• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travel from Chesham to Aylesbury via BZ9 with Two Together Railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward Watkin

Oh for a joined-up ticketing system!

Yesterday we travelled from Chesham LUL station to Aylesbury, leaving Chesham at 0909, so initially peak time. However, because we changed at Chalfont and Latimer onto a Chiltern Railways train which left Amersham (hence entering NR territory) at 0932, our Two Together railcard would have been valid AIUI. Unfortunately the LUL ticket machine didn't offer the option to use a Two Together Railcard in conjunction with an off-peak boundary zone 9 to Aylesbury; the button for that particular Railcard was greyed out, presumably as it was before 0930, although the ticket I was trying to purchase would have had been valid at the time I wanted to use it. Am I missing something, or was this just a shortcoming or an unexpectedly complicated transaction for the system to process?

Regards, Edward W

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hkstudent

Established Member

Yesterday we travelled from Chesham LUL station to Aylesbury, leaving Chesham at 0909, so initially peak time. However, because we changed at Chalfont and Latimer onto a Chiltern Railways train which left Amersham (hence entering NR territory) at 0932, our Two Together railcard would have been valid AIUI. Unfortunately the LUL ticket machine didn't offer the option to use a Two Together Railcard in conjunction with an off-peak boundary zone 9 to Aylesbury; the button for that particular Railcard was greyed out, presumably as it was before 0930, although the ticket I was trying to purchase would have had been valid at the time I wanted to use it. Am I missing something, or was this just a shortcoming or an unexpectedly complicated transaction for the system to process?

Regards, Edward W
First thing, did you press for two tickets during the purchase?
Of course, I would suggest photo the rail ticket you purchased at Chesham / Chalfont & Latimer and call TfL (or through web form) to request a refund of the difference in fare.

Last edited:

RJ

Established Member

Regards, Edward W

If I understand correctly you wanted to buy Two Together discounted tickets from Amersham to Aylesbury from a TVM at Chesham before 0909?

If they allowed Two Together discounts to be obtained at a time before they become valid, people who haven't pre-researched ticketing hacks to save money will just use the discount for immediate travel then when they come to grief will criticise TfL for letting them buy a ticket they couldn't use.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Should be easy to pop up a warning and then anyone using it incorrectly doesn't have a leg to stand on (as they must agree to the terms to proceed). Then TVMs can offer more tickets with more flexibility.

philthetube

Established Member
You need to buy your ticket/s to Amersham and then pay for the Aylesbury section at the end of your journey, This would be your first opportunity to pay and so should be fine.

njr001

Just to add to the above, Peak Paper tickets Chesham to Amersham are £4.90 each whereas Oyster / Contactless is £1.70. With this journey I would suggest starting with Oyster or contactless at Chesham when you changed at Chalfont & Latimer taking the Met service due to depart at 0922 to Amersham then touching out on the platform Oyster readers at Amersham and then taking the 0932 Chiltern service to Aylesbury.

Edward Watkin

First thing, did you press for two tickets during the purchase?
Of course, I would suggest photo the rail ticket you purchased at Chesham / Chalfont & Latimer and call TfL (or through web form) to request a refund of the difference in fare.
Thanks hkstudent, for your prompt reply. I didn't seem to get the opportunity to purchase more than one ticket; I had to undertake two separate transactions. My next step is exactly as you suggest; send copies to TfL. I appreciate your help!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I don't think the ticket machine at Chesham will sell a ticket from Amersham, nor at an invalid time as you found out for yourself. Due to the time restriction on your Railcard, it isn't possible to do this on one ticket at the cheapest rate, so as suggested above, use Oyster/contactless to get to Amersham. In case the ticket machine at Amersham doesn't sell you the required ticket in time to catch the 0932, I suggest that you download the Chiltern app (https://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/new-chiltern-app) and purchase e-tickets for the second half of your journey beyond Amersham, in which case you can do so in plenty of time and can remain on the platform.

There is no such thing as Boundary Zone 9. Boundary zones only exist between 2 and 6. Anything outside that area will need to be to/from named stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.