• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
Weather?

The Manchester - Cleethorpes service is isolated because of the Whatley Bridge Damn risk. Not sure why the north is doing so badly but lots of storms recently have caused issues.

syorksdeano

Not sure.

Many people waiting for the 939 (which many from Sheffield didn't even know was cancelled) from Doncaster yesterday to Cleethorpes that eventually got cancelled after 40 minutes, a quick look on realtimes shows no train was ever sent from the depot. Announcements claimed lack of train crew, flooding and lack of rolling stock.

On the way back was fine apart from whoever decided to put the train onto platform 0 with a full train, and no space for passengers travelling back to Cleethorpes...

gazzaa2

Punctuality might be hit and miss but their rolling stock/numbers of carriages is laughably inadequate on busy routes at the best of times.

PennineSuperb

A few reasons.
The major being the flood risk in the Whaley Bridge area.
Another high contributing factor is that TPE have failed to come to a satisfactory deal with Conductors in regards to productivity talks, the key point that the company want Sundays inside the working week. This resulted in the currently (reasonable) rest day working agreement being withdrawn and returning to the agreement as per the Conductors standard T&C's, which was a substantial drop in pay per day. Thus many Conductors are now refusing to work overtime that they once did. A ballot has been sent by the RMT for action short of strike.

js1000

Acton Grange shutdown has caused more congestion through Manchester over the past couple of weeks which has affected TPE. Virgin Trains to/from Euston got priority through Manchester whereas TPE didn't. Northern's punctuality has taken a bit of a hit too.

andyj158

Their performance is very rarely any good, particularly on the North Transpennie routes in my experience. Although credit where credit is due, my one this morning actually turned up 1 minutes early. There must have been a blue moon last night.

tpjm

1. Hot weather and massive speed restrictions
2. Very wet weather which resulted in flooding towards Manchester Airport
3. Lightning strike at Leeds taking out the signals to Dewsbury
4. Acton Grange causing congestion in Manchester
5. Closure of the South Route due to Whaley Bridge causing addition pax to travel via Leeds
6. Stepping up of HUD - MAN stopping service to run to SHF which has caused some crew difficulties
7. Cracked rail at Morley today

I could go on...

northernchris

Established Member
It's quite normal for TPE services to be a few minutes late though which can easily escalate in to bigger delays at congestion hotspots. Last weekend was particularly poor for cancellations due to traincrew shortages, there were 3 Manchester bound services in a row cancelled from Leeds at one point

modernrail

Does anybody know how Scarborough - York is behaving now? I need to travel Filey to London next week and will have a tight connection in York.

PennineSuperb

Does anybody know how Scarborough - York is behaving now? I need to travel Filey to London next week and will have a tight connection in York.
If you are planning on getting the 0740 from Seamer and changing at York, don't !
There seems to be a clash and a pathing issue with this train and 1E02 at York and it sits outside York for 5 non-timetabled minutes till 1E02 clears the fouling point.

daikilo

Established Member
If you are planning on getting the 0740 from Seamer and changing at York, don't !
There seems to be a clash and a pathing issue with this train and 1E02 at York and it sits outside York for 5 non-timetabled minutes till 1E02 clears the fouling point.
Not today, both on time. I can only guess that 1E02 has been occasionally pathed into platform 3 rather than 5 causing conflict (1F56 is on 4).

daikilo

Established Member
Yes I believe that it only happens Monday - Friday.
Just checked today and indeed 1E02 is pathed into 3 and 1F56 into 5 so big risk of delay if 1F56 not on time. Also 1A60 GC pathed into 3 just 4 minutes earlier than 1F56 due. Not ideal!

Status
Not open for further replies.