• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

modernrail

Not sure but think the pic is today. Perhaps removing the train shed is imminent after being postponed last weekend due to wind.
K
Is it coming off and going back on? If so, how come it is coming off in the first place?

That’s the roof that covered the first train I caught as a toddler with my Mum. Really good to see the station finally get a decent upgrade on the operational side.

EDIT: there seems to be fairly high level detail only on the TRU website.

Has the plan for the station been through local planning yet? Whilst welcoming investment I can think of better options for the design of the new roof and footbridge to compliment the existing station.

It is such a big set of changes I would expect to see a lot more information and plans/images available (and commentary on how they came to the design choices and the planning process through Kirklees) if work is truly about to start at full scale.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

coxxy

Thought the sidings were now out of use now? Looks like a 150 stabled in there..

superkev

Established Member
Is it coming off and going back on? If so, how come it is coming off in the first place?

That’s the roof that covered the first train I caught as a toddler with my Mum. Really good to see the station finally get a decent upgrade on the operational side.
Transpennine upgrade website
says "Sympathetic restoration of the station roof".
May just keep the spupporting streelwork.
I dont think its many years since they renewed the roof deck.
K

Spartacus

Established Member
Transpennine upgrade website
says "Sympathetic restoration of the station roof".
May just keep the spupporting streelwork.
I dont think its many years since they renewed the roof deck.
K

According to the application the plan is to restore the original lantern to an modified design, removed around nationalisation (probably to allow smoke to escape easier), along with strengthening works.

DOCUMENT NR15A: HUDDERSFIELD STATION DESIGN AND ACCESS STATEMENT

The use of DB V200 locos is interesting :D

coxxy

Allowed one unit at that side of the sidings whilst work ongoing.
Ahhh Fair enough, notices just said taken out of use - presumed that meant completely. God forbid they one day make them clear... lol

1D53

Established Member
They'll be clear once they start demolishing them! The unit there is for the first Penistone in the morning, it normally stays in P2 but obviously that's not possible this weekend with the crane etc.

midland1

Took a lot of photos on that route in the mid late 80s ( came up at weekends from Leicester) of the cl. 45s, looking forward coming up again to see the DB V200s :D

matacaster

On Moderation
According to the application the plan is to restore the original lantern to an modified design, removed around nationalisation (probably to allow smoke to escape easier), along with strengthening works.

DOCUMENT NR15A: HUDDERSFIELD STATION DESIGN AND ACCESS STATEMENT

The use of DB V200 locos is interesting :D
Figure 4.1.2b diagram is wrong. The track for platform 2 should be next to platform 1. Platform 2 is indeed indented free m platform 1, but on the other side

matacaster

On Moderation
The schematic 4.1.3b is correct regarding platform for existing layout for penistone trains. Schematics c 4.1.2b refers to a long disused platform arrangement now occupied by a 'mens group's including half a class 144.

snowball

Established Member
Press release:

Changes to weekday services between Huddersfield, Dewsbury and Leeds will be in place for a four-week period from Monday 22 April until Friday 17 May, as TRU complete major upgrades.

Throughout the work, a total of 4000m of new track will be installed between Morley and Cottingley station while troughing will be fitted to hold 3500m of new signal cables. While this takes place, engineers will also remove five redundant signal bases and undertake some work to the platforms at Morley station.

Environmental and ground surveys will be completed, including bat surveys, trial pits and coring work, in advance of future work along the route.

Diversionary routes and rail replacement buses will keep people on the move, but passengers are advised to plan ahead and check nationalrail.co.uk before travelling.

The work is part of the Transpennine Route Upgrade, a multi-billion pound programme of rail upgrades between Manchester, Huddersfield, Leeds and York.

Paul Sumner, Senior Sponsor on the Transpennine Route Upgrade, said:

“I want to thank passengers in advance for bearing with us while we close parts of the railway between Huddersfield and Leeds to complete these major upgrades.

“This important work will ultimately help bring about major improvements for passengers travelling across the North of England, with faster, more reliable and greener services”.

Additional work for the Transpennine Route Upgrade will also take place on weekends around this period, affecting trains between Marsden, Huddersfield and Heaton Lodge.

Chris Nutton, Major Projects Directors at TransPennine Express, said:

“The major upgrade works that will be done between Huddersfield and Leeds over this four-week period are essential for the delivery of more reliable services for our customers.

“We will be running an amended timetable on our North route while these improvement works are being carried out, diverting trains between Huddersfield and Leeds. Rail replacement buses will also be in place to keep customers on the move for more local journeys. We’d like to advise customers to check before they travel.”

matacaster

On Moderation
Picture taken today from west end of platform 1 of where first section of roof has been removed for refurbishment.

Attachments

• PXL_20240417_110747597.jpg
    PXL_20240417_110747597.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 246

gledhill56

Picture taken today from west end of platform 1 of where first section of roof has been removed for refurbishment.
According to the plans the first two sections of the roof at the western end up to the end of the main station building are to be permanently removed.IMG_5092.jpeg

matacaster

On Moderation
According to the plans the first two sections of the roof at the western end up to the end of the main station building are to be permanently removed.View attachment 156636
Ah, that makes sense. I noticed that they had cut through the steelwork? where the roof was attached to wall. You can actually see the cut off bits in my photo. I thought it odd if they were being refurbished to cut them off.
Thanks, mystery solved.

josh-j

Indeed, and the "B & C" part replaced by a modern structure that at least in the renders I think looks rather good. Very happy to see this work starting in earnest now!

fishwomp

Indeed, and the "B & C" part replaced by a modern structure that at least in the renders I think looks rather good. Very happy to see this work starting in earnest now!
Disappointed they've been allowed to cut back the original A shed again, and generally want to make something futuristic rather than in keeping.

