• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travel advice during strike action taking place in July 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm travelling on Monday 24th after the Saturday strike. I'm guessing I could still be seriously affected
TOC dependent of course but most seem to be able to run basically a full service the day after and certainly two days after. I think it was trickier when the signallers were out as well as that meant trains out of position whereas now that's less of an issue so the service can be recovered very quickly.

TOC dependent of course but most seem to be able to run basically a full service the day after and certainly two days after. I think it was trickier when the signallers were out as well as that meant trains out of position whereas now that's less of an issue so the service can be recovered very quickly.
Thanks for that. Looks like only my dundee to Edinburgh portion affected. Hopefully I can change room from Dundee to Edinburgh and travel day before

LAX54

Established Member
Guessing G.A will be a late start / earlier finish on strike days, but a near 'normal' service during the day

Established Member
How much will the 21st be affected? I am due to travel from Jersey to the Derby via Poole. I am assuming a relatively normal service from mid morning going off EMR on my local line. Maybe busier due to being in the middle of two strike days.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How much will the 21st be affected? I am due to travel from Jersey to the Derby via Poole. I am assuming a relatively normal service from mid morning going off EMR on my local line. Maybe busier due to being in the middle of two strike days.
Good question; I'm due to travel York to Preston to Carlisle on Friday 21st; anyone got any experience of previous strike occasions on these routes?

Also on Sunday 23rd I am hoping to do Carlisle to Leeds to York ok on Northern; is the 0925 from Carlisle likely to run or would it be a later start?

Established Member
Well that's a blow to my Scotland holiday plans. I'll have to spend my .only abroad again next year instead. Hopefully I can still do some of my trip. I'm travelling on Monday 24th after the Saturday strike. I'm guessing I could still be seriously affected
A normal service should run on 24th

winks

SWR services will run on strike days however most services will stop at 1900 or earlier so there will be opportunity to travel during the day. Unless of course you want to get to Portsmouth or Weymouth.

footprints

Is there a possibility of a limited service on Avanti /LNER ? I m dude to travel on sat 22nd from London Euston to Inverness via Glasgow.
Avanti typically run one train per hour from Euston to Glasgow, Birmingham and Liverpool and two per hour to Manchester on RMT strike days, though first trains depart slightly later than usual and last trains depart mid to late afternoon (early afternoon for Glasgow).

Drogba11CFC

Winchester City are at Cribbs on the 29th, am I right in assuming that services to Bristol will run?

If I have to take the train, I have booked the local Premier Inn just in case.

TheLastMinute

What service level can be expected on GWR in the Bristol/Avon//Somerset area on Sat 29th?

I would expect similar to what's been operated previously. From memory, the service during the day was as below, finishing late afternoon:

• Hourly Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads, exended to Plymouth every other hour
  • Hourly Paddington to Cardiff
  • Hourly Bristol Temple Meads to Plymouth local service
  • Hourly Westbury to Cardiff via Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway

General Zod

Can anyone remember when the first train from Eus departed for Glasgow during the last strike ? What are the prospects of me getting into Glasgow before 3pm on strike day ? Hoping to catch 1507 Scotrail from Queen St to Inverness. I'm due to catch 0736 Eus - Glc which arrives into GLC at 1308

Last edited:

Stew27005

Hi all,
I'm due to travel on afternoon of thursday 20th crosscountry from southampton to manchester for the test match on friday. Anyone got any thoughts on what might run on the 20th please?
Thank you.

Russel

Will the overtime ban have much of an effect on Avanti?

Looking at traveling from Penrith to Crewe on the 5th July.

I would expect similar to what's been operated previously. From memory, the service during the day was as below, finishing late afternoon:

• Hourly Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads, exended to Plymouth every other hour
  • Hourly Paddington to Cardiff
  • Hourly Bristol Temple Meads to Plymouth local service
  • Hourly Westbury to Cardiff via Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway
Thanks very much
Might just about be able to fulfil my plan then

Me again!
Need to Get to London for Newhaven Nonsense Tour on 22nd. Just wondering what the Service is likely to be:
Northampton to Euston
Bedford: Thameslink to London (Back up Plan!)
Cheers in advance Folks!

westv

Established Member
I was expecting a reduced service on the afternoon of 19th on LNER but they seem to be running a normal service. Is that likely to change?

TheLastMinute

I was expecting a reduced service on the afternoon of 19th on LNER but they seem to be running a normal service. Is that likely to change?
Almost certainly as the stike timetables have not yet been published. Replanning a service is not the work of moment, even for smaller operators.

General Zod

I have to no choice but to travel on a RMT strike day and the journey is to Inverness. Splt tickets, London Euston - Glasgow Central and Glasgow Queen St. - Inverness. Avanti West Coast will run a redeuced and ammended timetable on the day but Scotrail will not be affected. If I cannot rech Glasgow in time to make my connection to Inverness will my ticket be valid on the next train or will I be penalised for travelling on the strike day and have to but a new ticket ( as Scotrail services are unaffected) ?

miklcct

On Moderation
What services can I expect on the strike days (22th or 29th) at 10 pm on the coast? Location is flexible along Weymouth to Margate but I need walk-up transport as I can't make any commitment until the day.

TheLastMinute

What services can I expect on the strike days (22th or 29th) at 10 pm on the coast? Location is flexible along Weymouth to Margate but I need walk-up transport as I can't make any commitment until the day.
Unsure about Southern as their webpage is unclear, but both SWR and GWR are finishing all their services by 1900 on strike days.

westv

Established Member
It seems to be a normal service

I'm travelling from Edinburgh to King's cross on 2nd August and then Paddington to Taunton. Seats are booked in first on both. Will the overtime ban mean possible changes for my wife and I? We don't mind too much if we have to take different times but don't want to miss out on a seat and our first class bit.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm travelling from Edinburgh to King's cross on 2nd August and then Paddington to Taunton. Seats are booked in first on both. Will the overtime ban mean possible changes for my wife and I? We don't mind too much if we have to take different times but don't want to miss out on a seat and our first class bit.

Hard to say, I think during the most recent ASLEF overtime ban the only advertised change for long distance GWR services was the removal of the Night Riviera. LNER I don't think have advertised any changes. So I would suggest just keeping an eye out for on the day disruption as obviously if there's a shortage of drivers on the day that can't be covered using rostered 'spare' drivers then a cancellation is the likely result.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much but nothing is certain in life!

Status
Not open for further replies.