• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Badge3226

I don’t think it’s as simple as ‘first come first served’… I say this as I replied after several on here say they replied, yet I got a date when others didn’t. Which depot you are going for will play a part, in my paper tests we were told straight that Holyhead were getting preference for computer tests before Chester and Crewe. Also with ‘rumours’ of our applications being graded/scored, maybe some get priority for tests over others? Who knows… I could of course be wrong.

I also made it clear I was available for any and all dates/times but also gave a preference. It’s a very competitive and highly desirable job, and with opportunities few and far between, it’s worth getting on any possible date/time and worrying about how you’re going to get out of work/other commitments later on

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RLI

I replied to the Jan 2023 part 1 tests about two hours after I'd had the email. Not heard either way yet, but there we go. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be.

I don’t think it’s as simple as ‘first come first served’… I say this as I replied after several on here say they replied, yet I got a date when others didn’t. Which depot you are going for will play a part, in my paper tests we were told straight that Holyhead were getting preference for computer tests before Chester and Crewe. Also with ‘rumours’ of our applications being graded/scored, maybe some get priority for tests over others? Who knows… I could of course be wrong.

I also made it clear I was available for any and all dates/times but also gave a preference. It’s a very competitive and highly desirable job, and with opportunities few and far between, it’s worth getting on any possible date/time and worrying about how you’re

Last edited:

Rigvon

Hi all,
Read a few posts about people missing out on paper assessments dates due to missing the email or not replying quickly enough. I annoyingly have just noticed an invitation to 3 dates for paper assessments has been sat in my spam (thanks to Gmail) since the 16th December... so frustrating and kicking myself. I know I'll have no chance of getting on to one of the offered dates now, but I wondered if anyone else has had anything similar happen and will my application have been removed completely now....
Gutted
They’re recruiting so many that you’ll stay in the process, just email and explain they had gone to spam and to invite you to the next

eSTeeSCe

I also made it clear I was available for any and all dates/times but also gave a preference. It’s a very competitive and highly desirable job, and with opportunities few and far between, it’s worth getting on any possible date/time and worrying about how you’re going to get out of work/other commitments later on
Totally agree. On my invite to paper tests, it was about 2hrs until I could reply and I get the dates I wanted.
When receiving invite to computer tests, I was able to reply within 20 minutes and got my second choice of dates. This is for Chester which I understand is in high demand.
I think the applications probably are graded or prioritised, I hope that isn’t insulting. Anyone who gets through the papersift has already achieved something incredible!!!

Ive passed my final Intv and am now waiting for my medical. I’ve been in a talent pool before with another TOC and eventually timed out after taking an unrelated job elsewhere, so I’m not counting my chickens until I have something more solid to get giddy about.

Good luck all.

karl grindrod

Totally agree. On my invite to paper tests, it was about 2hrs until I could reply and I get the dates I wanted.
When receiving invite to computer tests, I was able to reply within 20 minutes and got my second choice of dates. This is for Chester which I understand is in high demand.
I think the applications probably are graded or prioritised, I hope that isn’t insulting. Anyone who gets through the papersift has already achieved something incredible!!!

Ive passed my final Intv and am now waiting for my medical. I’ve been in a talent pool before with another TOC and eventually timed out after taking an unrelated job elsewhere, so I’m not counting my chickens until I have something more solid to get giddy about.

Good luck all.
Congratulations on passing your final interview.... Great achievement!! I have my DMI on the 4th. How did you find it? Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Faff81

Congratulations on passing your final interview.... Great achievement!! I have my DMI on the 4th. How did you find it? Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Know why you want the roll and what you can bring to the roll. Research the company. Know your general interview scenarios and practice them just like you did for MMI. Relax and be yourself, it’s all about you.
Well done for getting this far and good luck.

eSTeeSCe

The panel of two were both very good and put me at easy, although I felt pretty calm anyway.
It’s difficult to reply about what I was asked, as I suspect they may have set their questions out based on my previous railway experience which goes back to 2000.
What I would say, is study TfW past and future, read google, there is a wealth of knowledge available on here, look at traction types and routes that Chester drivers sign.
Think about the type of topics discussed at MMI and in your application, then maybe have some examples up your sleeve.
Sleep well the night before, be cool (not too cool), be clear and concise, ask for a moment or two to answer a question if you need to, rather than blurting something out.
Good luck and try to enjoy it.

karl grindrod

Know why you want the roll and what you can bring to the roll. Research the company. Know your general interview scenarios and practice them just like you did for MMI. Relax and be yourself, it’s all about you.
Well done for getting this far and good luck.
Cheers, I really appreciate the advice. I've been doing a lot of practice and study for it. Fingers crossed it goes well and we'll all be wearing that uniform next year!! All the best for new year.

The panel of two were both very good and put me at easy, although I felt pretty calm anyway.
It’s difficult to reply about what I was asked, as I suspect they may have set their questions out based on my previous railway experience which goes back to 2000.
What I would say, is study TfW past and future, read google, there is a wealth of knowledge available on here, look at traction types and routes that Chester drivers sign.
Think about the type of topics discussed at MMI and in your application, then maybe have some examples up your sleeve.
Sleep well the night before, be cool (not too cool), be clear and concise, ask for a moment or two to answer a question if you need to, rather than blurting something out.
Good luck and try to enjoy it.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it!! My back ground is fire service, so sounds like I'll have a slightly different interview to yours. I've been studying routes, TFW projects, traction, skills and qualities of a train driver, and day to day duties. Hopefully I'm on the right lines!! Thanks for the advice and all the best for me year!!

