• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Heyrod is in fact a Feeder Station (or, more pedantically, an ATFS) in its own right. The G.E.L. is just a very, very, very long cable linking it to the OLE at Man Vic.
Once the OLE reaches Stalybridge, the G.E.L. between Staly and Man Vic can probably be removed.
Would there not be a case for leaving it (the "extension lead") in situ for resilience? Obviously if it's in the way it will need moving, but in that case it would be a rather silly design that obstructs the electrification (which was always going to happen sooner or later, given the importance of the route).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
Would there not be a case for leaving it (the "extension lead") in situ for resilience? Obviously if it's in the way it will need moving, but in that case it would be a rather silly design that obstructs the electrification (which was always going to happen sooner or later, given the importance of the route).
My understanding, based on my recollection of posts by Joseph_Locke several years ago, is that there was always going to be an extension lead, even when Manchester to Stalybridge was due to be electrified much earlier, and that the lead will remain when Manchester to Stalybridge and beyond is completed in the future.

I thought it continued beyond Victoria to Ordsall Lane (MPATS??), though if so I don't remember noting actually where it's routed.

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
My understanding, based on my recollection of posts by Joseph_Locke several years ago, is that there was always going to be an extension lead, even when Manchester to Stalybridge was due to be electrified much earlier, and that the lead will remain when Manchester to Stalybridge and beyond is completed in the future.

I thought it continued beyond Victoria to Ordsall Lane (MPATS??), though if so I don't remember noting actually where it's routed.
Exactly my understanding and memory too. I will try and find posts/reference/link and post.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

Thanks. To be honest I'd forgotten that Stalybridge was originally planned to get wires a decade or so ago under the Adonis plans!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Thanks. To be honest I'd forgotten that Stalybridge was originally planned to get wires a decade or so ago under the Adonis plans!
Well, it was the 2011 (Coalition) autumn statement (and then the 2012 HLOS) which gave the original go-ahead to TP electrification.
Victoria-Stalybridge was then added to the Balfour Beatty NW project as Phase 5, and some bridge work was done around Ashton.
However Phase 5 was then cut back to Brownlow St (just east of Victoria), and the rest was "paused" in 2015 along with much else.
The excuse at the time was that the wiring scheme did not allow for any track or other route upgrades.
There were also project delivery issues on the rest of the NW scheme (Manchester-Preston-Blackpool).

Geeves

Established Member
There's a feeder station at Ordsall Lane too I think so Bolton would still be okay. Plus the feed through from Piccadilly and the WCML

snowball

Established Member
There's a feeder station at Ordsall Lane too I think so Bolton would still be okay. Plus the feed through from Piccadilly and the WCML
I think the site at Ordsall Lane is an autotransfomer station but does not have its own feed from the grid except via the extension lead from Heyrod. It is the destination of the extension lead.

I don't think the extension lead would have been put in if enough juice could have been guaranteed without it.

SansHache

The supply for the feeder at Ordsall Lane comes down the extension lead from Heyrod. As others have stated above the extension lead was always part of the original Stalybridge electrification scheme, provided as a means of maintaining the feed to Ordsall Lane when the OLE between Stalybridge and Victoria is isolated for maintenance. Ordsall Lane can also be fed from Willow Park (Parkside) but with power supply limitations on the Bolton line.

Geeves

Established Member
Thanks guys, I didn't know that. I'm glad they aren't going to just be ripping out all their previous hard work. It wasn't as easy job to get it there from my own mark1 eyeball observations.

Elecman

Established Member
Exactly my understanding and memory too. I will try and find posts/reference/link and post.

Ordsall Lane is fed via the GEL from Heyrod and is NOT a Feeder station

The supply for the feeder at Ordsall Lane comes down the extension lead from Heyrod. As others have stated above the extension lead was always part of the original Stalybridge electrification scheme, provided as a means of maintaining the feed to Ordsall Lane when the OLE between Stalybridge and Victoria is isolated for maintenance. Ordsall Lane can also be fed from Willow Park (Parkside) but with power supply limitations on the Bolton line.
Corrrect

I think the site at Ordsall Lane is an autotransfomer station but does not have its own feed from the grid except via the extension lead from Heyrod. It is the destination of the extension lead.

I don't think the extension lead would have been put in if enough juice could have been guaranteed without it.
Correct

Revaulx

Heyrod is in fact a Feeder Station (or, more pedantically, an ATFS) in its own right. The G.E.L. is just a very, very, very long cable linking it to the OLE at Man Vic.
Once the OLE reaches Stalybridge, the G.E.L. between Staly and Man Vic can probably be removed.
Ah - that makes sense!

