• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine woes and a moan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VauxhallNova

I’ve heard many many reports of multiple drivers and guards sat in mess room, available to work, all well with in hours, yet control don’t utilise them and just cancel the train. It’s almost as if there being told not to run the train service.

It would be really interesting to understand what's going on with this, and why.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Because as mentioned before, pre-planned cancellations (i.e before 10pm the previous day) don’t count towards the performance stats and the train company still gets paid by the DfT to (not) run the train. This isn't exclusive to TPE, but as a result there is no incentive to run the service while the DfT are bankrolling the current service contracts. The only way this will get resolved is either re-privatisation and giving the train companies full commercial freedom and free of DfT micro-managing and meddling, or full renationalisation but with commercial freedom to operate as a private company and free of DfT micro-managing and meddling. Yes, minimum service levels should be maintained but it needs railway management to err…. manage the railway, not civil servants.

Established Member
Yes, minimum service levels should be maintained but it needs railway management to err…. manage the railway, not civil servants.

Indeed. The proposed regulation to require minimal service levels during industrial action rather ignores the fact that minimum service levels often cannot be maintained during normal conditions due to low crewing levels…. :)

Last edited:

VauxhallNova

Yes, minimum service levels should be maintained but it needs railway management to err…. manage the railway, not civil servants.

So it's DfT who are P coding trains? Or the DfT that are permitting it, and they should stop this "micro-management"?

If anything, what you're describing seems like a lack of micro-management, that they can just do what they want?

Last edited:

sjpowermac

Established Member
Services would be more reliable with the timetable in its current form. And the training backlog that exists could start to be worked through. The DfT could sign RDW off tomorrow. It's the key to bring reliability back. I'd suggest a few people I know would jump at RDW given rising cost of living and Xmas on the horizon... but it is a fair point - there are equally those who have no drive to do so. However, it's the first unblocker to resolve the current crisis. DfT won't though - as it costs money and thanks to Loony Liz and Kami Kwasi that's at a premium!

The decisions, as has been mentioned on here before, about 3/4 drivers/conductors working one service are a key driver to cancellations currently. Only takes one driver to be missing for that service to be cancelled. Throw in lack of traction/route knowledge in some depots for covering services and you lose resilience. That issue will take years to resolve.

Current directors? Golton talks a good game but from what I've seen/heard isn't being forward enough about the current situation. Whether that's anything to do with the NRC and not being allowed to slag off the DfT... who knows. But I hope they get some stark realisation at how bad it all is, as we've been asked to fill in some check in survey and nothing positive from me.
Very interesting, thankyou. Sounds like a total nightmare.

I think forum members previously said that approach was designed around "efficiencies" / cost cutting. Do you know when it first began being implemented i.e. which timetable change?

It seems from what you've suggested that the solution comes in two sections. Firstly, agreeing rest days to ease the shortage of traincrew. Secondly, undoing the Leo & FirstGroup approach of 3/4 traincrew per train, which may take a lot longer.

@SuperNova Here here is Mr.Galton at the TfN Committee Meeting from 31.05.2022 …

In summary, the TPE MD tells us that in the six month period leading up to Autumn 2021, TPE put in its best performance ever. I wonder what were the reasons behind that stunning performance?

The reasons he gives for the dip in performance since are:

1. Higher than usual sickness rates amongst train crew, up to 20% at some depots.

2. Withdrawal of drivers rest day working agreement.

3. RMT dispute mainly affecting Sunday, but also resulted in removal of RDW and overtime during the week. Things have now moved on with this point, but it’s interesting that you wouldn’t really notice it from the reduced Sunday timetable in operation.

4. Training backlog due to COVID.

@gimmea50anyday regarding trains being covered from Newcastle, that’s very interesting. Was it the case though that parts of the diagrams allocated to other depots were not covered?

