• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

YorksLad12

Established Member
I would assume any future Cross Country trains replacing the Voyagers will be bimode to end the scandal of diesels under the wires York to Glasgow. Once the wires reach Leeds then one will surely see LNER making use of the wires too for their services and any diversions. It's a bit chicken and egg. If you don't wire then there's no incentive for the train operator to invest in electric trains.
I don't think there would be enough paths north of Leeds, even with the acceleration benefits electrification brings. But a London-Doncaster-Leeds-York(-Newcastle) service might have merits, depending on the stopping patterns.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Halish Railway

Established Member
I don't think there would be enough paths north of Leeds, even with the acceleration benefits electrification brings. But a London-Doncaster-Leeds-York(-Newcastle) service might have merits, depending on the stopping patterns.
The same merits that the Euston-Birmingham-Scotland services had, although that and presumably this service would require that such a service would take over the path of another service. I think the target was to have a roughly 20 minute travel time from Leeds to York, adding that to the current Doncaster to Leeds travel time and a 5 minute dwell at Leeds would give you a 55 minute York to Doncaster journey time, still roughly 30 minutes longer than the direct route.

adamedwards

I was thinking more of the first couple of trains each day, one of which goes direct Leeds to York, plus engineering works diversions. I should have made that clear.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I was thinking more of the first couple of trains each day, one of which goes direct Leeds to York, plus engineering works diversions. I should have made that clear.
That's a very limited benefit though. Although given that Leeds-Micklefield is in the pipeline, with York-Selby being already under a reasonable amount of wires you could make a case for Mickelfield-Leeds, plus the Hambleton curves and Sherburn chord, which would give you the Leeds-Scotland services.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder this is an infrastructure updates thread to discuss what is actually happening regarding the Transpennine Route Upgrade.

To discuss what might happen, please create a new thread, or use an existing one if there is one.

M60lad

Seems engineers took advantage of the rail strike yesterday as when I was on my way to work yesterday I noticed a new mast going up on the Bridge across Oldham Road at Miles Platting

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
What I don't understand is why, having completed the section apart from 'tying in', which seems to be a minor job, they're not planning to do this and switch on the juice until sometime in 2024.

sequencing of the work, it needs another big Christmas block next year too.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
sequencing of the work, it needs another big Christmas block next year too.
It never took BR this long to tie in new electrification to existing electrified lines and many were done over normal weekend possessions. Granted Colton Jcn isn't as simple but really ought to have delivered it one blockade. Anyhow thats todays railway for you but getting the Leeds side done is pretty straightforward and should have been energised to get some reduced diesel running for TPE but looks like nothing will be taking power this end for another 18mths. In the same construction time BR had got the wires upto Peterborough from Hitchin and had a service running to Huntingdon in 18mths from first mast installation. The team delivering the wiring on this stretch have delivered to a high volume and show what can be achieved but there is little point talking about the urgency of decarbonisation if the industry isn't going to use what it has installed quickly.

It never took BR this long to tie in new electrification to existing electrified lines and many were done over normal weekend possessions. Granted Colton Jcn isn't as simple but really ought to have delivered it one blockade. Anyhow thats todays railway for you but getting the Leeds side done is pretty straightforward and should have been energised to get some reduced diesel running for TPE but looks like nothing will be taking power this end for another 18mths. In the same construction time BR had got the wires upto Peterborough from Hitchin and had a service running to Huntingdon in 18mths from first mast installation. The team delivering the wiring on this stretch have delivered to a high volume and show what can be achieved but there is little point talking about the urgency of decarbonisation if the industry isn't going to use what it has installed quickly.
Coming through York the other Day there seemed to be sizeable amounts of new S&C presumably scheduled to go in over Christnas. Would seem sensible to extend the possession to cover Colton and tie in the new wires then too.and put the power on then too.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Coming through York the other Day there seemed to be sizeable amounts of new S&C presumably scheduled to go in over Christnas. Would seem sensible to extend the possession to cover Colton and tie in the new wires then too.and put the power on then too.

it doesn’t make sense at all, unfortunately. If you did that, there’d be no service London - Scotland on the ECML between Christmas and New Year.

it doesn’t make sense at all, unfortunately. If you did that, there’d be no service London - Scotland on the ECML between Christmas and New Year.
The pain of stopping trains will need to happen at some point. Given the current strikes there are days when few run at all.

So were just puttingv off the Day that is needed to run on the new wires and power supply. A certain amount of trains could of course run on the fast lines but none from the Leeds direction.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The pain of stopping trains will need to happen at some point. Given the current strikes there are days when few run at all.

So we’re just puttingv off the Day that is needed to run on the new wires and power supply. A certain amount of trains could of course run on the fast lines but none from the Leeds direction.

I’m not sure you understand the intricacies of the work sequencing, nor the scale of disruption that requires.
To be fair I’m not sure I do either, as they are both big complex jobs up in the York area this Christmas!