Edit: apparently not, from the further replies I’ve just read.

I can’t help thinking a lot of the casing is going to need replacement in two or three years as it’s starting to look extremely bedraggled.

snowball

Established Member
From the "newish" TRU website (first discussed in this thread several months ago)

Saturday 6 & Sunday 7 August and​

Saturday 13 & Sunday 14 August 2022​

Services via Huddersfield​

Over these two weekends between Huddersfield and Deighton we will be replacing a bridge and carrying out significant work on another, together with carrying out other improvement work in and around Huddersfield Station.

It doesn't identify the bridges concerned.

Obviously this work will have been planned before the approval of the T&W Order, but is presumably compatible with it.

Incidentally, what a good job the Order was approved before the recent Cabinet chaos, otherwise it could easily have been another 6 or 9 months.

InOban

Established Member
I'm sure I read somewhere that NR weren't actually expecting the Order for another six months!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It doesn't identify the bridges concerned.
Assuming the bridges in question are rail over road bridges, there's only a few possibilities between Huddersfield and Deighton: the bridge over John William Street right at the station throat; any of the spans of the viaduct immediately beyond the aforementioned bridge; the bridge near the Household Waste centre which is more akin to a road tunnel through an embankment; and the bridges at Red Doles Lane.

John William Street and the viaduct look like much bigger jobs than the relatively short blockades would allow. The one near the incinerator is probably the same due to the embankment above- and probably doesn't need any modifications anyway. Unless I've missed a bridge (there's every chance I have) that just leaves Red Doles. I've a vague memory that the bridges currently in use were only rebuilt quite recently (in the last 20 years or so), so could this be the installation of new decks to carry additional tracks? Or as the location is close to the Hillhouse temporary station site, it could be in preparation for that.

snowball

Established Member
Google Streetview shows the bridge over Red Doles Road as comprising new decks for what are presumably two tracks, then a gap, then an ancient deck for one track, so may be replacing the old deck and/or the gap with new deck(s).

Edit: the satellite view is more recent than the stretview and shows the old deck already gone. So just putting in new decks for the future fast lines, it would seem.

Must have been a gamble on the order not being thrown out.

Last edited:

CAF397

Not seen this mentioned. First catenary and contact wires up between Church Fenton and Colton South Jn.

Down Leeds from the start of the portals at Church Fenton to just past Ulleskelf Station.

Down Normanton from the start of the portals at Church Fenton to half way towards Ulleskelf Station.

Both Down Leeds and Down Normanton also have a wired connection to the existing OLE at Colton South Jn, of a few structures worth.

Nothing on the Up Leeds or Up Normanton yet.
An update on visible works, not seen mentioned on this thread.

From Church Fenton northwards all 4 lines now have contact and catenary wires until just shy of Ulleskelf, where just the Down Leeds and Up Normanton (the two outer tracks) have catenary and contact wires until just before the bridge at Bolton Percy.

From Bolton Percy to just shy of Colton South Jn several masts still have missing registration arms and other 'dangly' equipment.

Looks like the Dn Leeds has been wired for two full tension lengths at the south end, and the Dn Normanton for one full tension length.

I've seen that the catenaries for the three crossover wire runs at Colton South Ladder have been run - last I saw, the contact hadn't been run and droppers were sporadically fitted.
Did the DL/DN interfaces with the existing OLE finish just shy of the two very tall masts?
If they did, that might be part of the new Carrier Wire Neutral Section installed over the Leeds/Normanton lines.
In reply to this, Colton South ladder still has catenary wire only, however from the Down Leeds there is full catenary and contact wire upto (I think) 2 masts before the start of the existing ECML wires.

snowball

Established Member
There's just been a brief mention of wiring at Church Fenton on BBC Look North (Yorkshire). It's not clear why they chose today, given that the first contact wire between there and Colton went up some weeks ago. I suppose it could be an indication that there will be a longer item in the early evening edition, but that's just a guess.

