• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales Penalty Fares

RPI

Established Member
I couldn't see a thread for this already, seems TfW are introducing Penalty Fares in South Wales..... But at £20.00 or twice the single fare (I thought this was a mistake at first, but their website goes on to explain)

New TfW Penalty Fare zone​

We know that the vast majority of our customers pay their fares in full. It’s only a small minority who try to avoid paying their way. Penalty Fares are aimed at deterring unfair behaviour.

From Monday 4 March 2024, if travelling without a valid ticket for your journey on a TfW service within the new Penalty Fare zone between Carmarthen and Severn Tunnel Junction, you may have to pay a Penalty Fare (£20)* or twice the full single fare applicable to your journey, whichever is greater).

*This penalty may increase to £100 in the future (which would match the Penalty Fare currently applicable in England).

You must buy your ticket before you board. All stations in this Penalty Fare zone have ticket buying facilities. You can also buy tickets on the TfW app.

A Penalty Fare may be charged if you:

• Travel without a valid ticket
  • Travel in First Class with a Standard ticket
  • Are unable to produce an appropriate Railcard for a discounted ticket
  • Are aged 16 or over and travel on a child rate ticket
  • Travel beyond the destination on your ticket or on a train service where your ticket is not valid
Please note that we also operate a Penalty Fare zone between Shrewsbury and Birmingham International, this route is entirely within England and as such, is part of the English Penalty Fare scheme based on 2022 Penalty Fares Regulations Amendment legislation

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fandroid

Established Member
Are the Penalty Fare Regulations different in Wales? I'm wondering if the prompt payment discount applies

Brissle Girl

Established Member
What happen when the machines are not working at station ?
If there is no ticket office then you are entitled to board and buy a ticket from onboard train crew. I would take a photo of the machine as evidence, just to be on the safe side.