• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales using mid-cheshire line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any truth behind TfW no longer using the route to Manchester via WBQ? It's on Wikipedia with no sources cited so I'm prepared to take it with a pinch of salt but it's entirely inconceivable.

TfW drivers sign the route, the 0336 CTR-MIA runs non-stop on the mid-cheshire reversing at MAN.

If anyone could enlighten me further that would be great!
Screenshot_20200420_205757.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
That route can be difficult also due to pathing between Stockport and Mancheter Picc. It is often used for Engineering diverions on Sundays but not on Saturdays in recent times.

cle

Established Member
This would be for the Llandudno service? Fine for Chester and beyond, if not quite slow (I'd assume a Stockport call - any others like Alty?) - but the stations to Warrington and Chester would critically miss this service (covid aside) - would something else run from Victoria to cover these calls?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Is there any truth behind TfW no longer using the route to Manchester via WBQ? It's on Wikipedia with no sources cited so I'm prepared to take it with a pinch of salt but it's entirely inconceivable.

TfW drivers sign the route, the 0336 CTR-MIA runs non-stop on the mid-cheshire reversing at MAN.

If anyone could enlighten me further that would be great!
View attachment 76850

1D49 0032 Manchester Picc to Chester runs this route also. Have you got a link to the Wiki site ?

RTT has all services as normal via Bank Quay. I’d be very surprised if this gets re-routed as that corridor is extremely busy at all times of day, happily now helped with the Northern service from Victoria

Eccles1983

On Moderation
No chance it gets routed for the mid Cheshire line solely.

Only one link at chester signs it. No Junction or Holyhead drivers sign it at all.

It's nonsense.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Considering the excuses given with not providing a second train per hour from Greenbank and Knutsford to Manchester due to pathing etc, I don't think randomly sending the TfW service that way would go down well unless it was going to pick up some of those calls.

Additionally I don't think Runcorn East would appreciate losing the vast majority of its service. You'd need to then stop the Leeds-Chester pretty much everywhere Warrington-Chester as per the peaks.

Doveymain158

Victoria has been mentioned also complete nonsense. Just reverse the TPE Airport-Newcastle and Airport-Middlesbrough in the trainshed that would free up 2 wasted paths. Why does TPE need to serve Piccadilly and Victoria on the same service dull idea.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I don't think TFW have Access Rights for the Mid-Cheshire stations. A bureaucratic exercise with the Regulator would have to be undertaken before any implementation could happen

Considering the excuses given with not providing a second train per hour from Greenbank and Knutsford to Manchester due to pathing etc, I don't think randomly sending the TfW service that way would go down well unless it was going to pick up some of those calls.

Additionally I don't think Runcorn East would appreciate losing the vast majority of its service. You'd need to then stop the Leeds-Chester pretty much everywhere Warrington-Chester as per the peaks.
It did strike me as unlikely.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

The Wiki article linked doesn't mention anything about rerouting services from the Warrington BQ route to the CLC via Northwich.
I wouldn't trust the article very far as it mentions Tier 1 electrification and has a number of factual errors (eg the Warrington route was not built by the LNWR, and northwards from Warrington was not the GJ etc).
The link to the similar article on the Mid Cheshire line makes no mention of the diversion either.
It does mention electrification again, and has the absurd idea that the Northwich route was once one of the busiest double-track lines in the UK.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I would suggest its equine excrement, there are too many constraints to make it work.

DC2001

The Wiki article linked doesn't mention anything about rerouting services from the Warrington BQ route to the CLC via Northwich.
I wouldn't trust the article very far as it mentions Tier 1 electrification and has a number of factual errors (eg the Warrington route was not built by the LNWR, and northwards from Warrington was not the GJ etc).
The link to the similar article on the Mid Cheshire line makes no mention of the diversion either.
It does mention electrification again, and has the absurd idea that the Northwich route was once one of the busiest double-track lines in the UK.
I edited that section of the article last night as it was unsourced and there is no suggestion that it is correct- that's why there is no mention of TfW services rerouting via the Mid-Cheshire line now.

cle

Established Member
I think Manchester to Sale/Alty was once very busy, of course. Definitely the busiest single commuter line in the north. Beyond Alty, not more than other lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.