• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Manda2194

You'd have to sit any that could expire before any job offer. So if you sat in May 21 & Nov 22, I'd say definitely paper testing, computer testing would be fine but up to TfW I guess.

I was in a not too disimilar situation as my results were just over the 2 years and had to resit everything for TfW
I think i might email the OPC on this just to confirm. I dont mind doing the stage 1 testing again but i found stage 2 so much harder so i certainly dont fancy doing that again!

As far as we know are TFW the only ones that allow the tests for 2 years, I am sure i read elsewhere Northern and TPE are 3 years at least and most 5.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
It won’t be down to pressing once when you didn’t have to - I did once and passed and know others who did too.
I don’t know how it’s scored but its probably down to missing some changes or not acknowledging changes within a required ‘window’.
Consistency over the 30 minutes probably plays a part too - so you are as quick at the end of the test as you were at the start, maintaining concentration and reaction.
There is practice software you can purchase and having sat the test once you will know what to expect.

Good luck next time.
Indeed, accuracy and consistency are key. I believe if you start with quick reaction and get progressively slower then you're likely to fail even if you hit 100% accuracy.

Think of it as a 30 minute concentration window into how you would cope driving a train for 2hrs, of you seem to start to drop off, it's likely that would continue to get lower over time.

I think i might email the OPC on this just to confirm. I dont mind doing the stage 1 testing again but i found stage 2 so much harder so i certainly dont fancy doing that again!

As far as we know are TFW the only ones that allow the tests for 2 years, I am sure i read elsewhere Northern and TPE are 3 years at least and most 5.
I'm sure if you drop TfW a message they will respond, likely if the computer tests are in date they will be happy with that

Andrewep86

It won’t be down to pressing once when you didn’t have to - I did once and passed and know others who did too.
I don’t know how it’s scored but its probably down to missing some changes or not acknowledging changes within a required ‘window’.
Consistency over the 30 minutes probably plays a part too - so you are as quick at the end of the test as you were at the start, maintaining concentration and reaction.
There is practice software you can purchase and having sat the test once you will know what to expect.

Good luck next time.
Thank you

Saxon79

Got my computer tests on 14th March, other than the practice material what else can I do to help me? I don't play computer games anymore but I'm going to have a go at a bit of gaming for the 2 hand coordination practice, not sure what games my lad has that could help me. Is there any free stuff online anywhere other than the odd YouTube video?

mpfol

Hello just after a bit of advice. have just been told I’ve passed my mmi and computer tests so awaiting my dmi date. What was peoples experience of them and what practice shall I do in the lead up to the day. Thanks everyone

Jammy216

Got my computer tests on 14th March, other than the practice material what else can I do to help me? I don't play computer games anymore but I'm going to have a go at a bit of gaming for the 2 hand coordination practice, not sure what games my lad has that could help me. Is there any free stuff online anywhere other than the odd YouTube video?
I’m not sure if there is much you can do in the way of practice. On the day, have a good feel for the sensitivity and use the practice go to good effect (have a few goes without moving the ball to the end). Good luck.

Hello just after a bit of advice. have just been told I’ve passed my mmi and computer tests so awaiting my dmi date. What was peoples experience of them and what practice shall I do in the lead up to the day. Thanks everyone
Well done with the MMI. The DMI felt more relaxed in comparison. It’s like any other interview. As long as you research the company and have relatable experiences to aspects of driving a train, customer service, working shifts etc, you’ll be fine. I was a bag of nerves going in but they quickly settled. Good luck.

Last edited:

GalaxyDog

Congrats to everyone who's passed the first and second stages of the testing - I sat the Avanti Jan-April 2022 campaign and came so tantalisingly close, failing only one of the three cpu tests after having done everything else they had thrown at me January to April (the application, the home based SJT, the VSE circuit testing, the 3 x paper tests at Crewe and then falling at the 3 x CPU tests - only by one. I passed the Handheld coordination, and passed the ATVAT (photo flashing, mark out traffic lights etc), failing only on the RAVT (black squares). I had to have had Enhanced levels of passes on everything to get as far as I did, as this was for Avanti WC.

