• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travel from Horsham to London Moorgate area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingee

Hello,
My husband has had no choice but to take a job in London Moorgate since being made redundant.
The problem is that with the price of travel we are even worse off financially, and at present he is riding a motorcycle into work- not safe in bad weather.
I’ve been looking at the map to see if he could travel into zone two then walk or cycle for up to half an hour- anything that can get the cost of the commute down if he were to use public transport.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
G

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
The savings from doing that don't look huge - only around £10 a week difference on 7-day season for Clapham Junction compared to one for London Bridge/Victoria.

telstarbox

Established Member
And quite an awkward journey. Meanwhile the Thameslink trains don't stop anywhere in Zone 2 after East Croydon.

Personally I'd just go straight to City Thameslink or Farringdon even if it costs a bit more, and save the time.

Raj

And quite an awkward journey. Meanwhile the Thameslink trains don't stop anywhere in Zone 2 after East Croydon.

Personally I'd just go straight to City Thameslink or Farringdon even if it costs a bit more, and save the time.

I agree.. Moorgate is pretty much right in the middle of zone 1 and would be really really time consuming to try going by cycle from zone 2. Cycling probably involves additional travel risk in london which you were looking to avoid in the first place while using the motorcycle.

Joe Paxton

Established Member

Just so it's clear for the OP, their husband does not need to buy a Travelcard season ticket to go to either of these stations, but rather just a rail-only season ticket. Then they can walk over to Moorgate instead of getting the Underground (it's not far), so saving money this way.

A monthly ticket is £401.30 versus £496.20 for the Travelcard.

(Ask for the destination to be 'London Thameslink', which covers travel to all the central London Thameslink stations from London Bridge (or Elephant & Castle) up to St Pancras.)

Veteran Member
Cannon St is significantly nearer to Moorgate than Farringdon so I would go for a London Terminals season; this is valid at CST and City TL but not Farringdon.

Is there a relatively safe biking route from HRH towards London which he could use, parking at a station on the outskirts? And only use train throughout when the weather turns worse?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Is there a relatively safe biking route from HRH towards London which he could use, parking at a station on the outskirts? And only use train throughout when the weather turns worse?
I doubt the saving would be significant enough to make it a worthwhile option.

Veteran Member
I doubt the saving would be significant enough to make it a worthwhile option.
That is a fair point, as Horsham seasons are priced at around three times the normal return fare (whereas Leatherhead is about x4).

Gingee

Thank you all- you are all really knowledgable, I’ll follow up your suggestions.
All the best,
G

JBuchananGB

I notice that all the train routes from Horsham to Cannon Street require a change at London Bridge, taking 17 minutes including waiting for the connection. It is 1 mile to walk from London Bridge station to Moorgate station, do if hubby is up for a bit of a walk he could join the stampede across London Bridge in the morning and walk that bit.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I notice that all the train routes from Horsham to Cannon Street require a change at London Bridge, taking 17 minutes including waiting for the connection. It is 1 mile to walk from London Bridge station to Moorgate station, do if hubby is up for a bit of a walk he could join the stampede across London Bridge in the morning and walk that bit.
True, though trains are every 2-3 minutes in the morning peak, and once passengers know the layout of the station the interchange can be done much quicker than in the suggested time. Furthermore, the actual journey time is only really 3 minutes.

E759

I travelled Horsham to Cannon St/London Bridge working in Lothbury - 300m from Moorgate station entrance - for 37 years. Only the first 10 years did I change at London Bridge onto a Cannon St service thereafter I walked across London Bridge. With the new London Bridge station the case for walking is even greater. Over the years I saw some fabulous sights walking across the bridge. Definitely recommend walking from London Bridge.

Just to clarify I held 37 consecutive Horsham to London Terminals Annual Season tickets. Very, very occasionally I’d travel into Victoria and use the District to Cannon St using paper ticket/Oyster/contactless as the fashions changed.

Gingee

Hi JB,
Yes, I think this seems the best option- thanks

Gingee

I travelled Horsham to Cannon St/London Bridge working in Lothbury - 300m from Moorgate station entrance - for 37 years. Only the first 10 years did I change at London Bridge onto a Cannon St service thereafter I walked across London Bridge. With the new London Bridge station the case for walking is even greater. Over the years I saw some fabulous sights walking across the bridge. Definitely recommend walking from London Bridge.

Just to clarify I held 37 consecutive Horsham to London Terminals Annual Season tickets. Very, very occasionally I’d travel into Victoria and use the District to Cannon St using paper ticket/Oyster/contactless as the fashions changed.
Thanks JB,

Yes, we both prefer to walk in London if possible- it’s surprising how easy it can be to walk in London and by the time one goes up and down/waits for tubes often it’s quicker.
Thanks for your help,
Regards,
G

Status
Not open for further replies.