• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travel to Italy in November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esker-pades

Established Member
I'm attempting to book tickets from Torino to Palermo for dates in November. My preference is to do an afternoon train from Torino to Roma, and then change onto the sleeper to Palermo.

Trenitalia is not selling through tickets. It is selling tickets for the sleeper (Roma to Palermo), but not the Frecciarossa from Torino. I assume this is because of weekend engineering works.

For the same dates, Italo is selling tickets for the same route. Given I'm now ~2 months out, I'm tempted to opt for them. Should I? Will Italo just re-time me if my hunch of engineering works delaying the timetable publication is right?

What are the rights between the two? (IE: will I be able to continue at no extra cost on a Trenitalia service if my Italo is late?) What minimum interchange should I am for at Roma Termini?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Trenitalia is not selling through tickets. It is selling tickets for the sleeper (Roma to Palermo), but not the Frecciarossa from Torino. I assume this is because of weekend engineering works.
Quite likely, or a public holiday.
I would do a little test-booking and see how
What are the rights between the two? (IE: will I be able to continue at no extra cost on a Trenitalia service if my Italo is late?)
None, and no. They are different companies and the fares are TOC-specific in NR-speak.
What minimum interchange should I am for at Roma Termini?
I would follow Seat61's generic advice and allow "time for a meal or a beer" (other beverages are available...) - especially if you opt for Italo.

TI onboard catering is nothing to write home about (unless you are paying for the top-level option, maybe), and you should be able to find somewhere decent to eat within a few minutes' walk of Termini.

Esker-pades

Established Member
Quite likely, or a public holiday.

None, and no. They are different companies and the fares are TOC-specific in NR-speak.

I would follow Seat61's generic advice and allow "time for a meal or a beer" (other beverages are available...) - especially if you opt for Italo.

TI onboard catering is nothing to write home about (unless you are paying for the top-level option, maybe), and you should be able to find somewhere decent to eat within a few minutes' walk of Termini.
Thanks very much for this.

I don't quite undersant this sentence; could you expand/rephrase please?

Veteran Member
Thanks very much for this.

I don't quite undersant this sentence; could you expand/rephrase please?
Sorry, editing failure - do a test booking and see which bits are bookable on your date.

(I tested and it seems that Milan-Rome isn't loaded for Sunday 12 Nov.)

Veteran Member
Yep, that's what I've been trying. I've got a gap in my itinerary round for that. I hope it gets filled soon.
Your worst case (and an extreme one) is to allow for the extended journey time of an IC or FB that avoids the HSL altogether and runs via Genoa-Livorno.

You don't need to book it because it is highly unlikely that the HS service will be completely cancelled!

Esker-pades

Established Member
What's slightly concerning is that tickets for the 11th November (the date I'm trying to travel) are greyed out, but tickets for the weekends preceding and following are all bookable.

Esker-pades

Established Member
I would strongly recommend looking for alternatives already now.
Does that mean booking alternatives? Is the 1st Nov date for reopening pants (IE: not going to happen)?

(I don't believe my tickets are refundable, so I don't particularly want to put myself 90€ in the hole if the route does open in time. Then again, I get that most of the alternatives will be selling out fast, esp. given the Gotthard situation. Are trains via alternative routes getting full already? Other forum users seem to have been notified ~2 weeks out of the cancellation......is this too close to the date?)

Austriantrain

Established Member
Does that mean booking alternatives? Is the 1st Nov date for reopening pants (IE: not going to happen)?

(I don't believe my tickets are refundable, so I don't particularly want to put myself 90€ in the hole if the route does open in time. Then again, I get that most of the alternatives will be selling out fast, esp. given the Gotthard situation. Are trains via alternative routes getting full already? Other forum users seem to have been notified ~2 weeks out of the cancellation......is this too close to the date?)

Was the 1st November firmly announced? Then I am sorry, I must have missed it. A week ago, the date was mentioned as „the earliest“.

Finding alternatives via either Marseille or Switzerland at short notice is basically easy, but you won’t get the cheapest fares. You will have to be flexible though in case some TGV or Italian long distance services are sold out.

Esker-pades

Established Member
Was the 1st November firmly announced? Then I am sorry, I must have missed it. A week ago, the date was mentioned as „the earliest“.

Finding alternatives via either Marseille or Switzerland at short notice is basically easy, but you won’t get the cheapest fares. You will have to be flexible though in case some TGV or Italian long distance services are sold out.

I don't have any more information than what's in the public domain; that SNCF post with "1st Nov at the earliest" is all I have to go on.

Austriantrain

Established Member
Cool cool. I'll try to hold off for another week or so and hope SNCF is true to their word.

Have you seen the other thread? The line will remain closed for a year.

Esker-pades

Established Member
Have you seen the other thread? The line will remain closed for a year.

Yep; all has been re-booked

Status
Not open for further replies.