The A shed extended further towards Leeds until around 1984 - you could/can still see where the metal was cut still. It'll be about 2/3rd the length of the original after this.

The "C" awning isn't much to write home about, but "B" was very much in keeping with A, built at same time - and would have looked good after a clean.

The plan is a bit like a Merseyrail 503 (or 55008): preservation by pickling a small section for the future generations to look at, and a Victorian era wooden tea room transported to the future sitting under the Buck Rogers roof..

Meerkat

Established Member
Disappointed they've been allowed to cut back the original A shed again, and generally want to make something futuristic rather than in keeping.

The A shed extended further towards Leeds until around 1984 - you could/can still see where the metal was cut still. It'll be about 2/3rd the length of the original after this.

The "C" awning isn't much to write home about, but "B" was very much in keeping with A, built at same time - and would have looked good after a clean.

The plan is a bit like a Merseyrail 503 (or 55008): preservation by pickling a small section for the future generations to look at, and a Victorian era wooden tea room transported to the future sitting under the Buck Rogers roof..
Is it just me that thinks the overall roof might be interesting from a historical/engineering point of view but is actually pretty ugly and gloomy, and rather disappointing compared to the stunning main building? IMO wouldn't have been a great loss to lose it all.
The new roofs are rather an interesting design.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Is it just me that thinks the overall roof might be interesting from a historical/engineering point of view but is actually pretty ugly and gloomy, and rather disappointing compared to the stunning main building? IMO wouldn't have been a great loss to lose it all.
The new roofs are rather an interesting design.
No, it is not just you! I feel the same.

modernrail

No, it is not just you! I feel the same.
Ha, an often debated point in Huddersfield. Certainly a juxtaposition with the station building.

I think the main roof would look really good with the hole filled in and lighter interior cladding.

The whole platform area would feel a lot better with something to stop the wind from the Eastern end.

I think I read in some of the plans that the new roof has been optimised to shield from prevailing westerly. Mistake if so. That was of the station is already sheltered by the bridge etc.

What gets you at Huddersfield are the not infrequent easterly winds coming in from the much more exposed eastern end.

I really don’t like the new roof, especially when paired with the old one. It is an interesting design but I just don’t see how it slots together and I don’t see how it stands out in a good way. I am also confused by the arrangements at the Eastern end that seem to leave for instance the route to the footbridge lifts uncovered at what is the most exposed part of the station.

All in all I wouldn’t be sorry to see some rethinks if the new roof arrangements have not yet been through planning.

modernrail

I don’t see why they can’t go for something a bit more like this.

Attachments

• IMG_2370.jpeg
    672 KB · Views: 160

WAO

It looks like the new Huddersfield platform awnings are tapered upwards like at Reading - modern chic architecturally but they direct wind and rain on to the waiting customers below. The old train shed is just functional but it does what it (should) say/s on the tin - shelter from inclement weather while admitting natural light.

NR would produce better stations if it spent less on them - it is a poor procurer.

WAO

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It looks like the new Huddersfield platform awnings are tapered upwards like at Reading - modern chic architecturally but they direct wind and rain on to the waiting customers below. The old train shed is just functional but it does what it (should) say/s on the tin - shelter from inclement weather while admitting natural light.

NR would produce better stations if it spent less on them - it is a poor procurer.

WAO
The roof hasn't "done what it says on the tin" on Platform 1 since the platform was widened in 1989. The platform edge is now in line with the gap in the roof, meaning you get rained on when boarding or alighting. By comparison the Sheffield bay (at least the part of it near the buffers which is under the roof, for now) is well covered, being roughly in line with where the edge of Platform 1 was originally.

I can't recall if the current plans fix this problem (listed status could be a stumbling block) but I hope they do.

WAO

But it did originally.

My point is that modern alterations neglect the passenger - as your comment shows!

WAO

Meerkat

Established Member

WAO
AIUI the roof is tapered up to maintain sightlines of the listed warehouses to the West

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
But it did originally.

My point is that modern alterations neglect the passenger - as your comment shows!

WAO
Yes, but the track isn't moving back to its original position. I'd like to think the railway has come on a bit since 1989, and this project is a bit more ambitious than the 1989 resignalling and remodelling.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The roof hasn't "done what it says on the tin" on Platform 1 since the platform was widened in 1989. The platform edge is now in line with the gap in the roof, meaning you get rained on when boarding or alighting. By comparison the Sheffield bay (at least the part of it near the buffers which is under the roof, for now) is well covered, being roughly in line with where the edge of Platform 1 was originally.

I can't recall if the current plans fix this problem (listed status could be a stumbling block) but I hope they do.
It’s stated in the planning document linked in post #7836 that restoration is planned. Theres an explanation of exactly how they’ll fix the missing ‘lantern’ section in section 5.1.3 page 30.

GardenRail

How can a single platform alone cost £24 Million? At best, it's probably going to be nowhere near £1 Million. Nevermind 24 (Probably a few Hundred Thousand at best).

Which begs the question: What's happening with the extra money allocated to this project?
Signalling alterations, everything from interlocking, new points, changing the VDU signal box displays, CCF alterations, new Signals. Then all the testing, designing, blaaa blaaa blaaa.

My point is, it's not as simple as just a new platform.