As an outsider, it’s quite hard to fathom what’s really going on. As I understand it, TPE have had/have a big training backlog due to the pandemic stopping training. At the same time there is currently no Rest Day Working agreement with drivers, which makes it very difficult to carry out training without the knock on effect of cancelling services.

I’m supposing that they must be getting through the training backlog by now, hopefully with a consequent improvement in performance sometime soon. A statement from the company as to when they expect things to improve/progress made wouldn’t go amiss.

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
My apologies for not going back to the beginning of this thread. "DfT could sign off RDW tomorrow"? Have the DfT banned the payment of overtime for rest day working?

The DfT is holding the purse strings tightly under the NRC which replaced franchising and while they haven't banned RDW agreements being formed they don't want train crew getting a premium payment for giving up their time off. This means they won't sign off an agreement that includes sweeteners for giving up your day off to work trains.

LowLevel

Established Member
The DfT is holding the purse strings tightly under the NRC which replaced franchising and while they haven't banned RDW agreements being formed they don't want train crew getting a premium payment for giving up their time off. This means they won't sign off an agreement that includes sweeteners for giving up your day off to work trains.
Or at least only very small ones.

The guards at my TOC were restructured earlier this year - moving to an 8 hrs 45 average day and 4 day week for 35 hours with Sundays inside.

DfT signed off on the agreement that RDW would be paid for a minimum 9 hrs 15.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member

Or at least only very small ones.

The guards at my TOC were restructured earlier this year - moving to an 8 hrs 45 average day and 4 day week for 35 hours with Sundays inside.

DfT signed off on the agreement that RDW would be paid for a minimum 9 hrs 15.

Indeed.

TPE Drivers were offered a Rest Day Working agreement a few months ago, which was the same rate of uplift as the Guards get.

Drivers were on, until December 2021, something like "10 hours minimum payment at Time + 50%" for any rest day working. It might even have been Time + 75%, I can't remember what I was told. This meant drivers were getting the same as a Guard's entirely weekly wage for doing just a few hours of work on a rest day.

Guards Ts & Cs (since 2011) have been "5 hours minimum payment at Time + 15%" for rest day working.

The drivers were offered the same as guards.

ASLEF rejected it saying they needed a rate which was the same or better than that they enjoyed previously.

Needless to say the DfT did not authorise this higher rate of pay.

Last edited:

Established Member
Indeed.

TPE Drivers were offered a Rest Day Working agreement a few months ago, which was the same rate of uplift as the Guards get.

Drivers were on, until December 2021, something like "10 hours minimum payment at Time + 50%" for any rest day working. It might even have been Time + 75%, I can't remember what I was told. This meant drivers were getting the same as a Guard's entirely weekly wage for doing just a few hours of work on a rest day.

Guards Ts & Cs (since 2011) have been "5 hours minimum payment at Time + 20%" for rest day working.

ASLEF rejected it saying they needed a rate which was the same or better than that they enjoyed previously.

Needless to say the DfT did not authorise this higher rate of pay.

Perhaps you should be asking why guards weren’t offered the same premium as drivers, rather than taking obvious pleasure in drivers being offered less. The results of not paying enough to incentivise RDW are now available for all to see.

As for premiums no longer being offered, time + 50% was authorised here very recently for drivers… (at a lower minimum hours admittedly). I’ve no idea what guards get, but then I don’t make it my business to scrutinise and compare my own earnings with what everyone I work with gets paid.

Serathor

Hi
Sorry to hijack this thread. But I wonder if someone could shed some light on this journey.

Every time we get a TPE to Manchester, from Darlington - there is a problem. or you are sandwiched on the train like Sardines.

However this time we booked standard seats, and caught the 11.16 to Liverpool Limestreet (Our destination was MAN Vic), and we boarded the train and it was packed we had to stand in the corridor absolutely sandwiched in.

We where in coach C and it it turned out that coach D had been closed off because of a technical problem.