I now have an appointment in Cardiff for CPU and MMI with TfW. My question is this; I passed two of the three CPU tests, will I need to sit them all again, or would I just sit the one I previously failed before (if I pass this time!) and then do the MMI?

Many thanks. Best of luck to everyone else in a driver's campaign - if you get to the MMI, you are doing super well!

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Congrats to everyone who's passed the first and second stages of the testing - I sat the Avanti Jan-April 2022 campaign and came so tantalisingly close, failing only one of the three cpu tests after having done everything else they had thrown at me January to April (the application, the home based SJT, the VSE circuit testing, the 3 x paper tests at Crewe and then falling at the 3 x CPU tests - only by one. I passed the Handheld coordination, and passed the ATVAT (photo flashing, mark out traffic lights etc), failing only on the RAVT (black squares). I had to have had Enhanced levels of passes on everything to get as far as I did, as this was for Avanti WC.

I now have an appointment in Cardiff for CPU and MMI with TfW. My question is this; I passed two of the three CPU tests, will I need to sit them all again, or would I just sit the one I previously failed before (if I pass this time!) and then do the MMI?

Many thanks. Best of luck to everyone else in a driver's campaign - if you get to the MMI, you are doing super well!
Did you fail the RAVT or did you not meet enhanced? If you met national standard then you won't need to resit any, if you failed it then it's just that test to redo

GalaxyDog

Did you fail the RAVT or did you not meet enhanced? If you met national standard then you won't need to resit any, if you failed it then it's just that test to redo
Avanti wouldn't tell me. They just told me whether I'd passed each test - so two yes but the RAVT was a fail. They just told me I wasn't going any further and walked me out. Judging from the TfW email saying I've got computer tests and MMI, I must have not met national on the RAVT so I am going in on that basis. Good to know as I passed the hand eye and the photo flash tests.

D-Lo

Hi everyone. Passed my paper tests last week (TfW) but was late picking up the email for computer tests and was told all slots were filled :frown:
Does anyone know how long I’ll be waiting for more dates?

Saxon79

Hi everyone. Passed my paper tests last week (TfW) but was late picking up the email for computer tests and was told all slots were filled :frown:
Does anyone know how long I’ll be waiting for more dates?
I don't think you will be waiting too long maybe 4-6 weeks but that is just an estimate based on how long I waited when I didn't get on the paper tests 1st time around. I would imagine there is going to be some more tests in April. Well done on passing, your patience will pay off.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Avanti wouldn't tell me. They just told me whether I'd passed each test - so two yes but the RAVT was a fail. They just told me I wasn't going any further and walked me out. Judging from the TfW email saying I've got computer tests and MMI, I must have not met national on the RAVT so I am going in on that basis. Good to know as I passed the hand eye and the photo flash tests.
That's poor form from Avanti as they will know whether you met national standard as they have to input the scores for the national database regardless.

At least you know what to expect, and hopefully will be more at ease which should help you pass on the 2nd attempt.

RainDriver

I had my DMI in Chester and seem to have had a different experience to other's I've seen in here. It was quite an intense interview and the interviewers didn't seem interested in making me comfortable or settling my nerves. I completely understand the approach but it definitely caught me off guard after everyone I'd spoken to had told me it was relaxed and informal.

I'd prepare for questions on motivation for role as a train driver specifically and why not any other role on railway, customer service and how you can influence it as a driver and some scenarios around "what ifs..."

I feel like I'll be a lot more prepared if I get through again in future.

