• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travel between London Main line stns

Status
Not open for further replies.

dggar

On Friday I am travelling from Manchester to Fleet via Euston and Waterloo. My ticket is a standard off peak single From "Manchester Stns" to "Fleet" route "via London". and I assume this allows me to use the tube between Euston and Waterloo.

Am I allowed to break the Tube journey, as there is a shop on Tottenham Court Road that I would like to visit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
There is a page on the national rail website which states that you can finish your journey short but cannot reenter. Perhaps you could have this up on your phone in case of problems.

I do not know what LU gateline members of staff are instructed to do if a customer turns up without [what they deem to be] a valid ticket. I am not sure if they can issue penalty fares or not. However, if in the event of having problems I would simply explain that you were of the understanding you could finish your journey early but not reenter. If that fails then say you will return to the platform and finish your journey to Waterloo on the underground.

Camden

Established Member
On Friday I am travelling from Manchester to Fleet via Euston and Waterloo. My ticket is a standard off peak single From "Manchester Stns" to "Fleet" route "via London". and I assume this allows me to use the tube between Euston and Waterloo.

Am I allowed to break the Tube journey, as there is a shop on Tottenham Court Road that I would like to visit.

The simplest thing for you to do would be to tap in at Euston tube station with your Oyster (or contactless debit card if you don't have one) and tap out at Tottenham Court Road, and likewise from Tottenham Court Road to Waterloo.

ie. just pay for the tube journey.

Or, if you wanted to do that even cheaper get the 73 or 390 bus from Euston, tapping in. Taking advantage of the new Hopper fare you'd have about 35 to 40 minutes to do what you needed to do on Tottenham Court Road before you needed to tap in for your next bus (the 176) to Waterloo in order to pay just the one fare

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I am not sure if they can issue penalty fares or not.

RPIs certainly can, but of course if you don't pass the barrier you haven't broken your journey and so a PF is not due. You can always, if the argument is going nowhere, continue your journey to Waterloo and go back again on another ticket/Oyster/contactless if that happens.

I had an issue at Regents Park along those lines. In the end I said something like "well, I'm not going to pay a penalty, because I can just get back on and carry on to Euston, so whatever happens you aren't going to get any extra money, so why not just let me out so I can have a nice walk in the sunshine instead?" After a bit of a "hmm" moment this convinced them with the classic "just this once" saying.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The walk from TCR to Waterloo isn't all that far, and is fairly pleasant (other than the hoardes of tourists)

gray1404

Established Member
I personally would get on the underground at Euston using my ticket held that includes the transfer. Chances are you will be fine at TCR. Most staff apply the rules correctly. Then I'd walk from TCR to Waterloo ??????

PeterC

Established Member
Depends on what end of Tottenham Court Road the OP is planning to travel to. Alighting at TCR might put him right outside the front door or might have him walking half way back to Euston.

Status
Not open for further replies.