The train pulled up at Northallerton where it sat for about 15 min, as even more people tried to squeeze on. Chatting amongst the other people we where squashed close to it was rumoured that the fault with coach D was the Tannoy System was not working, so the coach was closed for safety reasons.

If that is true, I don't understand how squashing everyone in the other coaches is safer than having a malfunctioning speaker system is - but hey ho!

Eventually at York the train cleared a bit and I was able to make my way to my booked seat, the announcer had already told people to honour seat bookings but this one rude "lady" decided she wasn't giving my booked seat as she was entitled to it, as their carriage was closed. Using the "Well I have a child, so there you go"

At this point I may have welcomed her to the seat, but it was her attitude that really irked me. And as I don't like confrontation she got away with it.

it's every single time we travel with TPE there is an issue, or we really don't get for we have paid for.

Does anyone know really why this carriage was out of action?

Thank you

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Hi
Sorry to hijack this thread. But I wonder if someone could shed some light on this journey.

Every time we get a TPE to Manchester, from Darlington - there is a problem. or you are sandwiched on the train like Sardines.

However this time we booked standard seats, and caught the 11.16 to Liverpool Limestreet (Our destination was MAN Vic), and we boarded the train and it was packed we had to stand in the corridor absolutely sandwiched in.

We where in coach C and it it turned out that coach D had been closed off because of a technical problem.

The train pulled up at Northallerton where it sat for about 15 min, as even more people tried to squeeze on. Chatting amongst the other people we where squashed close to it was rumoured that the fault with coach D was the Tannoy System was not working, so the coach was closed for safety reasons.

If that is true, I don't understand how squashing everyone in the other coaches is safer than having a malfunctioning speaker system is - but hey ho!

Eventually at York the train cleared a bit and I was able to make my way to my booked seat, the announcer had already told people to honour seat bookings but this one rude "lady" decided she wasn't giving my booked seat as she was entitled to it, as their carriage was closed. Using the "Well I have a child, so there you go"

At this point I may have welcomed her to the seat, but it was her attitude that really irked me. And as I don't like confrontation she got away with it.

it's every single time we travel with TPE there is an issue, or we really don't get for we have paid for.

Thank you

Which day was this?

GB71

Today must be an all time low for TPE South; no trains have operated from Manchester to Sheffield for TPE since 06:15 and none are expected until 21:18 at the earliest. Surely this disgusting level of service can't go on.

So for the first time in 3 years, having once been a regular I gave TPE a chance. I can't be the only one who won't be returning. For over 40 years I have loved train travel and it is so sad to see - I'm also (not proud of this) a FirstGroup shareholder - is it time for some shareholder action?

EZJ

ASLEF rejected it saying they needed a rate which w
Drivers were offered time plus 15% with no minimum hours payment, quite rightly it was rejected, ASLEF however never asked for the same or better that little rumour is again another one of the tales being fed to people to try and make drivers look greedy. ASLEF asked for a fair deal which up to now hasn't been forthcoming.

Matt_pool

Why on earth would anyone even consider booking on this route currently?
For a few months I've been planning a trip to the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway which would involve going from Liverpool via Leeds on TPE (I could go via Bradford but that involves 4 changes and takes longer and would be at the mercy of Northern!). And at the beginning of December I was planning on going to Leeds for a couple of days (hotel booked with free cancellation) for a pre Christmas visit to a few real ale pubs, craft beer bars and brewery tap rooms.

But with the rail strikes and unreliability of TPE the trip to the KWVR will have to wait until next year, or until a time when I know I'll be able to get there and back without any problems, and my pub crawl of Leeds has now been moved to Manchester. I'm seriously considering just booking National Express tickets for that in case of possible rail strikes, and even if the trains are running at least I'll get a seat on the coach instead of possibly having to stand on an overcrowded, short formed Northern or EMR service!

Established Member
Hi

Thank you
If the carriage has no working PA then yes it will be locked out of use for Safety reason.