Last edited:

Dorian Grey

Hey was just wondering on day 2 assessments do you do the sjt after the 3 tests? Do they then give you a break after giving you your MMI questions and answers? (If I get that far!) Was just wondering since I can’t remember fully what the questions and answers were. For example ‘a time you worked to a high standard while encountering difficulties’ and ‘time you were relied upon to solve a difficult situation’ are similar but subtly different. I’m preparing alternative answers but checking if you get extra time to look through them? Thanks

RyanC87

Hey was just wondering on day 2 assessments do you do the sjt after the 3 tests? Do they then give you a break after giving you your MMI questions and answers? (If I get that far!) Was just wondering since I can’t remember fully what the questions and answers were. For example ‘a time you worked to a high standard while encountering difficulties’ and ‘time you were relied upon to solve a difficult situation’ are similar but subtly different. I’m preparing alternative answers but checking if you get extra time to look through them? Thanks
You do sjt first. Then 3 tests. Then you go into a room whilst they do the results.
You'll then be told if you passed or not. Depending on numbers you'll then go into mmi, you might get another wait here.
They give your sheets back to you after the 3 tests, so you'll have time to read them but can change your answers if you wish

L401CJF

Established Member
You do sjt first. Then 3 tests. Then you go into a room whilst they do the results.
You'll then be told if you passed or not. Depending on numbers you'll then go into mmi, you might get another wait here.
They give your sheets back to you after the 3 tests, so you'll have time to read them but can change your answers if you wish
For me they did the 3 tests and then the SJT, followed by a break then MMI.

GalaxyDog

Heads up, if you fail one but pass two of the cpu tests elsewhere, so you have to do a resit with tfW you have to do all three again. Not just the one.

Order of the day is SJT, the 3 x psychomet tests, break while the results are being processed, group split into pass and failures, fails go home, the passes then go into the MMI.

Velocity93

Good afternoon everyone,

I applied in September, and did my paper assessments, computer & SJT with MMI in Jan/Feb and week ago DMI.
I successfully passed each stage and I am now in the talent pool.
I am so proud to achieve this, and hope I have a medical (anxious about) and date to start soon.
Be devastated if the 2 years expire!

I literally prepared for the interviews myself doing my own research about the company and life/work experiences in my job is all safety critical. So it all felt straight forward.
Be yourself, confident, safety + follow rules / procs is extremely important.

Here to help.
Regards

Jammy216

Good afternoon everyone,

I applied in September, and did my paper assessments, computer & SJT with MMI in Jan/Feb and week ago DMI.
I successfully passed each stage and I am now in the talent pool.
I am so proud to achieve this, and hope I have a medical (anxious about) and date to start soon.
Be devastated if the 2 years expire!

I literally prepared for the interviews myself doing my own research about the company and life/work experiences in my job is all safety critical. So it all felt straight forward.
Be yourself, confident, safety + follow rules / procs is extremely important.

Here to help.
Regards
Well done. It’s a great feeling to get it all sorted and I’m sure the medical will be fine. I was anxious too but there was no need to be. To give you an idea, a week after passing my DMI I was contacted and offered a start date so it’s moved pretty quick for me. ( 1.5 months from DMI result to start).

Last edited:

Plodster

medical is nothing to worry about
Height Weight - BMI
Eyesight
Hearing
ECG
Blood Pressure
Drugs screening
Alcohol screening

A few general health questions

BMI is nothing to worry about mine was 32
If you wear glasses - get an eye test and take your prescription with you

Very unlikely the 2 years will expire the way things are going at present in terms of recruitment

Velocity93

Yeah, it’s the
Blood pressure test I get it go up when someone tests it (white coat syndrome haha)
And the ECG I did one last year with my job and it came back abnormal (low resting heart rate due to high levels of fitness I do) maybe I should take my print out of that with me incase.
Regards

mpfol

Thanks for everyone’s messages I’ve got my dmi on Friday so fingers crossed it all goes ok I’m just going over all the areas everyone had advised and revising as much as I can.

Saxon79

Just some advice regarding the MMI. I know that it is based on answers we gave at paper tests but what else can I do to prepare? will anything else be asked? I know safety is the keyword on the railway.

Badge3226

Just some advice regarding the MMI. I know that it is based on answers we gave at paper tests but what else can I do to prepare? will anything else be asked? I know safety is the keyword on the railway.