I’m not sure you understand the intricacies of the work sequencing, nor the scale of disruption that requires.
To be fair I’m not sure I do either, as they are both big complex jobs up in the York area this Christmas!
Having spent my career in Railway Engineering and Major Projects yes I fully understand the sequencing of the workers challenge. These would be two worksites a few miles apart. So not inhibiting each sites work area. Some thought would need to be given to trains and equipment working on both sites. However not an impossible task. If the main lines were kept open they could be used with the OHL isolated and trains run on diesel mode.

No doubt you will have noted up thread that electrification works have been carried out on TPE lines in the Manchester area during strike days.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Having spent my career in Railway Engineering and Major Projects yes I fully understand the sequencing of the workers challenge. These would be two worksites a few miles apart. So not inhibiting each sites work area. Some thought would need to be given to trains and equipment working on both sites. However not an impossible task. If the main lines were kept open they could be used with the OHL isolated and trains run on diesel mode.

No doubt you will have noted up thread that electrification works have been carried out on TPE lines in the Manchester area during strike days.
How do you keep the main lines open when you're tying in the OLE at the junction?

The better option for Passengers is to do the work in two blocks, so that you are only needing to bridge a short gap each time rather than one rather larger gap at once. If you can access York from the North when Colton is blocked, you only have to bus people between Leeds/Doncaster and York. If York is also blocked at the north end, you suddenly have to get people up to Darlington, Durham or even Newcastle depending on capacity.

How do you keep the main lines open when you're tying in the OLE at the junction?

The better option for Passengers is to do the work in two blocks, so that you are only needing to bridge a short gap each time rather than one rather larger gap at once. If you can access York from the North when Colton is blocked, you only have to bus people between Leeds/Doncaster and York. If York is also blocked at the north end, you suddenly have to get people up to Darlington, Durham or even Newcastle depending on capacity.
They are off course only tying in the OHL on the slow lines at Colton but an isolation of the area would needed.

zwk500

Veteran Member
They are off course only tying in the OHL on the slow lines at Colton but an isolation of the area would needed.
Are they not tying in all 4 lines? Or are they planning to do the other pair later? (They're Leeds/Normantons not fast/slow round there).

Nottingham59

Established Member
They are of course only tying in the OHL on the slow lines at Colton
I would be surprised if that were the case. As far as I can see, from Colton Junction there are four tracks being newly electrictrifed to Leeds/Normanton and there are four tracks already electrified towards York. It would be odd not to tie together all four tracks at the same time.

At the junction itself, where there are six tracks side-by-side, Google satellite view shows the shadows of electrification posts on all six tracks.
1671362312729.png

zwk500

Veteran Member
I would be surprised if that were the case. As far as I can see, from Colton Junction there are four tracks being newly electrictrifed to Leeds/Normanton and there are four tracks already electrified towards York. It would be odd not to tie together all four tracks at the same time.

At the junction itself, where there are six tracks side-by-side, Google satellite view shows the shadows of electrification posts on all six tracks.
All 4 tracks from Colton Junction to York have been electrified since the ECML upgrade in the late 80s/early 90s. This included an overrun length onto all 4 tracks towards Leeds.
The project has indeed electrified all 4 tracks between Church Fenton East junction and Colton Junction, so they will, at some point, be tying in all 4 tracks.

However, it is possible that they decide to do the tying in in two stages, with the Leeds lines closed but York-Doncaster available for 1 weekend, and the Leeds lines open but the York-Doncaster line closed the other weekend. If this is the plan, I wouldn't want to also close the north end of York station because managing the passenger load isn't going to be easy either way.

Nottingham59

Established Member
This included an overrun length onto all 4 tracks towards Leeds.
My error. But I didn't see much of an over-run on Google streetview. This image is the view from Colton Lane, north towards the junction, dating from 2019. The footbridge visible is beyond the junction itself.

1671365152762.png
If there are overruns on all four tracks towards Leeds/Normanton, then I can't see why it would be a major job to tie the knitting together? Isn't it the purpose of over-runs to make it easy to do just that?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

i didn’t explain very well.

the sequencing of works for the electrification is that some works are happening this year, then there’s much more work needed before the next big all line block next Christmas. It’s not all OLE work, there’s power and distribution works too. I can’t remember the details but when I went through it a while back it was all logical.

it would have been like this regardless of the S&C work up at York (Which is a substantial job in itself).

zwk500

Veteran Member
My error. But I didn't see much of an over-run on Google streetview. This image is the view from Colton Lane, north towards the junction, dating from 2019. The footbridge visible is beyond the junction itself.

If there are overruns on all four tracks towards Leeds/Normanton, then I can't see why it would be a major job to tie the knitting together? Isn't it the purpose of over-runs to make it easy to do just that?
I think the overruns were mainly to mitigate against stranding if there was a wrong-routing. The benefit to later extension is a bonus. I don't know the ins and outs, but tying in the knitting itself isn't a major job, but does involve isolating the OLE for the entire section and working at height, so would need trains stopped. The two pairs might be far enough apart to keep trains running on the pair not being worked on, but the isolation will almost certainly be all-lines so it'll need coasting or diesel running.

Ploughman

Established Member
In the past whenever I was working on a renewal between Colton and Church Fenton it was normal to work on either the Leeds lines or the Normantons. With one pair open and the other under possession.
With the nearest track open subject to a safety speed TSR for the duration of the possession.