• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales 769's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Whatever mode and over whatever route are not the deciding factors where 769s will run. They would be overkill using 4 carriages for most of the day on Maesteg to Cheltenhams. Keeping them on the Rhymney to Penarth means that only a limited number of traincrew would have to train on them rather than the need for widespread training.
That makes sense for now. My point was that, were they to be retained (which as it stands they are not), they couldn't run Rhymney to Penarth anymore due to the non-continuous wires and the fact 769s only self-power mode is diesel. But, were they to be retained, they could theoretically run Maesteg to Cheltenham and the diesel+electric bi-mode capability of the 769s would be useful on that route regards of any other pros and cons to deploying them thus.

At least it looks like TfW havent made the same mistake that Northern did with the 331s, by acquiring a train that would be creating diesel pollution until it is scrapped in 30+ years. The 231s will, I presume be convertable to Bimode, BEMU or even straight EMUs without replacing mechanical parts of the transmission.
TfW have made an even bigger mistake than Northern. Northern ordered 58 class 195 DMUs which (given a 30 year life) will create diesel pollution until around 2050. TfW ordered 77 class 197s (ie. 19 more DMUs than Northern) which if not cancelled sharpish, given the same 30 year life, will be burning diesel until 2052.

See the thread CAF Civity DMU for TfW.... :'(
Not enough tears. The introduction of all 77 class 197s, should it happen, would be a tragic embarasment for the rail system in Wales. Here's the topic topydre mentions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bob Price

Couldn't see any testing yesterday on the diagrams and none this morning. Both 008 and 002 should be serviceable. Anyone know what is happening?

Cardiff123

Established Member
Couldn't see any testing yesterday on the diagrams and none this morning. Both 008 and 002 should be serviceable. Anyone know what is happening?
TfW (Welsh Govt) CEO James Price is quoted in the August edition of Modern Railways as saying in the Welsh Parliament Economy, Infrastructural & Skills Committee from 2nd July that: "the Class 769s have been the bane of my life since I started in this role" and it's really not difficult to understand why.

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Nothing is happening :lol::lol: We don't know on the outside what work/training/testing is taking place behind the scenes. The paths are there for when TFW decide they want to use them.

Cardiff123

Established Member
Any 769 action planned today in the Valleys?
Yep, back out again today

TheWalrus

Established Member
Yep, back out again today
Thanks for the information. I missed those unfortunately but there was due to be another one leaving Canton at 1255 which was cancelled so didn’t see it unfortunately.

Bob Price

Morning run seems to have gone OK but 5Z71 is currently sitting in Ystrad Mynach going nowhere. However with the current wind anything could have happened.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Morning run seems to have gone OK but 5Z71 is currently sitting in Ystrad Mynach going nowhere. However with the current wind anything could have happened.

Problems with unit. Now on it's way back to Cardiff after delaying 2E13 behind it.

RichT54

Problems with unit. Now on it's way back to Cardiff after delaying 2E13 behind it.

I wonder what the percentage of runs completed without problems is for these units and how it compares to other trains after delivery to the customer?

anthony263

Established Member
769008 doesn't seem to be having a good time but with all yhe problems with it surely perhaps they should use 769002 if it proves to be more reliable.

Theres a bit if a joke on wnxx about the tfw 769s being a Friday afternoon job.

Bob Price

Saw a YouTube post which claimed it's a fault on the electrical side and couldn't get above 40mph. Not sure how they will get the milage in on these before the end of the year.

No paths in at all this week. I am sure they know what they are doing but a unit into service seems a long way off.

Last edited:

Cardiff123

Established Member
Looks like the 769 paths for this week and any in future have now disappeared from RTT.......

Senna1210

there were runs today but were cancelled due to a tree down this morning and now the tunnel is closed for inspection due to debris from one of the shafts

Bob Price

Today 002 worked up and back on 5Z69 an 5Z70 and there was the a 5Z71 back up to Rhymney. However there was no return operation. I am wondering if TfW used the path for a normal ECS to get a unit up for a PM service.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Today 002 worked up and back on 5Z69 an 5Z70 and there was the a 5Z71 back up to Rhymney. However there was no return operation. I am wondering if TfW used the path for a normal ECS to get a unit up for a PM service.

No. It was already planned as one way so must have stayed up there

No. It was already planned as one way so must have stayed up there

One will stay at Rhymney and trips scheduled next week will be two trips operating from the other end. (? training) The original paths starting at Cardiff will be 'Q' paths.

Last edited:

Bob Price

No. It was already planned as one way so must have stayed up theren One will stay at Rhymney and trips scheduled next week will be two trips operating from the other end. (? training) The original paths starting at Cardiff will be 'Q' paths.
Glad I wasn't seeing things. I will look out for the new times and see if I can get out and film. Time for a trip to Llanishan I think

Bob Price

Just did a search on services for Tuesday
5Z91 08:14 Rhymney Sidings to Cardiff Central
5Z69 08:55 Canton Carriage Servicing Depot to Rhymney North Gf
5Z92 10:03 Cardiff Central to Rhymney Sidings
5Z70 10:23 Rhymney North Gf to Canton Carriage Servicing Depot
5Z93 12:14 Rhymney Sidings to Cardiff Central
5Z71 12:55 Canton Carriage Servicing Depot to Bargoed
5Z72 13:54 Bargoed to Penarth
5Z94 14:03 Cardiff Central to Rhymney Sidings
5Z73 15:07 Penarth to Canton Carriage Servicing Depot

Very comprehensive testing and training.

Anonymous10

Established Member

Good to see they will be clocking up those miles hopefully see them in service around Christmas I know I'm being optimistic

Dai Corner

Established Member
Good to see they will be clocking up those miles hopefully see them in service around Christmas I know I'm being optimistic

They better be in service before the Pacers have to go on 1 January or there's going to be trouble!

Anonymous10

Established Member
They better be in service before the Pacers have to go on 1 January or there's going to be trouble!
If they aren't I can only see the Pacers having to stay if there isn't the rolling stock removing them with covid is out the question

Bob Price

There will be a few 150's and 153's from North Wales replaced by the 230's but not enough.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
There will be a few 150's and 153's from North Wales replaced by the 230's but not enough.

Just 2 x 150s on Wrexham to Bidston route with 2 more in line for increased service later

The Cardiff end starters have become 'Q'

Cardiff123

Established Member
Just 2 x 150s on Wrexham to Bidston route with 2 more in line for increased service later

The Cardiff end starters have become 'Q'
Can you explain what the Q means please? RTT says 'runs as required' so I guess there's no guarantee the path will be used, but then as we've seen already, there's never any guarantee any 769 path will ever definitely be used

If they aren't I can only see the Pacers having to stay if there isn't the rolling stock removing them with covid is out the question
I can't see how all 30 Pacers can go whilst we are still living with social distancing under Covid. I read in RAIL or MR (can't remember which) that 5 or 6 more EMR 153s have gone into warm storage. If there are more 153s going spare maybe TfW should take on those to send some Pacers to Newport Sims. TfW seem to have put the 153s they have to good use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.