If an incident occurred on route, if you were in that carriage and you couldnt hear very important safety announcements, I would imagine you wouldn’t be very happy.
If that had happened whilst on depot, the unit most likely would but be allowed in service unless was fixed, if happened in service, then locking carriage out of use until train returns to depot is procedure.

greyman42

Established Member
If the carriage has no working PA then yes it will be locked out of use for Safety reason.

If an incident occurred on route, if you were in that carriage and you couldnt hear very important safety announcements, I would imagine you wouldn’t be very happy.
If that had happened whilst on depot, the unit most likely would but be allowed in service unless was fixed, if happened in service, then locking carriage out of use until train returns to depot is procedure.
Souds completely over the top to me.

Andyh82

Established Member
Nothing Liverpool to Newcastle today between 0854 and 1554, I wouldn't want to be on that 1554 with six train loads on it.
There obviously wouldn’t be 6 train loads on the 1554

I’m sure most passengers would have cobbled together some sort of alternative journey involving Northern, other TPE services, Crosscountry, LNER etc

DoubleO

Drivers were offered time plus 15% with no minimum hours payment, quite rightly it was rejected, ASLEF however never asked for the same or better that little rumour is again another one of the tales being fed to people to try and make drivers look greedy. ASLEF asked for a fair deal which up to now hasn't been forthcoming.

I was told in no uncertain terms by a TPE ASLEF rep that they wouldn't accept any less than the previous deal.....

trainophile

Established Member
There obviously wouldn’t be 6 train loads on the 1554

I’m sure most passengers would have cobbled together some sort of alternative journey involving Northern, other TPE services, Crosscountry, LNER etc
Well yes, I was being somewhat tongue in cheek, but the point remains that passengers shouldn't have to "cobble together" some sort of alternative and probably far less convenient journey, when they bought a through ticket in good faith.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Sorry if the question's been answered already but are TPE still honouring their Delay Repay policy or are they trying to weasel their way out by cancelling trains the night before they run and claiming they're "planned cancellations" so no compensation is payable, as some other TOCs have been doing?

On Moderation
Sorry if the question's been answered already but are TPE still honouring their Delay Repay policy or are they trying to weasel their way out by cancelling trains the night before they run and claiming they're "planned cancellations" so no compensation is payable, as some other TOCs have been doing?
Predictably, they're weaselling their way out of it by doing the "cancel before 10pm the night before". The terms in the NRCOT that allow them to do that really needs to be tested in court under unfair contract terms legislation. It is an utter nonsense that someone can buy a ticket for a specific train weeks in advance and the seller then has the right to cancel the train up to 10pm the night before, with no comeback - the contract is formed the moment the ticket is sold.

Killingworth

Established Member
Today must be an all time low for TPE South; no trains have operated from Manchester to Sheffield for TPE since 06:15 and none are expected until 21:18 at the earliest. Surely this disgusting level of service can't go on.

So for the first time in 3 years, having once been a regular I gave TPE a chance. I can't be the only one who won't be returning. For over 40 years I have loved train travel and it is so sad to see - I'm also (not proud of this) a FirstGroup shareholder - is it time for some shareholder action?

Yes!

To be as fair as possible, but probably to wind up 99% of TPE passengers across the Pennines even more, the TPE route from Edinburgh to Berwick and Newcastle seems to be running well. As are those of competitor operators LNER, CrossCountry and Lumo.

Observation of trains through Alnmouth this week suggests no shortage of capacity on this sector although loadings seen have varied from an almost empty 10 car Azuma to well filled 4 car CrossCountry. A missing TPE unit would hardly be missed.

