• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - N.Wales-Manchester- 1st January 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshman

Established Member
I notice TfW is running RR buses between Chester and Manchester Piccadilly today, yet I can't find any signs of engineering works between Chester and Ordsall Lane as both Northern services to Leeds and via the Mid Cheshire line seem to be working normally.

Does anyone know if there are specific works in the Castlefield Corridor or at Manchester Piccadilly platforms 13/14 meaning these services have to be cancelled, or is it a case of TfW using the opportunity to preserve a few precious resources?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Looking at the open train times and real time trains there looks to be some engineering works between Warrington and Crewe on the WCML. This means Avanti services are diverting 1 service an hour via Manchester which fall in the path of the tfw service at around 50-55 min past at Piccadilly in both directions.

Welshman

Established Member
Ah yes!
Good detective work there!
I suppose TfW will be compensated for "lending" their paths from Parkside Junction/
Piccadilly to Avanti, and also relieve their resource crisis at the same time.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Much quicker to change into the Northern Victoria service (or travel via Crewe) than use the RRB.
LM/VT are still running to Liverpool, so the engineering work must be somewhere between Weaver Jn and Acton Grange.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Much quicker to change into the Northern Victoria service (or travel via Crewe) than use the RRB.
LM/VT are still running to Liverpool, so the engineering work must be somewhere between Weaver Jn and Acton Grange.

Just to the north of Weaver Jn

kieron

Established Member
Unless you use one of the stations between Chester and Warrington. Northern don't normally call at those, so they're not calling today.

I'm thinking, though. When the line to Manchester has been blocked on previous occasions, I've known TfW to run trains as far as Newton-le-Willows, and to run diverted Chester-Manchester trains via Northwich. They aren't today, though.

sw1ller

Established Member
Unless you use one of the stations between Chester and Warrington. Northern don't normally call at those, so they're not calling today.

I'm thinking, though. When the line to Manchester has been blocked on previous occasions, I've known TfW to run trains as far as Newton-le-Willows, and to run diverted Chester-Manchester trains via Northwich. They aren't today, though.

I’ve known TfW to run as far as Warrington BQ and turn round at Dallam, but I’ve not heard of them going as far as NLW. What dates would this be? Or are you talking about ATW days??

Status
Not open for further replies.