Last edited:

Rigvon

Yes best of luck to you today

DMI date set for 16th of January! All a bit real now…

Last edited:

karl grindrod

Good luck today!!!
Cheers!! I think it went well, very professional guys who took the interview. Was a great experience... a lot of questions to answer!!

Yes best of luck to you today

DMI date set for 16th of January! All a bit real now…
Thank you!! There's a lot of questions to answer, had to ask them to repeat the question a few times so I stayed on track with my answers. Hope yours goes really well.... and the best of luck!!

Rigvon

Cheers!! I think it went well, very professional guys who took the interview. Was a great experience... a lot of questions to answer!!

Thank you!! There's a lot of questions to answer, had to ask them to repeat the question a few times so I stayed on track with my answers. Hope yours goes really well.... and the best of luck!!
Glad it went well. What kind of things did they ask?

Did they say how long until you find out the result? I have everything crossed for you.

karl grindrod

Glad it went well. What kind of things did they ask?

Did they say how long until you find out the result? I have everything crossed for you.
I find out in about a week. They asked customer service questions, conflict questions, they want to know about you and what you know about transport for wales.

Rigvon

I find out in about a week. They asked customer service questions, conflict questions, they want to know about you and what you know about transport for wales.
Ah that’s great. That gives me a good idea of scenarios to prep. Really hope you get positive news back

Tevion539

Good luck all - I'll be starting as a guard tomorrow out of cardiff (off topic slightly I know,) I am considering being a driver in a few years but I suppose that all depends on if services are made DOO :lol: From what I have been reading and discussing with my trainer, TfW seems to be an extremely good company to work for. I hope everyone gets the answer they're hoping for!

karl grindrod

Just failed my DMI! Anyone else think it's a bit out of order that they won't provide you with feedback? Never known it when you get to the final interview for a position and they don't provide you with feedback.

Rigvon

Just failed my DMI! Anyone else think it's a bit out of order that they won't provide you with feedback? Never known it when you get to the final interview for a position and they don't provide you with feedback.
Oh gosh I’m so sorry. How did you feel it went? It’s awful to be left guessing and not much motivation to reapply if there’s no feedback to work on areas

karl grindrod

Oh gosh I’m so sorry. How did you feel it went? It’s awful to be left guessing and not much motivation to reapply if there’s no feedback to work on areas
Cheers. I felt it went well and I gave good, solid answers. They said during my interview that Google maps said my address is 1hr 30mins away from the depot so I'm putting it down to that. Although it has never taken me more than an hour to get to chester by car!! So Google maps has done me I reckon!! But would be nice to recieve feedback to confirm any areas I could have developed answers too!!

Sawasdee

Cheers. I felt it went well and I gave good, solid answers. They said during my interview that Google maps said my address is 1hr 30mins away from the depot so I'm putting it down to that. Although it has never taken me more than an hour to get to chester by car!! So Google maps has done me I reckon!! But would be nice to recieve feedback to confirm any areas I could have developed answers too!!
Did you not check your commute time on Google maps before applying? It's something they're very strict on and you could have saved yourself wasting one of your two chances at this process. Bacup - Chester was never going to show under an hour on Google maps.

karl grindrod

Did you not check your commute time on Google maps before applying? It's something they're very strict on and you could have saved yourself wasting one of your two chances at this process. Bacup - Chester was never going to show under an hour on Google maps.
I did check it, but it's massively inaccurate.... it's never taken me more than an hour to get to Chester!! You can take a DMI as many times as you like... it's the paper tests, computer tests and MMI you can only do twice. I've seen it all as experience and my scores are on the data base for 2 years, I've applied for other TOC's so hopefully I'll have better luck there!! Should still provide you with feedback though if you make it to the final interview stage.

Rigvon

I did check it, but it's massively inaccurate.... it's never taken me more than an hour to get to Chester!! You can take a DMI as many times as you like... it's the paper tests, computer tests and MMI you can only do twice. I've seen it all as experience and my scores are on the data base for 2 years, I've applied for other TOC's so hopefully I'll have better luck there!! Should still provide you with feedback though if you make it to the final interview stage.
Agree. It’s such an intensive process it must feel really difficult to exit it without something to go off

Rigvon

Had my DMI this morning. Went as well as I could have expected but it’s really hard to have an indication if I did enough or not. The next week will be excruciating waiting to find out

Leavesontrack

Had my DMI this morning. Went as well as I could have expected but it’s really hard to have an indication if I did enough or not. The next week will be excruciating waiting to find out
was it a long one? you have done well to get this far. fingers croissed for you..

jal2610

Hi Rigvon

I am waiting for a date for my DMI currently. Were the questions fairly standard interview ones or were there any that were out of the ordinary that you remember? Not sure if i should do a bit more prep around techincal questions relating to the job? I am prepping for as many questions as possible but any help would my much appreciated!

All the best with your application.

cheers

Rigvon

Hi Rigvon

I am waiting for a date for my DMI currently. Were the questions fairly standard interview ones or were there any that were out of the ordinary that you remember? Not sure if i should do a bit more prep around techincal questions relating to the job? I am prepping for as many questions as possible but any help would my much appreciated!

All the best with your application.

cheers
There were about 15 questions broken down into three sections. Some similar to MMI where you’re asked to give an example of a time where ……

There’s nothing technical involved but I’d say do as much research as you can into the role itself.