Last edited:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
The two 802 diagrams that operate the edinburgh-newcastle shuttles are pretty much self contained as the unit off Craigentinny is crewed all day by Glasgow while the unit off heaton that forms the 07:04 is crewed by Newcastle all day. Its this unit that forms the 19:11 from Edinburgh to York then goes on to Doncaster along with the 22:06 from Newcastle to York, but if the york driver isn't available to take these units to Doncaster then the train is terminated at Newcastle as there is no stabling space at York. Its the same York driver that brings the two units off to form the 06:18 and 07:10 departures from york to Newcastle

*** NEW POST ***

both ex doncaster sets are cancelled again so 07:43 and 08:44 off Newcastle are cancelled. Two of the heaton sets are covered but one isnt although there is a spare driver gone to heaton to pick up the 04:25 so that left pretty much on time. 05:40 has now been cancelled due to a unit fault but 06:40 is currently shown as running

Frustratingly it appears not all of the cancellations have been made public today and some services are showing as runn8ng when they clearly arent

Last edited:

RM-Taylor

TPE South is non existent today.

0325 Sheffield-Manchester Airport Cancelled
0504 Cleethorpes-Manchester Piccadilly Cancelled
0508 Sheffield-Manchester Piccadilly Cancelled
0521 Sheffield-Cleethorpes Cancelled
0536 Doncaster-Manchester Piccadilly Cancelled
0554 Manchester Airport-Cleethorpes Cancelled (only running Airport to Piccadilly)
0624 Cleethorpes-Manchester Piccadilly Cancelled
0718 Manchester Piccadilly-Cleethorpes Cancelled
0727 Cleethorpes-Manchester Piccadilly Running
0818 Manchester Piccadilly-Cleethorpes Cancelled
0824 Cleethorpes-Manchester Piccadilly Cancelled
1018 Manchester Piccadilly-Cleethorpes Cancelled
1026 Cleethorpes-Manchester Piccadilly Cancelled
1118 Manchester Piccadilly-Cleethorpes Cancelled
1124 Cleethorpes-Manchester Piccadilly Cancelled
1218 Manchester Piccadilly-Cleethorpes Cancelled
1224 Cleethorpes-Manchester Piccadilly Cancelled
1418 Manchester Piccadilly-Cleethorpes Cancelled
1424 Cleethorpes-Manchester Piccadilly Running
1518 Manchester Piccadilly-Cleethorpes Cancelled
1524 Cleethorpes-Manchester Piccadilly Running
1618 Manchester Piccadilly-Cleethorpes Cancelled
1624 Cleethorpes-Manchester Piccadilly Running
1718 Manchester Piccadilly-Cleethorpes Cancelled
1724 Cleethorpes-Manchester Piccadilly Running
1818 Manchester Piccadilly-Cleethorpes Cancelled
1824 Cleethorpes-Manchester Piccadilly Cancelled
1918 Manchester Piccadilly-Cleethorpes Running
1924 Cleethorpes-Manchester Piccadilly Cancelled
2018 Manchester Piccadilly-Cleethorpes Running
2024 Cleethorpes-Manchester Airport Cancelled
2052 Manchester Airport-Cleethorpes Running
2124 Cleethorpes-Sheffield Cancelled
2220 Manchester Piccadilly-Doncaster Cancelled
2330 Manchester Airport-Sheffield Cancelled

Twingo37175

0554 Manchester Airport-Cleethorpes Cancelled (only running Airport to Piccadilly)
I would add both the the 1918 and 2018 are 3 vice 6. I am booked on the latter, thankfully. Can imagine the one in front being "close "

Killingworth

Established Member

4 random services in each direction rather than the regiular hourly they should be providing;

This can't be excused by sickness or strikes. Something, or things, are badly wrong in management.

On South Pennine the TPE core Sheffield-Manchester section could be abandoned and we'd hardly know the difference - except Northern and EMR could plan accordingly. Users might then have a better experience from the railway.

As it is TPE's shambolic agony is being visited on all other operators across the north inflicting significant long term damage to the future of the passenger side of the industry.

SLC001

Of course, it could be that staff are calling in sick during half term week? There may well be many reasons why performance is poor and so a small factor can have devastating consequences just tipping the balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.