• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport Fever 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Kelford

Are mods in TpF treated the same as in Train Fever?

Train Fever (on which I spent 330 hours to complete the Steam achievements) does not allow you to collect the achievements unless the game is played 100% vanilla, i.e. zero mods enabled.
Yes, TF2 is the same, no achievements if you have any mods enabled
There's a Transport Fever 1 mod called 'Acheatments' which was supported officially (made by a modder) by the developers which allows you to earn achievements with mods. The same mod exists on TF2.
My solution is to just place a boatload of signals on the track!

It can be annoying when you have a faster train stuck behind a slower one when it either accelerates or brakes instead of staying at a constant speed. This ends up with it breaking fully at a set of signals and taking forever to get up to speed again.
There is no provision for the idea of passing loops either and so when at a station with fast lines, it is a bit of a lottery to see if the slow train, pulling out of the station at 25mph or the express on the passing line, doing perhaps 125mph gets stopped to wait for the other.

Then lots of the train models provided aren't profitable unless running long distance Express routes due to the cost balancing, and in late game it becomes difficult to run little shuttle routes at all!
I found the opposite on my map. The stoppers from Paris to Nice (with stops at Troyes, Lyon and Marseille) did better than the TGVs with only a stop and Marseille.
Non-stops from Paris to Toulouse got basically no passengers. My best route is the stopper from Paris to Brest.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jozhua

Established Member
There's a Transport Fever 1 mod called 'Acheatments' which was supported officially (made by a modder) by the developers which allows you to earn achievements with mods. The same mod exists on TF2.

There is no provision for the idea of passing loops either and so when at a station with fast lines, it is a bit of a lottery to see if the slow train, pulling out of the station at 25mph or the express on the passing line, doing perhaps 125mph gets stopped to wait for the other.

I found the opposite on my map. The stoppers from Paris to Nice (with stops at Troyes, Lyon and Marseille) did better than the TGVs with only a stop and Marseille.
Non-stops from Paris to Toulouse got basically no passengers. My best route is the stopper from Paris to Brest.

I totally agree on passing loops, super annoying! It would be a easy feature to implement, just call it 'priority signals'!

In the end, I tend to give up and 4 track the whole thing, even if that wouldn't happen in the real world...

I was less referring to the specific routes made per say, just that many of the trains are designed around long distances, whereas the maps are the opposite!

D365

Veteran Member

That's good to hear, I don't think I could stomach another five years of vanilla TpF :D

In the end, I tend to give up and 4 track the whole thing, even if that wouldn't happen in the real world...

I like the four track look, it reminds me of the mainline railways radiating from London. Plus, they really aren't that expensive to build in the game, if you've planned your tunnels and bridges well.

Jozhua

Established Member
I like the four track look, it reminds me of the mainline railways radiating from London. Plus, they really aren't that expensive to build in the game, if you've planned your tunnels and bridges well.
True, I think it just depends what you want to go for! It'd be nice to have the choice with signalling to be able to do two track with passing loops effectively, although this would almost certainly come at the expense of your local services!

Giugiaro

Hello everyone! This chap over here has already spent 866 hours in Transport Fever and already amassed 223 hours on the sequel.

I mostly play Transport Fever 2 in sandbox mode and have more of a "scale modeller" approach to the game. I start by building my network to 1800's standards in Portugal then slowly modify, and detail, the network over each decade.

Here are some of the images of "Torres Vedras", my most complete savegame:
20200229_220312_img-9.jpg20200314_130001_img-1.jpg20200413_235421_img-2.jpg20200414_072522_img-1.jpg20200413_235959_img-3.jpg20200421_225059_img-0.jpg20200414_073346_img-2.jpg

I agree on passing loops, super annoying! It would be an easy feature to implement, just call it 'priority signals'!

It'd be easier if you could set "priorities" for lines. When two trains are merging on the same track, the one in the line with the higher priority would take the lead.
Say, for example, in my map the stopper line would have priority 1 (lowest), the cargo line 2, and the InterCity service 3. IC would always call dibs for the track first, then the cargo train, then the stopper.

I do realise it's not just trains, but I don't think there's anything similar that are trains only?

If you fancy some Japanese trains, the A-Train franchise is the way to go. Mostly or completely focused on trains, timetable based, per vehicle. It can get a bit too complex and even overwhelming.

Last edited:

CM

Hello everyone! This chap over here has already spent 866 hours in Transport Fever and already amassed 223 hours on the sequel.

I mostly play Transport Fever 2 in sandbox mode and have more of a "scale modeller" approach to the game. I start by building my network to 1800's standards in Portugal then slowly modify, and detail, the network over each decade.

Here are some of the images of "Torres Vedras", my most complete savegame:
View attachment 76886View attachment 76885View attachment 76887View attachment 76888View attachment 76889View attachment 76890View attachment 76891

It'd be easier if you could set "priorities" for lines. When two trains are merging on the same track, the one in the line with the higher priority would take the lead.
Say, for example, in my map the stopper line would have priority 1 (lowest), the cargo line 2, and the InterCity service 3. IC would always call dibs for the track first, then the cargo train, then the stopper.

If you fancy some Japanese trains, the A-Train franchise is the way to go. Mostly or completely focused on trains, timetable based, per vehicle. It can get a bit too complex and even overwhelming.

I've always thought A-Train required a degree in rocket science to play as it's very difficult to get into properly. Another game with timetabling is Cities in Motion 2 but it's nowhere near as in-depth as A-Train and to get timetables to work properly you have to use Rulesets that make the game more resource hungry.

D365

Veteran Member
I've always thought A-Train required a degree in rocket science to play as it's very difficult to get into properly. Another game with timetabling is Cities in Motion 2 but it's nowhere near as in-depth as A-Train and to get timetables to work properly you have to use Rulesets that make the game more resource hungry.

Interesting to hear that. I’ve thought about buying A-Train for a number of years, but Train Fever alone still keeps me busy.

For CiM2, I’ve got my own custom rulesets which essentially doubles the capacity of each vehicle. It also doubles the radius of Metro stations; under the stock rules, the radius of influence is exactly the same as a regular bus stop! In terms of Metro timetables I just change it to one every hour (24/6), and then work from there.

D365

Veteran Member

Good to hear from you, that's some fantastic work! Must have taken quite some time just to pick the trains and infrastructure assets - never mind the actual building!

I had no idea that Transport Fever 2 is quite this detailed, no wonder the system requirements are so much higher than Train Fever.

Giugiaro

Thanks!

What I find most difficult to do is sharing the work to the public. Such a huge map like Torres Vedras has a lot of details that are hard to properly convey.
I published the savegame along a few decades, including the most recent one (2020), but it might be an unnecessary shore to download all the required mods.
Screenshots can only show so much.
And videos, which would be the best way to show the entire network, have a Youtube problem: compression!

Status
Not open for further replies.