• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales Class 230

The exile

Established Member
Strange -RTT showing it (assuming you mean the 14.35 ex Central) running from General to Bidston. Just cancelled from Central to General (ok - not much good if all you wanted was to do General to Central and back).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Yes I think the plan changed while it was in the platform and I had already disappeared. The staff member who turfed me off definitely thought the return working to Bidston was cancelled, as I asked; and there was also a class 5 empty working to Bidston in RTT when I abandoned.
Now on board the next northbound, a 197.

Lurcheroo

Yes I think the plan changed while it was in the platform and I had already disappeared. The staff member who turfed me off definitely thought the return working to Bidston was cancelled, as I asked; and there was also a class 5 empty working to Bidston in RTT when I abandoned.
Now on board the next northbound, a 197.
So I can give some context for you.
230009 was reported to have failed on Birkenhead depot and meant that 230008 was the only working 230.
This means that if it was to fail in service there is absolutely no way to rescue it. So TFW control will not risk allowing it into passenger service.

Shortly after it was planned to run it back to depot empty 230007 had been made available as a rescue unit and hence why they could reinstate 230008 into passenger service.

The exile

Established Member
230009 was reported to have failed on Birkenhead depot and meant that 230008 was the only working 230.
This means that if it was to fail in service there is absolutely no way to rescue it. So TFW control will not risk allowing it into passenger service.

Shortly after it was planned to run it back to depot empty 230007 had been made available as a rescue unit and hence why they could reinstate 230008 into passenger service.
What price a coupling adapter to permit emergency tow-away by a 197?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Doesn't say much for "innovative" British trains in the 21st century.

Lurcheroo

So much for group standards!
Yep! Gone are the days of one coupler type being made for all.
Now, let me tell you where it gets really mad, 195’s can’t couple to 196/7’s at all.

Whilst 196’s and 197’s can couple mechanically they can’t electrically. There is a special mode on the TCMS to allow it but i was told it’s not allowed to be used.
Genius design.

eastwestdivide

Established Member

Thanks for the context. Makes some kind of sense of it all. But to echo the other comments, "my standard's better than your standard"!