So much is made of the MMI and I don’t understand why. It’s an interview, nothing more nothing less, only difference being that they may (will) ask you to elaborate further into your answer.

You’re right that safety is key… Give them answers (if possible) that allow you to give detailed examples of experience with safety critical work, shift work and unsociable start/finish times, lone working, work requiring absolute concentration etc. I came from a railway job after a career in the armed forces so naturally had a lot of experience to recall, but one question where I clearly failed to elaborate enough, I found that the interviewer essentially prompted me with leading questions for more.

Stay calm and relax, if your answers are true and accurate, you will be able to elaborate further with ease. My other tip would be to use the time between finishing the tests and starting the MMI (40-60m) to go over your answers in your head in prep for the MMI… I was adamant I may have failed one of the computer test so couldn’t concentrate fully on my MMI prep, so try not to do that

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
So much is made of the MMI and I don’t understand why. It’s an interview, nothing more nothing less, only difference being that they may (will) ask you to elaborate further into your answer.

You’re right that safety is key… Give them answers (if possible) that allow you to give detailed examples of experience with safety critical work, shift work and unsociable start/finish times, lone working, work requiring absolute concentration etc. I came from a railway job after a career in the armed forces so naturally had a lot of experience to recall, but one question where I clearly failed to elaborate enough, I found that the interviewer essentially prompted me with leading questions for more.

Stay calm and relax, if your answers are true and accurate, you will be able to elaborate further with ease. My other tip would be to use the time between finishing the tests and starting the MMI (40-60m) to go over your answers in your head in prep for the MMI… I was adamant I may have failed one of the computer test so couldn’t concentrate fully on my MMI prep, so try not to do that
The reason the MMI is asked by almost everyone is it forms part of the phsycometric testing and the 2 lives, unlike any other interview you will probably ever face.

A lot hangs on it, whereas a DMI you can sit a thousand times if required.

Also, depending on where you are sitting the MMI (OPC Watford, I'm looking at you!), It can be a very intense interview where they really do try and trip you up like an interrogation. Thankfully TfW is much more chilled and like a traditional interview.

L401CJF

Established Member
The reason the MMI is asked by almost everyone is it forms part of the phsycometric testing and the 2 lives, unlike any other interview you will probably ever face.

Also, depending on where you are sitting the MMI (OPC Watford, I'm looking at you!), It can be a very intense interview where they really do try and trip you up like an interrogation. Thankfully TfW is much more chilled and like a traditional interview.
I sat the MMI I'm Watford a few years ago with an OPC assessor and it was very intense. I passed, but it wasn't pleasant.

I sat it with TfW earlier in the year and it was really chilled out in comparison, almost enjoyable. The 2 women hosting the PC and MMI session in Cardiff were really lovely and kept everybody at ease.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I sat the MMI I'm Watford a few years ago with an OPC assessor and it was very intense. I passed, but it wasn't pleasant.

I sat it with TfW earlier in the year and it was really chilled out in comparison, almost enjoyable. The 2 women hosting the PC and MMI session in Cardiff were really lovely and kept everybody at ease.
That does seem to be a common feeling in here. I had 2 people in my OPC MMI, was like quick fire questioning and constant for about 90 minutes.

Passed both, but would rather the TfW approach if I need to do so again

Saxon79

That's why I asked I don't want to be caught out in anyway if I get to do the MMI. I can't even remember what questions I was given at paper tests. I know they give you the sheet back but I wish I could just remember then I can prepare more thoroughly.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
That's why I asked I don't want to be caught out in anyway if I get to do the MMI. I can't even remember what questions I was given at paper tests. I know they give you the sheet back but I wish I could just remember then I can prepare more thoroughly.
As long as the examples given were true situations you've been in then the 30-40 minutes you get after the computer testing should be fine to bring it back to the front of your memory. Don't fret over it, they will push for more detail if needed and then ask questions if they don't understand fully.