They said that the next section along is not funded yet. They also claimed it's the first electrification in Yorkshire for 35 years, which is too long ago for Doncaster-Edinburgh, let alone Leeds/Bradford FS/Ilkley/Skipton.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
They also claimed it's the first electrification in Yorkshire for 35 years, which is too long ago for Doncaster-Edinburgh, let alone Leeds/Bradford FS/Ilkley/Skipton.
I thought Doncaster to Leeds and York was in the 1987/88 timeframe so add 35 years brings us to 2022/2023 ish. Sounds not too far off the mark to me.

matacaster

On Moderation
Assuming the bridges in question are rail over road bridges, there's only a few possibilities between Huddersfield and Deighton: the bridge over John William Street right at the station throat; any of the spans of the viaduct immediately beyond the aforementioned bridge; the bridge near the Household Waste centre which is more akin to a road tunnel through an embankment; and the bridges at Red Doles Lane.

John William Street and the viaduct look like much bigger jobs than the relatively short blockades would allow. The one near the incinerator is probably the same due to the embankment above- and probably doesn't need any modifications anyway. Unless I've missed a bridge (there's every chance I have) that just leaves Red Doles. I've a vague memory that the bridges currently in use were only rebuilt quite recently (in the last 20 years or so), so could this be the installation of new decks to carry additional tracks? Or as the location is close to the Hillhouse temporary station site, it could be in preparation for that.
I am sure you are correct re John William Street and viaduct. Presume that they will be done when hillhouse is temporary terminus and hudds station is completely closed for a lengthy period.

snowball

Established Member
There's just been a brief mention of wiring at Church Fenton on BBC Look North (Yorkshire). It's not clear why they chose today, given that the first contact wire between there and Colton went up some weeks ago. I suppose it could be an indication that there will be a longer item in the early evening edition, but that's just a guess.
Last time there was a rail-related non-strike-related item on Look North, it coincided with a Network Rail press release about Hudds-Westtown. And now another NR press release has appeared:

The first miles of new electric overhead wires on a mainline in Yorkshire for over 25 years are now up, marking a step-change in progress for the multi-billion-pound Transpennine Route Upgrade.

This monumental scheme – initially working its way from York to Church Fenton – is set to re-energise train travel for passengers across the north of England. It’s the first step towards a cleaner, greener, fully electrified railway between York, Leeds, Huddersfield and Manchester.

When complete, across the full 76-mile route, rail passengers will be helping to save up to 87,000 tonnes of carbon emissions each year – equivalent to 5.9 million car journeys along the same route. For people living near the railway, it will also mean better air quality and quieter trains.

It’s the first of ten miles of electric wiring set to be installed between Church Fenton and Colton Junction – where trains from Leeds join the East Coast Main Line towards York – by the end of the year. It’s one of the busiest stretches of railway in the north, with over 100 trains passing through each day.

The press release includes a video.

The press release says over 25 years since the last electrification in Yorkshire. Look North definitely said 35. I've listened again on the web.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Last time there was a rail-related non-strike-related item on Look North, it coincided with a Network Rail press release about Hudds-Westtown. And now another NR press release has appeared:

The press release says over 25 years since the last electrification in Yorkshire. Look North definitely said 35. I've listened again on the web.
The first stretch of wire is up... But it won't be slashing any journey times until the bimodes that do exist are used to their full potential! TPE 802s still run in diesel mode between York and Colton Jn. I shudder to think how many tens if not thousands of tonnes of fuel have been unnecessarily burnt.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Well the initial decarbonisation is from just 2tph (TPE 802) on electric rather than diesel for 10 more miles York-Church Fenton.
Maybe 4tph if TPE optimise the 802 diagrams.
It will be a long while (5 years+?) before other services begin to be converted, after wires reach Leeds and Manchester.
Some bi-modes for Northern or XC would help.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Well the initial decarbonisation is from just 2tph (TPE 802) on electric rather than diesel for 10 more miles York-Church Fenton.
Maybe 4tph if TPE optimise the 802 diagrams.
It will be a long while (5 years+?) before other services begin to be converted, after wires reach Leeds and Manchester.
Some bi-modes for Northern or XC would help.
It's very much looking like it won't even be 2tph :s

I doubt that it would be feasible to reallocate the 802s in such a way as to run 4tph with them.

nr758123

The piece on the early evening Look North (Yorkshire) correctly pointed out that it's taken 11 years since it was first announced to electrify a very small part of TRU. That's something that Network Rail neglected to mention in their press release.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member

Not sure five miles down to Church Fenton really justifies the use of the word "monumental" in the press release. Also its taken 2.5 years to get this far they need to up there game. Weaver Jc-Motherwell 186miles authorised March 70 services running May 74 although i would accept the safety of the staff doing the installation work is massively better now but so is the plant they have.

Also as usual with NR media releases now on this programme no mention of EIS.