

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
That appears not now to be the plan.

The current word is that from May 2022 there will be 4 Class 68 diagrams on the Scarborough route and 2 on the Manchester - Cleethorpes service. There will be no overnight stabling of 68s at Scarborough - the overnight diagrams there will be 185s.

Driver training has already commenced in preparation for the South route services to get the 68s.

From December 2022 word is there will be 6 Class 68 diagrams on the Cleethorpes - Liverpool service and 4 on Scarborough services. Overnight servicing to be done at Longsight or Crofton.

Redcar / Saltburn services will remain as 6 car 185s.

Class 170101

Established Member
That appears not now to be the plan.

The current word is that from May 2022 there will be 4 Class 68 diagrams on the Scarborough route and 2 on the Manchester - Cleethorpes service. There will be no overnight stabling of 68s at Scarborough - the overnight diagrams there will be 185s.

Driver training has already commenced in preparation for the South route services to get the 68s.

From December 2022 word is there will be 6 Class 68 diagrams on the Cleethorpes - Liverpool service and 4 on Scarborough services. Overnight servicing to be done at Longsight or Crofton.

Redcar / Saltburn services will remain as 6 car 185s.
So all that spending on the servicing point at Scarborough is to be wasted?

pennine

I see there from the Saltburn Line Users Group that the majority of the extensions to Saltburn will be pushed back to December with the exception of an early and late service (Resources permitting).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220204-160147_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220204-160147_Chrome.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 143

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I see there from the Saltburn Line Users Group that the majority of the extensions to Saltburn will be pushed back to December with the exception of an early and late service (Resources permitting).
Aha! I had spotted (or someone pointed out to me to be fair) that services had appeared in RTT from the May timetable change but at the extremes of the day. RTT is actually showing three departures (0554, 2008 and 2310) and two arrivals (1955 and 2257). The morning service being formed off an ECS arrival. Those intending to the do the first service TPE train from Saltburn will have a very very early start! :lol:

Sensible if various other things are running behind. All the schedules altered showing no loco hauled timing loads to that area any more either. Most of the trains on the Scarborough (with most hours reverting to Liverpool) are though, albeit plenty of time for that to change, especially as Cleethorpes diagrams all still showing units at this stage. Easy enough to change though.

CAF397

Sensible if various other things are running behind. All the schedules altered showing no loco hauled timing loads to that area any more either. Most of the trains on the Scarborough (with most hours reverting to Liverpool) are though, albeit plenty of time for that to change, especially as Cleethorpes diagrams all still showing units at this stage. Easy enough to change though.
Early days, but this shows a Mk 5 set departing Longsight to Manchester Airport as 5B64. As we know, Bravo headcode are used on the South route, so could this be for one loco hauled diagram on the South route?

Also, daytime servicing seems to be on the cards at Scarborough depot. Seems commonsense.

Class 170101

Established Member
Also, daytime servicing seems to be on the cards at Scarborough depot. Seems commonsense.

Seems tight on timings unless thats F1 pit stop style servicing.

Status
Not open for further replies.